Premed 101 Forums

Consequences of Failure

imagine

Hey all,

This has probably been discussed but I think it would be great to clarify this for all first-time med applicants if it hasn't:

If you fail to get in after receiving interviews, do schools look at you differently the second time you apply (officially or unofficially)?

I know that Ottawa doesn't, but I'm not sure about the others.

Thanks in advance.

Persistency may look good, but the results of your previous applications don't enter the picture. In fact, most schools don't keep files from one year to the next, and even if they did, they definitely wouldn't have the time to search through all the past years' results to see who ranked where.

in Canada, yes.

in the US, they wonder what the heck you're doing applying multiple times. most down there spam every school in the country, give it a go, then decide on something else or get in. very few apply a second time, and almost nobody applies multiple times. i had an interview there an this came up. apparently persistence isn't a good thing down south.

in Canada, yes.

in the US, they wonder what the heck you're doing applying multiple times. most down there spam every school in the country, give it a go, then decide on something else or get in. very few apply a second time, and almost nobody applies multiple times. i had an interview there an this came up. apparently persistence isn't a good thing down south.

Really??? :confused: hmmm good to know then.

Once can be an oversight. Twice is bad. Three is a problem. But some people go up to 5+, but they get in at that point. Depends how badly you want it. I wouldn't quit at 1-2 tries. I'd do something else and come back at it. The interviews are really luck (if they like you, if someone was better etc). If there are more interviews than seats then rejection is definitely a possibility, of course...applying to multiple schools may mitigate the risk. I wouldn't worry too much about rejection the first time around?

I wouldn't say twice is always bad it depends on the circumstances. There's always a few eager kids that apply to UofC in second year and then all the Ontario schools in third year. We've all seen the UofT interview thread 3rd year applicants with 4.0's got rejected... But these guys will obviously get in next year.

Personally I think after three times the med schools are telling you there is something significantly limiting your application. You might have to do something big to change things at that point - 2nd degree? Not necessarily a reason to stop though, only do some careful looking around :)

I wouldn't say twice is always bad it depends on the circumstances. There's always a few eager kids that apply to UofC in second year and then all the Ontario schools in third year. We've all seen the UofT interview thread 3rd year applicants with 4.0's got rejected... But these guys will obviously get in next year.

The thing is, I'm in 4th year and it's my first time applying. My stats are pretty good, not the best but I'm proud of what I have. My ECs are not an issue either.

My third year really took a toll on me because I did a lot more extracurrics/volunteering/work than was healthy for me: I wanted to be the best applicant out there. I squeezed in all my upper-year science electives so that I could have an easier 4th year. Add to that MCAT and even more volunteering during the summer. I haven't had a proper vacation in the last 3 years. (Even during the winter break I was in the lab every single day).

I feel like I'm not putting up my best performance in interviews because I don't have the same enthusiasm, energy, and motivation I used to have two years ago. It's definitely not a reflection of who I really am, and even though I'm recovering, I don't feel like this cycle is looking good for me.

I definitely think I can get in next year if it comes down to it, and I could find a way to spend the time between september and february and make it look good on my application. Is there a reason I shouldn't get an interview the second time around (disregarding increasing cutoffs, as they don't really go up by much anyway)?

The thing is, I'm in 4th year and it's my first time applying. My stats are pretty good, not the best but I'm proud of what I have. My ECs are not an issue either.

My third year really took a toll on me because I did a lot more extracurrics/volunteering/work than was healthy for me: I wanted to be the best applicant out there. I squeezed in all my upper-year science electives so that I could have an easier 4th year. Add to that MCAT and even more volunteering during the summer. I haven't had a proper vacation in the last 3 years. (Even during the winter break I was in the lab every single day).

I feel like I'm not putting up my best performance in interviews because I don't have the same enthusiasm, energy, and motivation I used to have two years ago. It's definitely not a reflection of who I really am, and even though I'm recovering, I don't feel like this cycle is looking good for me.

I definitely think I can get in next year if it comes down to it, and I could find a way to spend the time between september and february and make it look good on my application. Is there a reason I shouldn't get an interview the second time around (disregarding increasing cutoffs, as they don't really go up by much anyway)?

For the schools with specific cut offs there no problem! Always the risk as you mention of the cut off changing, but relatively minor risk.

The somewhat voodoo they do at Toronto, Ottawa and McMaster makes prediction hard, but likely you would have similar odds (or better) than this year for those as well I believe :)

Archived