Premed 101 Forums

Updated Point Breakdown for Interview

Hey all. A friend of mine spoke recently with Dr. Sutton at an event in Halifax, and he was provided with the following numbers for the Dalhousie point breakdown for this year:

Academic Component (30):

-GPA 15

-MCAT 10

-Discretion Points (R,S or T on MCAT, working while in school, published research, varsity athletics) 5

Supplemental (30)

-Interests/Clubs/Volunteer Experience 15

-Jobs 5

-Supplemental Letter 10

Interview

-MMI Interview 40

I don't know if this will help or hurt your anticipation/anxiety levels, but there it is anyway. See you in a few months!

I don't know what the actual cut-offs have been in the last few years because we aren't given our scores if we are accepted. But, I've heard that the cut-offs may have gone down since the 84%. This is not verified though.

It can actually be difficult to get high scores. Obviously the GPA and MCAT scores are more objective but supplemental sections are more subjective and so its difficult to tell how many points you'll get.

I had a lower undergrad GPA and a lower MCAT before and my score was 69% when I was rejected for the class of 2011. I improved my MCAT by 6 points and was accepted the next year. I can only imagine most of my scores remained the same except for maybe the interview because that is when the MMIs were brought in.

I wouldn't get too caught up in trying to figure out where you fit in the subjective scores and where cut-offs are, it'll drive you crazy.

Good luck everyone. See you at interviews!

Hey all. A friend of mine spoke recently with Dr. Sutton at an event in Halifax, and he was provided with the following numbers for the Dalhousie point breakdown for this year:

Academic Component (30):

-GPA 15

-MCAT 10

-Discretion Points (R,S or T on MCAT, working while in school, published research, varsity athletics) 5

Supplemental (30)

-Interests/Clubs/Volunteer Experience 15

-Jobs 5

-Supplemental Letter 10

Interview

-MMI Interview 40

I don't know if this will help or hurt your anticipation/anxiety levels, but there it is anyway. See you in a few months!

supplemental letter is essay right?

• 6 months later...
Does anyone know if reference letters actually count for something?

I don't see them in the above point breakdown.

Maybe they are used as a flag for poor applicants. Or murderers. Or both.

Given that they're only required once you have an interview, I imagine they are more of a screen... If they had some weight you'd think they'd allow all applicants to have them evaluated to see who should get an interview.

But who knows lol.

They do not have any point value, they are used as more of a red flag. But they sometimes are important to tell them about the applicant and you never know some of the info in there could wind up giving you extra points somewhere else in the scoring.

The scoring breakdown is:

GPA 15

MCAT 10

Discretionary 5

Essay 10

Supplemental 20 (activities/interests 5; jobs 5; volunteer 5; medically related experience 5)

Interview 40

-GPA 15

-MCAT 10

Does anyone know how the 4.0 omsas gpa system would translate into the GPA e.i. a 3.8 would be a 12 or something like ?

Same question for the MCAT scoring , what mcat score would translate into which numeric score ect.

thanks!

Guessing from the marks I was told I received and my mcat/gpa scores, I assume it is:

4.0 = 15, ..., 3.3 = 8

and 34 = 10, 33 = 9, etc...

Mine lined up with those, but I can't comment on the linearity of it all.

EDIT: I thought it might be interesting to note that the average (out of 25) for that component last year was 18...I think.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems like people have a good idea how the MCAT is calculated into your ranking.

However does anyone know if there is a difference between maritime and non-maritime applicants.

If maritime applicants get a score that goes up from 24 = 0 , 25 = 1, 26 = 2... 34 = 10... do non-maritime applicants score on that same scale and all score between 6-10 given that an OOP needs at least a 30.

Or.... do non-maritimes have there own similar scale that starts at 30 = 0 , 31 = 1, 32 = 2..... 40 = 10?

In the end my MCAT is what it is, but it would still be nice to know if I have a 2/10 on the MCAT portion or an 8 lol.

Lol... it took a fair bit of research but I was able to get a decent idea as per dalhousie's FAQ's where I really should have looked first.

18. I am a non Maritime applicant. What determines whether I will get an interview?

The non Maritime pool is very competitive with over 150 eligible applications for nine seats. Only a portion of applicants (usually 50-60) are invited for an interview. Since the academic standards are already set at a high level, it is the essay & supplementary sheet which determine whether you will be competitive enough to receive an interview.

These numbers are pretty old, but it would seem if they still hold this philosophy, that they won't be rewarding 40's over 38's lol.

Perhaps I missed this when skimming thread.

But does dal notify applicants of their pre-mmi scores?

W

PS Thanks to those who gave the breakdown

I don't think they do. They just notify you of if you get an interview or not. At that point, if you're IP and don't get an interview, you can request a feedback session. If you're OOP and get rejected for an interview, you can't ask for a feedback session. Otherwise, you just go to your interview and hope for the best :D.

Archived