Premed 101 Forums

Needed some help in choosing a MCAT Prep. Course

Mountaincrest

I've registered for the MCAT in August and was hoping to have about 3 months to study (while doing NSERC). I was planning on taking either the Kaplan or the Princeton course during this time period, but after going through various forums and asking about the two courses, I haven't been able to make my decision yet.

I bought the Kaplan 2008-2009 online course (i.e. the book with the CD) last summer but I haven't used up any of the practice materials (One full-length MCAT online and two MCAT's with the CD). Since I already have some practice materials from Kaplan, I was leaning towards taking the Princeton review course. I would appreciate any advice in this matter - thanks in advance!

I bought the Princeton Review hyperlearning materials off someone that took the course. I'm quite pleased with it. They have amazing coverage of the physical sciences but there are way too many details for bio and I can't understand their organic (my worst subject). Kaplan/Princeton review are behemoths though, their books are huge and contain more detail than necessary. The course itself varies according to the teacher you get, so your mileage may vary. It seems like a coin toss between the two but I've heard better reviews on TPR. Just make sure you get that EK 101 Verbal Passages. TPR only provides 40 passages in their workbook (more in practice tests and such but that's a flaw in their program). With Kaplan the practice tests are not the same difficulty level as the AAMC and their verbal is pretty bad...Who knows though, reviews are pretty inconsistent I find, except that Kaplan practice materials don't mimic MCAT.

I'm just self studying with examkrackers (120 bucks about), if you look at SDN and look at those who have 30+ they're mostly self studiers that used EK in combination with Kaplan/TPR materials for reference (since they're so detailed). EK books I can confirm are like...half or even a quarter the size of the two course materials LOL. Whether this is good or bad...lol

Most med students I know took TPR though. My friend finished off his TPR course and got 32R with little effort (he crammed last 2 weeks).

I've registered for the MCAT in August and was hoping to have about 3 months to study (while doing NSERC). I was planning on taking either the Kaplan or the Princeton course during this time period, but after going through various forums and asking about the two courses, I haven't been able to make my decision yet.

I bought the Kaplan 2008-2009 online course (i.e. the book with the CD) last summer but I haven't used up any of the practice materials (One full-length MCAT online and two MCAT's with the CD). Since I already have some practice materials from Kaplan, I was leaning towards taking the Princeton review course. I would appreciate any advice in this matter - thanks in advance!

From what I've heard from other students, if you are going to be working full-time, it isn't such a good idea to take Princeton as it has a lot of classes during the week.

Guest rpuff

I recommend Kaplan. Heard it's less material review than Princeton, and they have an incredible amount of practice section tests and full lengths online. It's hefty sum, but the classmates I kept in touch with achieved close to their ideal (realistic) score.

Plus, I interviewed at U of C/U of A recently and saw 6 of my classmates at BOTH schools (out of the total 18-20). Considering how many interview time slots and random chance, that's pretty good proof that Kaplan helps you get a competitive score.

Guest rpuff

Kaplan instructor grades your essays. I wrote about 15 full lengths for practice and my instructor graded them all, with good feedback and suggestions, within 2 days of sending them.

Choose what's right for you. Kaplan focuses more heavily on strategy, but relies on you to do content review. I hear Princeton has more class time but they do more detailed scientific review.

Archived