Premed 101 Forums

OOP/NB/PEI Waiting Countdown

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, bud, I haven't been doing that great, rofl. The degree I'm taking as a backup (chemical engineering) hasn't really been doing it for me this semester. I'm doing alright, and I'll get my 3.8 GPA, but all the while it kind of feels like a punishment for not getting into Dal last year. The anticipation is keeping me up at night, haha.

Give me an honest opinion on this: MUN puts a lot of value in improvement. Here are my year's GPAs (on 4.3 scale).

1st = 3.1, 2nd = 3.4, 3rd = 4.0, 4th = 4.0

Last semester I was in 26 credit hours (9 courses) and my GPA dropped to a 3.4 for the semester. Honest opinions of how that will weigh in?

To tell you the truth, I think you were asking for punishment. What were you thinking when you decided to take 9 courses (whats the rush?)? It seems as though that you are continuing you undergrad cycle once again (gpa wise).

It would be good if memorial considers improvement, but how do you think that will hold up against applicants that have had 4.0 across all four years? Do you know if memorial only considers certain # of top years for consideration, or all of the years?

I have no idea what goes on behind the curtain at memorial after the interview, but all i have heard is that if they bother to call you for an interview... they are interested and after the interview it depends on your luck. Truthfully, I think memorial was simply interviewing too many people for the seats, as i heard correctly, it was like 5:1 acceptance ratio, compared to other schools with 2:1 acceptance ratio.

Either way, I guess we have to wait and see how our luck lasted us until March!!

comments anyone...?, I am bored, and I would like to read what rest of you guys have to say

Haha, yeah, I asked myself that "what was I thinking" question once or twice... But the reason was that, since I was a transfer student from another degree, I had to take that load so that I'd be in with the other second years. I had to do the regular classes for that sem, and then a few first year ones that I didn't get credit for.

I didn't really know that MUN needed Christmas grades, but oh well, we are where we are, haha. Best of luck in the coming weeks!

• 2 weeks later...

curiosity quencher:

days when people received their "good" notifications from MUN in registered mail (even though they were told they would hear back by the end of March---This is for NB folk)

2004 - March 17th (St Patrick Day)

2005 - March 17th

2006 - March 13th

2007 - Before March 13th....exact day not sure

2008 - March 12th

2009 - Next week sometime (2nd week of march) ~ anxious/hoping/waiting/wishing

Wishing you all the best of luck...I have to wait at least 3 more MONTHS before I hear ! :(

Haha, hey, at least you know that you've got three months. Anyone who was an applicant to Dal last year knows that's way better than having no bloody clue of when you're going to hear back.

someone please call... I keep on visiting this site, just waiting to see a thread "NB Acceptances are OUT for 2013" :eek:

I think I've already used up my phone calls to them. I've called like, 3 or 4 times since the start of January, haha, and I know how crazy of a time of year it is, so I don't want to get on anyones nerves.

Someone else can call, but honestly, I doubt it will do anything to quell your anxiety, and it won't change the outcome either. Just sit back and squirm with the rest of us :P.

I never understand how interviews are organized at MUN. I know people IP who've had them months apart. All I do know is, on friday afternoons, I like to stay in my lab on the 4th floor, as far away as I can get from the admissions office. Tension is thick on friday afternoons here, haha.

why are people in admissions stressed on fridays? (they 'seemed' friendly to the applicants...)?

I believe, interviews are happening this friday too...

psst, Mike, you should go down there sometime and ask when they are planning to send out first round of notification for the entering class of 09 ;)

nonono, not the people at the office, but people showing up for interviews, haha.

And as for your request, while I could do a favor out of the kindness of my wondrous heart, seeing as I don't even apply until the fall, I want to stay as long as I can away from being on their annoying applicant list.

But when the time comes, I'm sure I'll be #1. Sorry astudentis.

If it makes any difference, last year the IP results went out on June 1st. I'm not sure what that means for OOP (do they get it early?) but I remember the day well because a lot of people I knew sat at their living room windows that day. The worst thing about it is that you know right away if you got in or not without having to open the letter. If its an acceptance, you have to sign for it. Rejection, it goes straight to your mailbox.

Haha, I remember one anecdotal story of a guy who waited at his window all afternoon, and he said it was like a slow motion scene from a movie when the mailtruck came to deliver a signed envelope. He got up and ran to greet the mailguy on the lawn and thanked him graciously

Archived