Premed 101 Forums

Good/Bad Waitlist

Julie you seem to be an expert... people, Julie has the subject matter jurisdiction on this, lol... I just came to the conclusions I did because there isn't a maximum of CNFS students in my class...

Hehe sorry, didn't mean for it to come out that way. That's just what was explained to us on our interview day. It could have changed, as this was nearly 2 years ago... I don't know if the current situation is different. When I applied, they explained on the interview day that CNFS applicants would not compete with others. Someone asked "what if a spot opens on the regular franco waitlist, do we have a chance of getting called?" And they said no. Also, CNFS applicants generally don't find out if they're in or not on the same day others do (it's sooner, before May 15th), which sort of supports my idea that it's just not the same process. It's possible that they were unable to fill the (8?) CNFS spots in your class thought, I guess maybe there just wasn't a whole lot of applicants last year?

ALSO! Let's not assume that everyone in the CNFS pool or MMTP have lower GPAs than those in the regular English stream. The fact that the cutoff is lower does NOT translate to every applicant having a less competitive GPA!! Their GPAs could very well BE 4.0!

Exactly :) Thanks for saying what I was thinking :)

ALSO! Let's not assume that everyone in the CNFS pool or MMTP have lower GPAs than those in the regular English stream. The fact that the cutoff is lower does NOT translate to every applicant having a less competitive GPA!! Their GPAs could very well BE 4.0!

LOL...

True, but if you think about it, a with a wGPA of 4.0 and either a 4.0 or 3.75 interview score, you would be accepted to both the MMTP OR english direct programs without fail (either directly or off the waitlist), there would actually be no need to apply under MMTP, right?

MMTP was meant for people who have served or currently serve with the army as they have military experience and hence assumed to be more compatible with army service/life after graduation. It's a special offer at a lower GPA cutoff to accomodate these candidates, this lower GPA cutoff would not be necessary if over the years Ottawa found MMTP applicants to be equally competitive vs. direct english stream.

And after you are in med, you can apply for military funding, which is the same process anyways (it's somewhat competitive to get military funding I believe). It makes no difference whether you apply for military funding offers before or after your admission.

I don't mean to make fun of the MMTP program tho, the 4 people in my class under MMTP are more determined, more mature, and more enthusiastic than average, they actually make great comrades, I'd be happy to have them operate on me anyday...... or... as soon as I find that lump again.... hmmm....

Archived