Premed 101 Forums

"Doing Right"

yj09

Anyone else having trouble getting a hold of this sacred book? It's sold out in amazon.ca, chapters.indigo.ca and Indigo (the bookstore) doesn't even carry it. It's checked out in all libraries....

Everyone that I talked to told me to read this book, like it's a requirement for med school interviews. My interview is in less than two weeks :eek:

Anyone have any suggestions?

Anyone else having trouble getting a hold of this sacred book? It's sold out in amazon.ca, chapters.indigo.ca and Indigo (the bookstore) doesn't even carry it. It's checked out in all libraries....

Everyone that I talked to told me to read this book, like it's a requirement for med school interviews. My interview is in less than two weeks :eek:

I don't know what more to suggest, since you seem to have exhausted all possibilities. Even if you do get your hands on it in the next week, that won't leave much time to read it, and really let its information sink in. The only thing I might suggest is that, if you don't get in this year, get on the ball earlier next time around. Hopefully it won't be an issue :D.

Try borrowing a copy. Ask people who have finished interviews or first year medical students. Another option is check into a used bookstore. You may have some luck in one close to a university maybe?

My only interview is this weekend and I would happily lend you my copy if you lived in Vancouver.

Other than that I would suggest Google. The book mainly discusses autonomy, confidentiality, disclosure, consent, capacity in depth. Find examples where each of these issues are tried and pushed to the limits and try to just work through the issues with each point of view.

Hope that helps.

Try borrowing a copy. Ask people who have finished interviews or first year medical students. Another option is check into a used bookstore. You may have some luck in one close to a university maybe?

My only interview is this weekend and I would happily lend you my copy if you lived in Vancouver.

Other than that I would suggest Google. The book mainly discusses autonomy, confidentiality, disclosure, consent, capacity in depth. Find examples where each of these issues are tried and pushed to the limits and try to just work through the issues with each point of view.

Hope that helps.

Thanks so much! That was so nice of you to offer me your copy....too bad I'm in Toronto :(

I will do the best I can with online resources like you suggested.

Good luck with your interview!

I read the book in two evenings and recommend it. I read CMAJ series last year too. It is ok, but I found the book better. But if you can't find the book you can scrap together what you need from that CMAJ series.

Regardless of where you are interviewing there is always a chance some ethical issues will come up in a traditional interview or MMI. If they do this book will give you what you need to feel confident addressing the most common ethical questions. It is an easy read as well. Nice and concise and to the point. You don't have to have a major in philosophy to understand it.

Western has a few copies of the book at Taylor in the stacks. That is where I got mine last year. So if you need it and have the good fortune to be at Western there ya go!

The author is also one of our ethics lecturers at UT meds. If you ever have the chance to hear him speak I recommend taking up the opportunity. :)

Hey,

Try your campus bookstore (if you're a student... which I imagine so). I couldn't find the book either online or in store so I tried campus and they had 25 or so. The same thing happened with the Exam Krackers VR, Give it a whirl!

As per how useful it is, I have only read the first bit of it but I find it fairly useful. It's true you can get all the stuff online probably, but this just puts it into a nice and orderly package for you. Good luck finding it.

• 2 weeks later...

I must have got the last copy on Amazon. Ordered it in february and received it 2 weeks ago. Slowly read it over the last couple weeks and found it really insightful. I liked the perspective that Dr. Herbert gives, particularly from the practical stand point. Everyone likes to be armchair philosophers and say what they would do, and often these are 'best case' decisions. However, things like being rushed, or at the end of a long working day come into play, and Dr. Herbert discusses them. In fact he doesn't belittle anyone who would, for example, prescribe antibiotics to someone with a viral cold. Ethical decisions are not made in a faccume, and I really liked how Dr. Herbert impresses that.

Archived