Premed 101 Forums

interview dress

hey just making sure, guys normally wear suit/tie to med interviews, i take it?

A suit and tie, but not something incredibly self-indulgent or ostentatious like a three-piece suit or ghetto bling or a full Windsor knot that you aren't quite ready for. A cheap suit that fits well will always look better than one that is pricey and ill-fitting.

At least, a jacket, dress shirt, a tie, dress pants and conservative leather shoes.

No denim, no white sports socks.

If you have never worn business attire before, make sure to spend a couple days in it so you don't look like it's your first day ever wearing a suit.

Food for thought: when you work as a doc, you want to inspire confidence on one hand, but you also do not want to dress in a way that places the attention on you rather than on the patient.

A suit and tie, but not something incredibly self-indulgent or ostentatious like a three-piece suit or ghetto bling or a full Windsor knot that you aren't quite ready for. A cheap suit that fits well will always look better than one that is pricey and ill-fitting.

Haha. Stick with the half-Windsor, folks. Anyway, I have never seen guys wearing anything less than a suit to a medical school interview.

• 3 weeks later...
What do the ladies wear? Professional business attire?

Yeah, I think so. I've been wondering the same thing, but the answers I got were really general (you know, "look professional", "no cleavage", that sort of thing), so I just went out and got a flattering pantsuit with a collared shirt to go underneath. Hopefully it'll look alright and I won't stick out like a sore thumb or anything. :P

Most of the ladies at my other interviews were wearing skirt or pant suits. Most had collared shirts underneath of various colours. There may have been a couple women not wearing suits but still dress pants and a collared shirt. You definitely won't be overdressed in a suit though...it's the people who don't wear suits that stick out (not in a bad way but still..)

At least, a jacket, dress shirt, a tie, dress pants and conservative leather shoes.

No denim, no white sports socks.

If you have never worn business attire before, make sure to spend a couple days in it so you don't look like it's your first day ever wearing a suit.

Food for thought: when you work as a doc, you want to inspire confidence on one hand, but you also do not want to dress in a way that places the attention on you rather than on the patient.

Great advice

Archived