Premed 101 Forums

The Cooking Corner

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone have a good recipe that can easily be made in large quantities to last a week? I'm trying to stock up for exams :)

Right now I'm thinking of making chili and a chicken stew. But I need something else :)

There are TONS of things..

anything you can freeze and reheat later is golden

Some thoughts:

Soup - any kind, but a good option is a veggie lentil soup

Pasta dishes - spaghetti, traditional or Mexican lasagna, baked ziti, tuna casserole

Pizza

Chili - or a different, but delicious white chili

Ahh... brings me back to my uni days. :)

There are TONS of things..

anything you can freeze and reheat later is golden

Some thoughts:

Soup - any kind, but a good option is a veggie lentil soup

Pasta dishes - spaghetti, traditional or Mexican lasagna, baked ziti, tuna casserole

Pizza

Chili - or a different, but delicious white chili

Ahh... brings me back to my uni days. :)

Interesting recipes, thanks for the post!! I might try that white chili soon! Chili has been one of those recipes I've been meaning to try for ages now.

Interesting recipes, thanks for the post!! I might try that white chili soon! Chili has been one of those recipes I've been meaning to try for ages now.

LOL, it does sound interesting...altho the idea that someone might find chili with 8 oz of jalapeno cheddar spicy disturbs me.

To procrastinate a little, I made a beef pot roast (it's roasting as we speak lol).

fully-cooked-pot-roast.jpg

Beef Pot Roast

1 3lb beef pot roast

1 vidalia onion

1/2 bottle Italian red wine

1 can beef broth

Oregano, black pepper, salt

15 garlic cloves

Put roast in roasting pan. Poke holes all over the roast and insert garlic cloves (I did about 10) then mince the rest and pat on roast. Pour half a bottle of wine all over the roast, along with the beef broth and season with salt and pepper and oregano. Cut up the vidalia onion and put on top of roast/around it. Cover roasting pan with foil. Bake for 3 hours at 325F, turning once an hour. Baste roast with its juices with each turn. Enjoy :-)

Source: my own recipe! :D

OK guys, I read about this "30-day eat-in challenge" in Glamour and I'm thinking of doing it. Basically, no eating out for 30 days! Who's with me? I think I'm gonna loosen the rule a bit just for dates (the "how about we have dinner at my place" always leads to the same conclusion, for whatever reason....lol), but otherwise, I'm gonna see if I can survive without lunches/dinners out and takeout for 30 days. Who wants to try this? A great way to save $ (and, I bet, lose some poundage, too)!

Oh, and btw, just made some delicious chicken soup...

several chicken legs (that's thighs AND drumsticks) - bones, necks, feet also welcome

1 small can Chinese chicken broth (I'm sure regular is fine, too)

1 large parsnip, cut into several chunks

2 large carrots, cut into several chunks

celery stalks and leaves, cut into several chunks

1 small or 1/2 large onion, cut into several chunks

bunch of dillweed

salt

bunch of peppercorns

water

dumplings

The soup is straightforward...cut up the vegs and throw them in the pot together with the chicken, add broth, then water till covered; bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for about 45 mins. When the broth is close to being done, fish out all the vegetables (keep whichever you'll eat - carrots, in my case - toss the rest) and bring it back to a rolling boil. Add dumplings...

Dumplings:

2 eggs, separated

1 tbsp butter, room temp (or soft margarine)

about 1/3-1/2 cup flour

salt

Take the yolks and mush them together with salt and butter - it will be clumpy, that's how you want it. Beat the whites and salt into a foam. Mix the yolks and the whites and dump flour in the mixture ASAP. It will be clumpy, but that's how you want it. Add enough flour to make the batter kinda like thick cottage cheese...you don't want it so thick that you can shape it with your hands, but it shouldn't be dripping, either. Then dump in the boiling soup, 1 tablespoon at a time. They'll cook in like 2 mins.

RAWR! So good!

• 1 month later...

Tonight's culinary adventure? Lamb and eggplant tajine with a side of couscous.

1) Lamb tagine

1 kg lamb (chunks or ground, I used ground)

1 large onion, chopped

2 medium eggplants, cut into round slices

about 3/4-1 cup of prunes, pitted and sliced

3/4 cup almonds, roasted

2 tbsp sesame seeds

fresh cilantro, chopped (or dry)

2 3/4 cups water

some olive oil

2 cloves garlic, crushed

1 tbsp honey

2 strips lemon rind

cinnamon (stick or ground)

1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

2 tsp cumin

1/2 tsp fresh or ground ginger

1 tsp ground turmeric

Take the eggplant slices, salt them heavily, and let them sit for at least half an hour. Rinse thoroughly, and cut the slices into quarters.

Add oil to a pan, take lamb, cumin, cinnamon, ground ginger, and turmeric; pan-fry until the lamb is browned. Take it out of the pan and put into a large pot. Add a bit more oil to the empty pan, throw the onion and garlic in there; cook, stirring, until the onions are soft. Add the onions and the garlic to the pot; add water, lemon rind, and cinnamon stick. Cover and simmer for about an hour.

Add honey, almonds, prunes, cilantro, and eggplants, cover again, and simmer for about half an hour (til the eggplant is tender). Get rid of the cinnamon stick and rind, and serve with sesame seeds.

2) Couscous with almonds and dried fruit

2 cup couscous

2 cup boiling water

2 green onions, chopped

1 clove garlic, chopped

a bit of oil

dried apricots, chopped

raisins or chopped dates

cilantro, chopped (or dry)

silvered almonds

a bit of salt

Make couscous; roast green onions and garlic in oil til tender; add everything to the couscous and let it stand covered for at least 5 mins.

You should get a week's worth of lunches or dinners out of this, at the minimum.

"Broccobeef"

super easy, super fast, and yummy!!

there are no set-fast recipe guidelines for this one:

Cook some hamburger in a big frying pan or wok, then add some soy sauce, garlic, onions, and a whole bunch of broccoli. Simmer/cook until the broccoli is soft...then serve the broccobeef dish over rice and ta-da!

probably doesn't sound that tasty, but i assure you, it is!

Archived