Premed 101 Forums

Francophone Assessment

Content specifics aside, does anyone know a bit about the format of the Francophone assessment? MMI type questions? Or are they actually culturally relevant questions? (ie - evaluate the importance of cultural relativity in ICE or CCC placements? (Although that falls into MMI zones too))

And from what I could gather, Francophone assessment rests solely in a 25-minute verbal evaluation. Can anyone confirm that?

J'ai entendu parler que c'est juste une conversation courte pendant laquelle nous discutons d'ou nous venons, ce que nous sommes en train de faire, etc. Et il y a deux ans que c'etait une petite dissertation.. mais, ce n'est pas vraiment une bonne mesure d'apres moi... mais de toute facon, ne vous en faites pas! Ils voudraient tout simplement savoir si vous parlez bien le francais.

Hello there,

I'm not a Francophone applicant, but I just wanted to add that if you do a search of this NOSM forum, you'll get some hits of what the assessment involved in past years.

mbeta: In the information I received, I understood it as you have a choice to answer in the language you are most comfortable with for the bilingual MMI (depending if they have that station at all sessions). I didn't read anything saying you HAVE to answer in French if you are a Francophone applicant. That being said, you may have received different instructions than me.

Good luck to all,

H

L'ete dernier, j'ai demande la responsable au bureau d'admission a propos de cet evaluation. Elle m'a dit que c'etait plus qu'un test oral. Ils veulent vraiment savoir quel est votre lien a la communaute francophone.

Vis-a-vis le station bilingue.. c'est votre choix.

Bonne chance a tous...

On the schedule, it says that the Francophone assessment is 25 minutes, but you do not see an interviewer for 25 minutes. All of the Francophone applicants go to a different room and wait together. I believe there were about 3 or 4 interviewers for this part last year, all in their own room. The applicants wait in the waiting area (for a maximum of 25 min) until their name is called, and then they enter one of the rooms and talk to the interviewer for just a few minutes (mine was about 2 minutes last year). They ask you questions about yourself and do not evaluate the content of your answer, but instead evaluate your fluency in French. Sometimes it's not even a direct question, for example they could ask you to talk about anything you want. This is definitely not a stressful station. If you are comfortable in French you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Merçi pour l'information!

De qu'est-ce que j'ai compris d'un premier coup d'oeuil en lisant la lettre envoyer par ÉMNO, j'anticipais un entrevue intense de 25 minutes et je m'en questionnais de mon abilité de parlé pour cette concession de temps avec un mesure d'intélligence après 100 minutes de 'MMI-ing'.

Phewf! (I guess I'm assuming that last one is multilingual. Or maybe the French version is Pheouf! Thanks again everyone.)

And in terms of having to answer the bilingual station in French, I don't believe there is an obligation nor do I believe that there should be. A Francophone choosing to answer in English might just be displaying a strong mastery of the English language and that station, I believe, is simply a display of courtesy.

Archived