Premed 101 Forums

Totally disappointed

I have just completed a BA and BSc (5 year program) at the UofC and I'm just taking time off to work for a year when BAM, I've just been completely rejected from every med school I applied for (UofA, UofC, USask, UBC). Granted it's my first time applying, I'm still totally bummed out.

My stats:

cGPA: 3.2

Best two: 3.67

MCAT: 33Q (10PS, 12VR, 11 BS)

ECs: Typical 4hr/week at hospital. UC club memberships in my undergrad, manager role at my current job.

BUT the first 3 years of my GPA were quite horrid. I got a 2.9, 2.7, 2.9 respectively (and believe it or not, this was all due to a boy I was recklessly in love with in my silly youngling years, silly me). Anyway, I was just completely immature and I managed to pull myself together the last two years and ended up with a 4.00 in my last semester

Sorry for my ranting, just felt like I'm on the verge of a nervous break down, I feel like I can really do this, but my GPA for the first 3 years of my undergrad were horrid and I even had to retake Organic Chem as I got a D on the first time around.

So I guess I just want some honest opinions here; is med school just a dream for me? Or will my earlier academics come back to haunt me? Right now I'm just working in a managerial position (if that even makes a difference), I'm not even sure if I should take some correspondence courses to help boost my GPA or if I should just concentrate on some massive EC's. Any honest opinions (good or bad) are appreciated, just don't want to chase something that I can never have because right now, that's exactly how it feels. :confused:

queens and western for you dear...

I have just completed a BA and BSc (5 year program) at the UofC and I'm just taking time off to work for a year when BAM, I've just been completely rejected from every med school I applied for (UofA, UofC, USask, UBC). Granted it's my first time applying, I'm still totally bummed out.

My stats:

MCAT: 31Q (10PS, 12VR, 11 BS)

ECs: Typical 4hr/week at hospital. UC club memberships in my undergrad, manager role at my current job.

BUT the first 3 years of my GPA were quite horrid. I got a 2.9, 2.7, 2.9 respectively (and believe it or not, this was all due to a boy I was recklessly in love with in my silly youngling years, silly me). Anyway, I was just completely immature and I managed to pull myself together the last two years and ended up with a 4.00 in my last semester

Sorry for my ranting, just felt like I'm on the verge of a nervous break down, I feel like I can really do this, but my GPA for the first 3 years of my undergrad were horrid and I even had to retake Organic Chem as I got a D on the first time around.

So I guess I just want some honest opinions here; is med school just a dream for me? Or will my earlier academics come back to haunt me? Right now I'm just working in a managerial position (if that even makes a difference), I'm not even sure if I should take some correspondence courses to help boost my GPA or if I should just concentrate on some massive EC's. Any honest opinions (good or bad) are appreciated, just don't want to chase something that I can never have because right now, that's exactly how it feels. :confused:

My stats:

A couple things: are you sure that's supposed to be 31Q, not 33Q?

If you have two solid years of GPA (you said it was a 5-year program) then UWO would be a good shot. Since your last years are your best, UOttawa's weighting formula would be perfect for you. I think you still have a great shot, if you need help feel free to PM me.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think your best two year is quite high enough for Queens. Don't they usually expect around 3.8 for that?

UO seems to expect a very high GPA for your most recent three. The rough calculation in my head tells me your wGPA would be 3.5, which is not good enough.

For 2009, Western's GPA cut-off was 3.75.

Your marks are not competitive, even the best two years.

Luckily for you, this is not the end of the world. There are lots of things you can do. You could take a special year to improve your marks. You could do a second degree. You could look into med schools in other countries (I suspect your MCAT score would open up possibilities in the States). Do some research, and figure out what's right for you -- and also if medicine is worth all the extra effort (I imagine it is, but I never like to assume). And also, don't freak out -- it's just medicine.

Have you (OP) considered Australia? You could apply now for Feb 2010 admittance to UQ. Or, if you're hell-bent on staying in Canada, you may just need to do another year of undergrad to pump up the GPA (continuing on with ECs, of course).

I got an interview this year with a (most recent two years) 3.745

and my cumulative is 3.29 so I don't think that's what did it for me lol.

But I think I was cutting it dangerously close....

Wow congrats! Just wondering, what were your ECs and what school was it, if you're willing to divulge such information??

In response to everyone else, it seems like it's what I suspected.... I'm really boned if I don't take an extra year; Well I'm an Albertan IP so I always figured my best shot was at the UofC, going to Ontario as an OP might be too much of a stretch for someone of my academic standings... I actually have thought about going to another country. I was recently at a St. George seminar and it didn't really seem too promising.. sure it seemed easy to get in, but they made it sound like I would very likely never be able to practice back in Canada.

