Premed 101 Forums

Written portion pre-interview

This is the first year of the new interview format.

Elaine

and since any information would be out by now I think it is safe to say that we will not be learning anything specific about the writing sample (other than the approximate time given to write it) prior to the interview day. They are likely trying to prevent pre-writing etc of it before hand.

This might explain why the writing sample on the MCAT fell in value this year. They have their own writing sample in effect. Likely they will also be taken steps to prevent the latter interview people from having an advantage either - quite possibly different writing questions :)

Speculation of course, but to me it seems somewhat logical.

I hope by "write" they mean "type" because they are either not going to be able to read what I'm going to write or they'll be reading something that's half done because I write neatly so slowly -___-;;

worried about that as well. First time I did the mcat I got a P in writing. The second time I got an S. Part of the difference in my mind is when I write essays I type them and am simply more comfortable about it that way.

Well I guess we will know soon enough :)

lol, I am in the same situation. If I have to write by hand and I am being evaluated on it, they might as well give me the axe now.

I had to handwrite my paramedic school application essay, it was brutal. They want to make sure your writing is legible, since you have to fill out a bunch of paperwork for every pt.

I tried SO hard, and I still got picked on about my handwriting, lol.

LOL, but now everyone on my paramedic practicum is like, "Wow, look at your handwriting, you should be a doctor!":p :rolleyes:

I had to handwrite my paramedic school application essay, it was brutal. They want to make sure your writing is legible, since you have to fill out a bunch of paperwork for every pt.

I tried SO hard, and I still got picked on about my handwriting, lol.

LOL, but now everyone on my paramedic practicum is like, "Wow, look at your handwriting, you should be a doctor!":p :rolleyes:

lol, since I was 9, my Mom's been saying that I'll have to be a doctor because my handwriting is so bad.

i wonder if someone from the first interiew weekend will share the details of the written portion...

That's a violation of confidentiality and is frankly unfair to too many people. I don't go on the first day but wouldn't want/expect anyone to do so. Just because really want a seat in meds doesn't mean we sacrifice our integrity for it.

That's a violation of confidentiality and is frankly unfair to too many people. I don't go on the first day but wouldn't want/expect anyone to do so. Just because really want a seat in meds doesn't mean we sacrifice our integrity for it.

Doubt it would help anyway. You already know you will have a question, it will take 15 mins or so to do. I doubt the question will always be the same so you can expect that to change and knowing a past one won't give you an advantage.

If you want to practice now write out you answer for what you think the top 10 med school interview questions are. Maybe it won't be any of those but at least you will get practice and a sense of timing for short essays.

I am also sure that elaine will immediately remove any postings revealing too much here as well :)

fair enough. its true - how much preparation can you hope to have in a 15 minute exercise?

i have a feelings its something they get you to do before the interview and that they might use as a direction for the interview conversation... or maybe to get something out of the way like "why do you want to be a doctor".

I feel we're all capable. No worries!

And those with awful writing: it's time for us all to work on it. Don't know why Drs "all" have bad handwriting, I have met a Dermatologist who had bubble-writing. So it's possible. Plus, bad handwriting can lead to ciphers for prescriptions --> who knows the outcome of that!

Just a thought.

Good luck to all on this writing sample! I'm sure it will be fun!

Doubt it would help anyway. You already know you will have a question, it will take 15 mins or so to do. I doubt the question will always be the same so you can expect that to change and knowing a past one won't give you an advantage.

If you want to practice now write out you answer for what you think the top 10 med school interview questions are. Maybe it won't be any of those but at least you will get practice and a sense of timing for short essays.

I am also sure that elaine will immediately remove any postings revealing too much here as well :)

Yeah elaine would definitely be on that, and rightfully so :P . However if last year is any indication, they might end up standardizing it so all of them would be the same.

for all we know messy handwriting gets bonus points for already being physician-like.

I heard that's what the sample is actually for. They get you to write out a scrip for 1000mg of ASA and then they show it to a panel of pharmacists. If 4 out of 5 can read it, you don't get in.

- Premed guy.

Archived