Premed 101 Forums

MMI - interview day - what to expect

preamble: take anything i say with a grain of salt. a LARGE grain of salt. maybe a few grains. gives it some flavor.

hi all,

just posting some things on what to expect on the day of your MMI - if anything is wrong, do correct me (i haven't seen the invites).

1. show up to Bernard Snell hall at your designated time, with whatever ID you need. Snell is next to the 112 St. entrance to UAH; if you are in the hospital atrium, you are less than 30 sec away.

2. sign in, get nametags, meet your set leaders who will be taking you around the place (think of grade school when you held onto the rope on field trips). your set leaders will be in bright colour-coded tshirts. this will make sense when you get there.

3. there is an intro talk by... someone important... info about the school etc., not stressful at all. can drift off to sleep if you want.

4. brief description of the interview process. probably also in Snell. important but not stressful. do not sleep through this. if it doesn’t make sense, now is the time to ask.

5. set leaders take you to the interview rooms (Katz, MSB, or Zeidler most likely – your name tag will also have this information on it). take a pit stop on the way if you need it. stick to your set leaders – they will be in colour-coded t-shirts, apparently. if you get lost, ask someone official-looking (student volunteers will be wearing class soccer jerseys). volunteers will be in the halls to point you in the direction of your next station if you get lost. it’s actually idiot-proof.

6. pre-interview staging area – just waiting for everything to be ready so everyone starts simultaneously. you will be given last words of encouragement by your set leaders. go to your happy place. by now you already know where you’re going and where to rotate next.

7. first MMI station – general station – not ranked – just to get you talking. new for this year. if you have your blank paper and pencil already, write DON’T PANIC in large, friendly letters.

8. 8 MMI stations – 2 min to read question on the doors, buzzer rings, knock and enter. 8 min to discuss. you have much more time than you think. slow down and look at your paper (on which you have written DON’T PANIC in large, friendly letters). the interviewer will not give you any verbal or nonverbal/body-language feedback, so do not try to read them.

8a. if you finish before the 8 min and have exhausted your prompt questions, you will sit in silence; the interviewers will not speak about anything (to keep everything equal). this is not necessarily a bad thing – don’t worry about it, take a drink, do some yoga, etc.

9. last MMI station – same as the very first – general station – not ranked.

9a. there are 10 total MMI stations, 8 total interviewers. your last two MMI stations will be with your first two interviewers (so you see them twice).

10. you’re done! there may or may not be a debrief talk somewhere, and an optional tour of the place. go back to Snell hall and retrieve your things. anything good left behind will be donated to the medical students’ charity, or ebayed.

11) Go to the washroom whenever you can.

12) Relax!

On my sheet of paper for every single station, I literally just drew a big smiley face on the piece of paper. Don't feel obligated to *have* to write out your entire 8 minute response on the sheet!

Are you sure that the first+last stations are not ranked? I believe, based on the presentation, it seemed they are...I think it was mentioned something along the lines that as you move to your first MMI, your interviewer in the first station carries an evaluation of your response....

preamble: take anything i say with a grain of salt. a LARGE grain of salt. maybe a few grains. gives it some flavor.

hi all,

just posting some things on what to expect on the day of your MMI - if anything is wrong, do correct me (i haven't seen the invites).

1. show up to Bernard Snell hall at your designated time, with whatever ID you need. Snell is next to the 112 St. entrance to UAH; if you are in the hospital atrium, you are less than 30 sec away.

2. sign in, get nametags, meet your set leaders who will be taking you around the place (think of grade school when you held onto the rope on field trips). your set leaders will be in bright colour-coded tshirts. this will make sense when you get there.

3. there is an intro talk by... someone important... info about the school etc., not stressful at all. can drift off to sleep if you want.

4. brief description of the interview process. probably also in Snell. important but not stressful. do not sleep through this. if it doesn’t make sense, now is the time to ask.

5. set leaders take you to the interview rooms (Katz, MSB, or Zeidler most likely – your name tag will also have this information on it). take a pit stop on the way if you need it. stick to your set leaders – they will be in colour-coded t-shirts, apparently. if you get lost, ask someone official-looking (student volunteers will be wearing class soccer jerseys). volunteers will be in the halls to point you in the direction of your next station if you get lost. it’s actually idiot-proof.

6. pre-interview staging area – just waiting for everything to be ready so everyone starts simultaneously. you will be given last words of encouragement by your set leaders. go to your happy place. by now you already know where you’re going and where to rotate next.

7. first MMI station – general station – not ranked – just to get you talking. new for this year. if you have your blank paper and pencil already, write DON’T PANIC in large, friendly letters.

8. 8 MMI stations – 2 min to read question on the doors, buzzer rings, knock and enter. 8 min to discuss. you have much more time than you think. slow down and look at your paper (on which you have written DON’T PANIC in large, friendly letters). the interviewer will not give you any verbal or nonverbal/body-language feedback, so do not try to read them.

8a. if you finish before the 8 min and have exhausted your prompt questions, you will sit in silence; the interviewers will not speak about anything (to keep everything equal). this is not necessarily a bad thing – don’t worry about it, take a drink, do some yoga, etc.

9. last MMI station – same as the very first – general station – not ranked.

9a. there are 10 total MMI stations, 8 total interviewers. your last two MMI stations will be with your first two interviewers (so you see them twice).

10. you’re done! there may or may not be a debrief talk somewhere, and an optional tour of the place. go back to Snell hall and retrieve your things. anything good left behind will be donated to the medical students’ charity, or ebayed.

thanx for the info tearless :)

also, a side question about the MMI.. this is my first MMI so please excuse such a silly question, but I was just wondering if any station will involve what we wrote in our application? As in, will any part of it be open-file?

..., but I was just wondering if any station will involve what we wrote in our application? As in, will any part of it be open-file?

everybody gets the same questions. so, no, there's nothing specific to your app.

one unknown - the first and last stations haven't been done before, so i have no idea what those actually are.

Are you sure that the first+last stations are not ranked? I believe, based on the presentation, it seemed they are...I think it was mentioned something along the lines that as you move to your first MMI, your interviewer in the first station carries an evaluation of your response....

These stations serve as very basic filters. The only thing that can occur is you coming across completely wrong for the program and the evaluator flagging you for this. The flag will be disregarded if it is inconsistent with the rest of your evaluations on the other stations.

________

Lexus link history

These stations serve as very basic filters. The only thing that can occur is you coming across completely wrong for the program and the evaluator flagging you for this. The flag will be disregarded if it is inconsistent with the rest of your evaluations on the other stations.

But aside from these "red flags" the first and last stations are not taken into account when evaluating the interview?

Archived