At this rate, I might as well do some correspondance courses through Athabasca University or something or some post-bachelor courses, I hope the med schools are usually ok with it.

My stats:

also do you mean 33Q on your mcat?

At this rate, I might as well do some correspondance courses through Athabasca University or something or some post-bachelor courses, I hope the med schools are usually ok with it.

A word of caution about Athabasca - they aren't on a curve so the profs tend to be quite stingy about A's. I've found my Athabasca grades are not bad but they definitely aren't as high as those from similar courses I took at the UofA in my undergrad. Talking to some of the folks taking the AU labs with me it seems like they give plenty of B+/A- but few higher grades, pr perhaps I was just talking to the wrong people :P.

A word of caution about Athabasca - they aren't on a curve so the profs tend to be quite stingy about A's. I've found my Athabasca grades are not bad but they definitely aren't as high as those from similar courses I took at the UofA in my undergrad. Talking to some of the folks taking the AU labs with me it seems like they give plenty of B+/A- but few higher grades, pr perhaps I was just talking to the wrong people :P.

Dunno what you're talking about, I got a 3.97 taking 10 courses at AU.

I actually find it much easier to get good grades via AU! The courses are a lot of work though, because you have to do it all yourself, but they give grades easily. For example, in Chem 217, the tutor told me that the margin of error for experimental results is something like 50%... so, as long as you're within 50% of the expected results, you get full marks. I'm sure that varies for different lab courses, but the point is that it isn't any harder to get good marks that in any other university, if anything, it is easier.

I actually find it much easier to get good grades via AU! The courses are a lot of work though, because you have to do it all yourself, but they give grades easily. For example, in Chem 217, the tutor told me that the margin of error for experimental results is something like 50%... so, as long as you're within 50% of the expected results, you get full marks. I'm sure that varies for different lab courses, but the point is that it isn't any harder to get good marks that in any other university, if anything, it is easier.

Hmmm....but does this affect how med schools will look at your application assuming that they know/think this (I.e. AU give grades 'easily')? Does it look 'bad' to most med schools if you apply using marks from AU? I don't know anything about AU's grading scheme, but if schools *think* that they grade easier (even if that's not true), that may be a valid problem.

I honestly don't know, but I am curious. I've never taken an AU class, but with my schedule, I definitely wouldn't rule it out *if* (and only if) it would not 'red flag' my application.

I could be completely off base here, but I get the impression that while most med schools 'accept' applicants with AU credits, they prefer the more 'traditional' program. Truth, rumor, anyone with insider info know?

That's a very interesting point and one that I thought about as well. I would think that Canadian universities do not look positively on a pile of courses from AU. I've taken one course there only and I must say, the A+ I received there would translate into a B where I received my undergrad - given the amount of work required.

Does anyone have any experience either from an admissions comittee or word of mouth that taking these online courses have a harmful effect or no effect at all on your application?

I would imagine that taking only one or two wouldn't be a big deal. But all of your science requirements from AU would likely flag your application.

That's a very interesting point and one that I thought about as well. I would think that Canadian universities do not look positively on a pile of courses from AU. I've taken one course there only and I must say, the A+ I received there would translate into a B where I received my undergrad - given the amount of work required.

Does anyone have any experience either from an admissions comittee or word of mouth that taking these online courses have a harmful effect or no effect at all on your application?

I would imagine that taking only one or two wouldn't be a big deal. But all of your science requirements from AU would likely flag your application.

When inquiring about not having a pre-req the Ottawa admissions office recommended Athabasca to me.

When inquiring about not having a pre-req the Ottawa admissions office recommended Athabasca to me.

That's for a pre-req. One wont hurt, I'm more concerned about if you have 5+ how they would view this. I don't think they would give you anything but a diplomatic answer, becuase it would openly bash the reptuation and credibility of Athabasca and other online institutions if they admitted to flagging your application.

I think it would be more behind the scenes to flag an application with so many courses from online institutions.

Hey Guys,

Has anyone here taken/taking Physics 201 from Athabasca? I was also recommended to take this course as a prereq for professional school

Would love some input from those of you who have taken/taking it

Thanks

Jdent

Hey Guys,

Has anyone here taken/taking Physics 201 from Athabasca? I was also recommended to take this course as a prereq for professional school

Would love some input from those of you who have taken/taking it

Thanks

Jdent

Hey Jdent,

Mind letting us know which school recommended this option? I'm sure someone should pop up who's taken Physics 201 - anyone??

Thanks!

Archived