Premed 101 Forums

CCFP-EM working in big cities?

bones

Hello,

I'm wondering which big centres in the country actively recruit/have hired in the recent past CCFP-EMs to work in their emerg departments? Any in Toronto, Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary, Victoria? Perhaps this has already been answered someplace on this bulletin board...

Hey bones

I know a few CCFP-EM certified physicians who work in North Vancouver and Burnaby hospitals. These are suburbs of Vancouver, 10-20 minute drive from Vancouver proper. The North Vancouver hospital (Lion's Gate) is actually a trauma hospital as well. I don't know if there are any CCFP-EMs at Vancouver General or Royal Columbian (the two major trauma hospitals), but I do know they had a job posting recently and said they wanted either FRCPC or CCFP-EM trained applicants, so at least there's the possibility.

At St Paul's (downtown Vancouver) the ER docs are about 50/50 CCFP-EM/FRCPC. I know a CCFP-EM who works at Royal Columbian and I'm sure she's not the only one.

In Toronto there are lots of CCFPs at the non-tertiary hospitals (North York, Toronto East General, etc). Remember that the FRCPC programs are pretty small, I think UofT has 8 spots and that's the biggest one, so it's not like those grads are flooding the market. If it weren't for CCFP-EMs there wouldn't be enough emerg docs!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I would have thought that almost every place that you said would have hired recently, but as to whether or not they are currently hiring at the moment is something that you may have to do a bit more in depth research to find that out.

I hope that you find what you are looking for.

I think as long as there are 2 training paths, there will have to be CCFP-EMs in teaching hospitals...because someone has to run the training program.

For the next while it doesn`t seem there will be enough FRCPC grads to push the CCFP-EMs out of the market. Although, in some centres it is harder to get a position as a CCFP-EM but these are a minority of places. And even then, often it just means working part-time for a bit and getting full time a bit later.

Archived