Premed 101 Forums

Research in OB/GYN

snoozy

I'm a Calgary med student interested in matching to OB/GYN. How much do OB/GYN programs put an emphasis on research (clinical or lab-based) compared to clinical experiences/electives? We don't get summers to do research projects; meanwhile in second year we have the option of pursuing clinical encounter or research in addition to classes. Is it worth the effort to pursue research outside of class time, or should I still mainly focus on making my clinical skills etc strong?

Thanks everyone!!

• 1 month later...

Hey, I know it has been a while since snoopy posted this, but I am coming back to it because I have the exact same question. I am wondering how big an emphasis there is on research when applying to residency in OBGYN. Any information on this would be awesome! If anyone happens to know specifically for Toronto, that would be even more awesome. Thanks!

As with any specialty, research helps because it shows interest in the specialty and research, analytical skills, and blah blah blah...

Lots of people get in without research though. There's not harm in getting involved in something so that you can at least submit and "abstract" on your CaRMs application withouth having to have a publication.

Archived