Premed 101 Forums

The Cooking Corner

Does anyone know what a Popover is?? They are SUPER easy to make and taste fantastic!!! Here's the recipe I follow:

popovers.jpg

Popovers

Ingredients

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 cup white whole wheat flour

1 cup fat-free milk

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon melted butter

2 large eggs

1 large egg white

________

1 Preheat oven - and popover pan - to 450°F.

2 Allow milk, eggs, and flour to come to room temperature. This step is not negotiable.

Note: You can substitute low-fat or whole milk for the fat-free milk. Milk can be microwaved for a few seconds to speed warming. Microwaving eggs is not recommended.

3 Sift salt with flours. Whisk eggs and egg white in a medium-sized bowl. Whisk in milk. Whisk in melted butter. Whisk in flour, stirring thoroughly to break up lumps and create a smooth batter. Let the batter sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes, preferably one hour. This waiting period is also not negotiable.

Notes: Using all all-purpose flour works best in this recipe. I've substituted white whole wheat flour for 1/2 of that, with good results. When I use more whole wheat flour the results are not as puffy and a little heavier but certainly not inedible. Right, FRE?

I have pop-over success without using baking powder. You can use a pinch (1/4 teaspoon) if you find your popovers fail to popover.

Many recipes will instruct to whisk the batter just until small lumps appear. This advice is more suitable when a leavening agent such as baking soda is used; a lumpy batter slows the leavening reaction during mixing, keeping acid and base away from each other until baking is underway. Since popovers rise with steam, this keep-batter-lumpy instruction is moot. In fact, the waiting period I describe as not negotiable encourages formation of gluten which creates a strong framework as the popovers puff. Gluten is formed when water contacts wheat protein, and breaking up lumps puts more moisture in contact with protein.

4 Carefully remove the popover pan from the oven, spray cups with oil (one instance PAM is useful), ladle batter evenly into cups (they'll be about 1/2 full), get pan back into hot oven pronto.

5 Bake for about 20 minutes at 450°F until puffed and golden. Reduce oven temp to 350°F and bake for another 15 minutes. Remove popovers from pan immediately, sliding a knife around edges if they stick. Serve immediately.

http://fanaticcook.blogspot.com/2007/01/popovers.html

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We need more recipes! Student lifestyle/time consideration friendly please :)

Very student-friendly:

Cheap, fast, tasty AND healthy!

Red lentils with spinach

6 cloves of garlic, minced

1 tsp red chili flakes (optional)

4 tbsp EVOO, divided

2 cups red lentils

1 cup OJ

3 cups water

280 g baby spinach

1/2 tsp salt

1. In a large sauce pot over medium-low heat, saute the garlic and chili flakes in 2 tbsp EVOO until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.

2. Add the lentils and stir to coat with the oil.

3. Increase the heat to med-high and stir in the OJ and water. Simmer until the lentils are tender, about 15 minutes (more water may be necessary).

4. Stir in the spinach and continue to simmer unti lit's tender, ~2 minutes. Season with up to 1/2 of salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle with remaining EVOO (or not).

Serves 6.

Hashbrown Potato Casserole

One 2 pound bag of frozen hashbrowns

Two 8 ounce tubs of sour cream (I use non-fat with good results)

1/2 cup of diced onion

1 can of cream of chicken soup (I use mushroom instead)

2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

2 cups cornflake crumbs (I use breadcrumbs or no crumbs)

1/4 cup melted butter

Thaw hashbrowns, mix with soup, cheese, sour cream and onions.

Spray a 3 quart casserole dish with cooking spray and add potato mixture.

Mix crumbs with butter if you want the crunchy topping and sprinkle over the top (it's just as good without the topping, honestly).

Bake for one hour in 350F oven.

I made this a couple of weeks ago and it really hit the spot! This was awesome because I shell out a lot on take out hot and sour soup and this can save me some bucks :o

The wok is the best cooking ware for this soup.

img_3988.JPG

Hot and Sour Soup

INGREDIENTS:

7-10 button mushrooms

8-ounce package tofu

1 can of bamboo shoots cut in matchsticks, drained

handful of coriander, shredded

3 cans chicken stock (I used some random ones with Chinese letters on it)

2 tablespoon (or more) Chinese rice wine or dry sherry

2 tablespoons (or more) soy sauce

2 tablespoons (or more) rice vinegar

salt and pepper

cornstarch and water mixture (2 tbsp of cornstarch and 1/2 cup of water, mixed all the way)

1 egg

red pepper flakes

Garnish:

Green onions

Note about the rice vinegar, soy sauce and cornstarch. I used a hell of a lot more than this recipe called for!!!! and the coriander is KEY to this recipe!! DO NOT SKIP!

Wash and dry mushrooms then thinly slice them. Slice tofu in long strips.

Bring the stock to a rolling boil in a wok and add the shredded ingredients. Bring back to a boil and simmer until everything is cooked. Add the rice wine. Add the soy sauce and rice vinegar. Bring back to a boil, then add the cornstarch and water mixture. Stir as it thickens. Sprinkle red pepper flakes if you like it hot (HIGHLY recommended!!!) and crack an egg in the soup and vigorously stir to break it up. Garnish with cut green onions.

Originally this recipe had chicken breasts in it but I hate chicken in hot and sour soup but you can put some in if you like.

Adapted from: http://www.forks.ca/hot-and-sour-soup-thats-better-than-the-takeout-014612.php

3 cans chicken stock (I used some random ones with Chinese letters on it)

Are you sure it was chicken stock?:D

That said, it looks pretty good...might be my next cooking project.

Here's a Q for others who are into Asian cooking...I bought some shrimp cake on a whim. I assumed it was much like bouillon cubes, where you just add a little bit to the broth for flavor. However, it smells pretty foul...is it normal? (it's not expired or anything) How do you use it?

Archived