Premed 101 Forums

Interesting MMI question

Jabs

Heard this on WCBA...

You abroad on a trip in Romania, and you lost your backpack with your passport in it. You arrive at your youth hostel. Actor in room is receptionist at hostel. Tell her what happened.

The catch here is that the receptionist only speaks romanian.

How would you tell the receptionist you lost your passport!

Oh boy... this would be my favourite MMI station of all time. I've travelled through many a non-English speaking city, and have mastered the art of using hand gestures and two English words to explain something. My friends always laugh their asses off at me, but it works.

Tip #1: If someone doesn't understand English, they still won't understand it if you speak LOUDLY and sloooowly.

Tip #2: Shamelessly play charades with yourself.

I also wonder how they'd rate your ability to make yourself understood, though. For some reason I imagine that the interviewer would be deliberately stubborn and act like they're not picking up on what your saying. My method depends on the person saying "AHHH... pass...port?" so I can explain the next part. ;)

ahhh man, i'm awesome at charades, especially for houseware and celebrities (toilet, lamp, Rosie O'Donnell, Tom Cruise, Tyra Banks, you name them). but i don't think i can pretend to be a passport. so i'll use my not so awesome drawing skills.

would we be provided with a board to draw on for a station like this?

I imagine they'd have to make the language up.....

However if they didn't, here's another question.

Say you're fluent in Romanian, would you go in demonstrating your language prowess, or would you be worried that the interviewer's would think that you were undermining the purpose of the task with showmanship?

Luckily for me.... I speak English and recognize a hand full of french words so this won't be a problem lol.

Archived