Premed 101 Forums

Which Schools in Ontario take your Best MCAT vs. most recent MCAT?

I was going to email McMaster later today and ask them what their policy is (best mcat or most recent one). But, what is the policy for other Ontario schools? I have had a hard time finding this. I will edit this post once I have the answers for others

Toronto? - Most Recent (thanks to medhopeful)

Western? - Most Recent (thanks to supafield)

Queens? - Best (thanks to supafield)

McMaster? - (I will email them)

Mac only taking your most recent score is actually a huge problem for me. Right now I have 12 in VR and 9 in the other 2 sections. Should I re-write for Queens and Western, and risk losing my 12 for Mac?

This is just my opinion of course....

But if you can pull 11's across the board and say an R.... (or at least 10's and an 11 in bio) you've 99.9% guaranteed you'll get interviews at Queen's and Western...

At mac, with all the other subjective components to the application.... you never know how they'll judge your abs question answers.... I feel like that 12 will put you in a good situation but doesn't guarantee you anything.

This is just me though, I would much prefer to know exactly where I stand rather than leave it up to some marker I don't know. You also never know, you may go 12 or higher again. In the end you have a good idea of how well you could actually do on the MCAT and that's what I recommend you decide from... do you think you can get your sciences up to 10's and 11's? If so... I vote go for it!

Mac only taking your most recent score is actually a huge problem for me. Right now I have 12 in VR and 9 in the other 2 sections. Should I re-write for Queens and Western, and risk losing my 12 for Mac?

I agree with Supafield. Depending on your GPA, if you get your MCAT up you can know with high confidence that you'll interview at Queen's and Western. Mac on the other hand is a crapshoot no matter what you do.

This is just my opinion of course....

But if you can pull 11's across the board and say an R.... (or at least 10's and an 11 in bio) you've 99.9% guaranteed you'll get interviews at Queen's and Western...

At mac, with all the other subjective components to the application.... you never know how they'll judge your abs question answers.... I feel like that 12 will put you in a good situation but doesn't guarantee you anything.

This is just me though, I would much prefer to know exactly where I stand rather than leave it up to some marker I don't know. You also never know, you may go 12 or higher again. In the end you have a good idea of how well you could actually do on the MCAT and that's what I recommend you decide from... do you think you can get your sciences up to 10's and 11's? If so... I vote go for it!

I actually really appreciate the advice guys.

My current thoughts is that I should spend some serious time this summer studying, and then see what I am scoring on PS and BS. If Im not fairly regularly scoring 11s, or at least 10, I wont write. Im pretty confident I can score 11 again on VR, just 12s are hard to come by, and I was worried that by rewriting I might be blowing a good chance at Mac.

Edit: And yes, my 2 years GPA is def. good enough for Queens/Western, just because of 1st year, it was too low for Mac (it will be ~3.75-3.8 next year).

I believe 12 in VR is very very competitive so if you have high enough GPA for mcmaster (probably at least 3.9 these days) then dont rewrite b/c you have a solid chance at mcmaster.

I believe 12 in VR is very very competitive so if you have high enough GPA for mcmaster (probably at least 3.9 these days) then dont rewrite b/c you have a solid chance at mcmaster.

If you look at it strictly from an odds maximizing perspective, two "guaranteed" interviews is much better than a good shot at Mac - especially considering Mac is known for being quite random.

Yeah, but the GPA I will submit to Mac next year will only be a 3.75-3.8 (I had a crappy 1st year).

Archived