Premed 101 Forums

CV:Extracirriculars/Research

So everybody always lists their GPA and their MCAT for Accepted lists, but they never completely list their extracirriculars, and this is understandable as if you were accepted, you must have had quite a good amount of stuff on the CV, heh.

But I was just wondering what are musts to have on the CV for an application?

(Other than 1-4 years of research and clinical volunteering)

Is it imperative for a successful applicant to be in clubs and also have some sort of executive/leadership role in them?

Do you need to have a bunch of small random things?

Do you have to have unique and weird things on there? (ballet, baton twirler, dog trainer, dog breeder, milked cows on a farm, okay that's crazy)

Do you have to have something athletically related? (Intramurals even I mean)

What if you were just a member of a few clubs, volunteered a few times here and there and had a couple of years of research? Is that just way too mediocre to get admitted?

What does a CV of an admitted student have in it? I want specifics here... even an outlined example if you gotta lotta time your hands.

P.S. I've seen this statement thrown around this forum a lot, 'US schools are very strict with ECs, you must have shadow experience, clinical volunteering, research is imperative...etc'........ are they really? or not? or are they? or not? they probably are aren't they?

I know this isn't what you're looking for, but it's the truth. You don't need anything. Many students get admitted without any research, or without any clinical volunteering, and so on. Just do things you enjoy. Don't force yourself to do research or clean out patient bed pans just because you think ad comms will like you. That's not the point, and too many people think like that. Do a handful things you like that you think will improve your character and that's all you need. Should they be research or clinical volunteering, then yahoo.

I know this isn't what you're looking for, but it's the truth. You don't need anything. Many students get admitted without any research, or without any clinical volunteering, and so on. Just do things you enjoy. Don't force yourself to do research or clean out patient bed pans just because you think ad comms will like you. That's not the point, and too many people think like that. Do a handful things you like that you think will improve your character and that's all you need. Should they be research or clinical volunteering, then yahoo.

I don't know.. it seems to me that a majority of the people accepted that list their stats and that I've spoken to personally definitely have research, clinical volunteering and club participation.

I don't know.. it seems to me that a majority of the people accepted that list their stats and that I've spoken to personally definitely have research, clinical volunteering and club participation.

I'd say fewer than half have serious research under their belts (NSERCs and higher). Clinical experience is expected, but that's related to what the first reply said, since you really should have a sincere interest in this if you're considering an MD. Honestly, just do what you like, and the rest will come.

There are no things that you NEED to have on your CV.

If you have no extracurriculars...then that is a problem because you will look like you are an antisocial bookworm.

But what you do in your free time should be something you enjoy and are interested in.

There are plenty of people in my class who did not volunteer, did not do research etc.

And clinical experience is not expected. It certainly helps because you can say that you know what you are getting yourself into. But actual clinical experience is hard to come by...unless you have a family member in medicine or something...and even then, there is pt confidentiality issues etc.

I understand you realize how competitive med school is these days and you're just trying to maximize your odds of getting in, but you have the wrong attitude. The CV isn't about padding yourself with as many activities as you think they'll like. It's about improving yourself as a person and taking things out of your activity. They'll like you just as much (if not more) if you volunteer extensively at a youth camp than if you volunteer cleaning out patient bed pans (which is only a slight exaggeration of what you'll be doing in most cases).

What it really comes down to is this: They're looking to see that you've had some experiences in your life that have given you the opportunity to acquire the traits desireable in a physician: intelligence, honesty, empathy, compassion, communcation, and so on. What experiences you have is up to you. How many times do you think an adcomm member has read about some kid who volunteered in a hospital for 2 years doing completely meaningless activities?

Archived