Premed 101 Forums

Mock Interview Prep

I don't think this will be necessary, Ottawa's interview scheme doesn't stray far from standard interviews, they don't ask you to perform crazy stunts and no MMIs. Besides, if we put one on it will only benefit people who are in Ottawa and people who can afford to go out of their way to come, that doesn't seem very fair.

But if you wanna get grilled, you are told to come an hour early for the interview anyways, ask whoever is volunteering there to grill you for 45min. :P

It's funny, I was thinking exactly opposite to what Jerry just said.

I just e-mailed the admissions committee in regards to your request bonito. I'm going to see if I can obtain their support to go ahead and set up some mock interviews in the latter half of February. If they are against it, there is no harm in setting it up independently. Some of my classmates/colleagues have already expressed interest in helping set up some days in mid-February to March to do this.

As for the "fair" aspect of what Jerry said, I realize it may seem that way, but in reality, other schools do have mock interviews. Plus, if someone desperately wants to go through a mock interview but is not close to such a resource, there are alternative and other effective ways to prepare for the actual interviews. That being said, I am not saying mock interviews are 100% effective, I just know they can be beneficial.

Anyways, I will post more detail soon once I have some more information as to what I can do and when we can potentially hold these sessions.

I was the one who set up mock interviews last year. I don't think the admin will have a problem with it, but it's good to know they're on your side so check anyways. I have a list of prep questions that we used last year. They reflect the type of questions we were asked, but no more than that, so they don't breach confidentiality. If you end up organizing mocks, let me know if you want it and if you have any questions.

As for the issue of people who live far away, last year we did phone mocks. I don't know if that's something the first year class is interested in, but it is a possibility.

Julie, I'd be very interested in getting involved if you are still willing to do mock interviews this month. I'm still waiting for a response from them so I'll give it the rest of today and maybe monday to see if they respond.

And nine99_9, posting mock questions wouldn't help that much considering you can actually just google many questions. There are ample questions available on varying websites, so it's not the questions themselves that would be beneficial in a mock interview, it's the process + post-interview constructive criticism that may help.

Julie, I'd be very interested in getting involved if you are still willing to do mock interviews this month. I'm still waiting for a response from them so I'll give it the rest of today and maybe monday to see if they respond.

And nine99_9, posting mock questions wouldn't help that much considering you can actually just google many questions. There are ample questions available on varying websites, so it's not the questions themselves that would be beneficial in a mock interview, it's the process + post-interview constructive criticism that may help.

Exactly. There are nothing special about my questions, they could all easily be found online. It's just the practice with someone that's most useful, and maybe somewhat the feedback you get from the mock interviewer.

I think it is a wonderful initiative, however, is it possible to have sessions in Toronto--if some of the students decide to come to Toronto for a break :). I know it is too much to ask; alternatively, can you tell us a few days in advance, so we can find proper transportation/accommodation etc.

Also, can you post those questions Julie? I tried finding them from your old posts--no luck though...could you re-post them please?

Thank you very much for your help guys,

J.

I think it is a wonderful initiative, however, is it possible to have sessions in Toronto--if some of the students decide to come to Toronto for a break :). I know it is too much to ask; alternatively, can you tell us a few days in advance, so we can find proper transportation/accommodation etc.

Also, can you post those questions Julie? I tried finding them from your old posts--no luck though...could you re-post them please?

Thank you very much for your help guys,

J.

I haven't posted them, so you couldn't find them on this forum. However, if you use google, you will find tons on interview questions to prep with. Mine are not better. I'm sorry, I don't want to publish my particular list. I use it to prep people, and it's published and others read it in advance, it will be much less useful to me.

I understand how anxious you guys all are, and how you want to make sure you have every possible tool at your disposition. However I guaranty you that you will find all that you need with a google search. Many of the questions on my list were actually found when I made my own google research for my own interview. And in any case, it's not like you can prep for every particular questions. The interviewers will make them up themselves. Just be yourself and you'll be fine.

Best of luck to everyone!

it's helpful to videotape your friends interviewing you. This way you can see if you exhibit annoying habits under stress, whether you have an unsightly flinch, etc.

it's also good because you get to see what you look like when under stress. Best way is to look friendly and comfortable with your environment at all times. and SMILE!!! some japanese customer services cubicals have a mirror in which the customer services rep have to into into to see whether they are smiling when answering a call.

a calm/happy person is an honest person, if you just got screwed by a question and you are still cracking jokes afterwards, it shows you do well under stress.

Hi everyone!

This may seem like an odd question...but is it common to overprepare for an interview?

I want to be prepared (current events, ethics, etc), but I dont want to go in feeling like I am a robot who has been trained to say certain answers that may appear "right".

I just want to be myself and show the interview panel who I am and what I have to offer to Ottawa U Med.

But then again, when I tell this to other people who ask me how I plan to prepare, they kind of look at me funny lol.

Hi,

Are any mock interviews coming up for UO? I know we talked about it, but no one has set a date; perhaps, if possible, our current medical students can shed some light on the aspects of these mock interviews? when/where/how many per group etc.

Thanks

Jen

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone!

This may seem like an odd question...but is it common to overprepare for an interview?

I want to be prepared (current events, ethics, etc), but I dont want to go in feeling like I am a robot who has been trained to say certain answers that may appear "right".

I just want to be myself and show the interview panel who I am and what I have to offer to Ottawa U Med.

But then again, when I tell this to other people who ask me how I plan to prepare, they kind of look at me funny lol.

Don't worry, there's no way you can think of every permutation of questions and answers. (Now isn't that comforting?)

Study and practice as much as you can, but not so much that you get too stressed out. Then on interview day just be yourself (I assume your self is an awesome candidate), relax, and remember to smile :)

Don't worry, there's no way you can think of every permutation of questions and answers. (Now isn't that comforting?)

Study and practice as much as you can, but not so much that you get too stressed out. Then on interview day just be yourself (I assume your self is an awesome candidate), relax, and remember to smile :)

Thanks Sanserie!

This just goes to show why I want to go to OU Med school so much. From the med students I have met or spoken with, everyone seems so welcoming and friendly! The atmosphere seems so nice and positive! lol Im keeping my fingers crossed till May 15th lol! :)

There was a student at OU who had posted a bio online and one of the things they said in terms of the interview was "be your wonderful, confident self". I have literally cut and pasted that comment everywhere (my agenda, my car, even my puppy heheh jk!)

thank you!!!

Hi everyone!

I think this is a valid concern, and you seem to have the right attitude about it. In my opinion, you want to prep in the sense of thinking of things you'd like to bring up when given the chance, things that are important to you and ideas you would incorporate in different questions. However, I don't think you should be memorizing lines on exactly how you'll answer each question. Ideas is good, a written text that you memorize only to repeat it integrally to interviewers is not. It's better if you're a bit spontaneous.

As Sanserie said, there's no way you'll be able to plan for every question anyway, and if you seem over-rehearsed I'm sure the panel will find a way to throw you off guard ;)

Archived