Premed 101 Forums

Interview at Sickkids Hospital.. Help

vick001

I'm a first year undergraduate student and just got an interview at Sickkids for a summer research position in oncology/hem. The research seems so interesting and I really want this position whether I get paid or not. I was just wondering if anyone has had an interview here and what to expect? OR any interview advice in general... The last interview I EVER HAD was in grade 10 at McDonalds. Basically, if I could read the menu, I was hired... I'm sure this won't be that easy lol. Any feedback or information would be nice. Thanks!!

don't dress up too much. they know you are a student.

i assume you are a girl... dark jeans, cords or slacks would do for bottoms. a sweater would do for a top (do not bring out your hoody/sweater with big hollister/AF/AE prints). and sneakers... or leather shoes if they are from the comfort section of the shoe store. NOOOO stilettos. you can wear your backpack to the interview.

read the lab's past research. also read review articles on the research topic.

I'd expect to be asked 1) why you are interested in the research 2) how would your background contribute to their research 3) what your future plans are.

Hmm I wouldn't even know how to answer number 2... I'm in first year so I can't really think of any experience or background things that would help contribute to it...

Hmm I wouldn't even know how to answer number 2... I'm in first year so I can't really think of any experience or background things that would help contribute to it...

I should've phrased it more along the lines of "how are you prepared for this type of work," I think.

I'm just thinking of what I was asked when I sought an undergrad research project.

LOL ima dude bro.. Yea i plan on just wearin a dress shirt.. im more worried about kind of questions to expect, or if anyone in the GTA region already had an interview there.

i thought your name was Vicky.

i interviewed a few times there.

yeah expect the 3 questions Jochi listed for sure. depending on the lab, you might be asked specific questions related to the project, so know the project background and the lab's past research really well. some labs are more relaxed and will ahve decided to hire you before the interview; the interview is just for filtering out the weirdos.

prepare a few questions to ask at the end to show your interest and also make sure you aren't stepping into crap, like 1) who will supervise/assist me; 2) what will the hours be like? 3) how often will you give me feedback on my progress? 4) i can't think of any right now.

if you are iffy about animals, ask whether you'll be using animals.

Ty so much. I got a week before the interview so I got time to read some journals and gain some insight on the work. Hopefully, I do well enough to get a position. Would be nice to have research experience starting from first year...

I' ll let you guys know how it goes.. Thanks for the help

I'd say try not to act like a total noob. As in "I don't know nothing, please baby me!". Of course if you're in 1st year, you probably don't know much, but try to read up on the techniques the lab uses and the type of work they are interested in. They're not going to expect much if they know you are a 1st year, but it shows you take initiative, and you can work semi-autonomously.

Also, be ready for: why do you want to do research? (and don't say to beef up your med school app as that may backfire).

For my interview, just a dress shirt tucked into your pants with some dress shoes and my laptop back over my shoulder (bring copy of CV and whatever else you sent just in-case).

And I strongly agree with reading review articles about the topic and not just their research.

Good luck

Dont say to beef up your application but do change the wording and say that this experience will allow you exposure into medical research and the medical field blah blah. in my first year interviews for jobs and research, I always mentioned my goals (ie want to be a doctor) with confidence and they love that.

Dont say to beef up your application but do change the wording and say that this experience will allow you exposure into medical research and the medical field blah blah. in my first year interviews for jobs and research, I always mentioned my goals (ie want to be a doctor) with confidence and they love that.

I would be careful saying your aiming for med school. I think that could backfire in some circumstances. I would be more general in describing my goals as a pre-med...

REALLY!? lol I already stated in my application that my career goal was medicine...

Don't worry about it now. Remember, you just finished your first year; it's okay to have varied interests (medicine included). Read up on your investigator's research and be enthusiastic about the work!

Last year I put in my application to sick kids that I was interested in medicine and it didn't backfire. In the interview they told me how they have a really good track-record for their summer students getting into medical school as a selling point for their lab. I think it's a given that the majority of the students in the program want to get into med school. My tip that a friend of mine told me is to make sure you send a followup email the next day thanking them for the time they took interview you and point out something about the interview that you liked/found interesting. Also have some small-talk discussion ready in case you have to walk with interviewer anywhere before the interview (i had to go in an elevator... a very slow elevator). Good luck! Getting to the interview is the hardest part!

Last year I put in my application to sick kids that I was interested in medicine and it didn't backfire. In the interview they told me how they have a really good track-record for their summer students getting into medical school as a selling point for their lab. I think it's a given that the majority of the students in the program want to get into med school. My tip that a friend of mine told me is to make sure you send a followup email the next day thanking them for the time they took interview you and point out something about the interview that you liked/found interesting. Also have some small-talk discussion ready in case you have to walk with interviewer anywhere before the interview (i had to go in an elevator... a very slow elevator). Good luck! Getting to the interview is the hardest part!

Ty, all this advice is so useful. I'm just finishing up some midterms and have the weekend to prep. Man everything is going so great this semester.. Last semester I was starting to get worried when I finished with a 78 percent average (first year first semester).. I usually never get worried or stressed.. This semesters going so well, scoring low 90s on midterms, starting volunteer work, finally getting back to teaching myself to play piano.. Thank you for all the help..

Ty, all this advice is so useful. I'm just finishing up some midterms and have the weekend to prep. Man everything is going so great this semester.. Last semester I was starting to get worried when I finished with a 78 percent average (first year first semester).. I usually never get worried or stressed.. This semesters going so well, scoring low 90s on midterms, starting volunteer work, finally getting back to teaching myself to play piano.. Thank you for all the help..

The reason why the premed reason could backfire in some cases is because many PI will see the students try to use the research opportunity as a stepping stone for boost their chances in getting in med school rather than for the pure interest of his/her research. Some PI straight hate this, while others might use it to their advantage (ie. our lab have a track record of sending people to medical school, which means that you better work hard enough to get us results). I would suggest you to impress your interview er by stating why you are so excited about their lab and research, how you think you can contribute to the team. PI normally loves it and it is often the safest bet if you can convince them that their research interest coincide well with your career objective, i.e. medical related research.

this really depends on the lab and PI. from my experience, most MDs and MD/phDs are easier on pre-meds. this is a generalization, of course, and is probably influenced by my own speculation. the phDs can be friendly too.

i find that a lot of the associate scientists who actually run the labs for some PIs hold foreign MDs. if they interview you, i guess you shouldn't be afraid to say you want to go to med school.

Archived