Premed 101 Forums

Transferring Scores

For every person who transfers scores, an additional person is taken off the waitlist and offered an interview to fill that spot. Collectively, that means one more person to compete with for acceptance to UWO, decreasing EACH of our chances to get in... Who knows, maybe that person you forfeited your spot to will take YOUR spot at Western.... Alternatively, you could look at it as giving a waitlisted individual an opportunity to fulfill his/her dream of becoming a dentist....

Whatever floats your boat.

For every person who transfers scores, an additional person is taken off the waitlist and offered an interview to fill that spot. Collectively, that means one more person to compete with for acceptance to UWO, decreasing EACH of our chances to get in... Who knows, maybe that person you forfeited your spot to will take YOUR spot at Western.... Alternatively, you could look at it as giving a waitlisted individual an opportunity to fulfill his/her dream of becoming a dentist....

Are you serious?? that sounds really odd to me. Where did you hear this, Contach?

If this is true, then it sounds like a really flawed system because they can start off with 250 applicants and end up with like 300 or 350 or something, depending on how many people transfer scores. This would be a lot more work for them. It would be stupid in the sense that just because somebody transfers a score, that doesn't mean they have dropped out of the application process, so why would they go and get another person to 'take his place' as if he has dropped out? Weird...

nevertheless, on the off chance that he IS right, do you really want to have more people competing with you? On top of that, I don't think I'd ever transfer my scores (unless I was flat out broke) because you don't know what you got. You're reducing your chances of getting in by putting all your eggs in one basket

Are you serious?? that sounds really odd to me. Where did you hear this, Contach?

Good, I didn't think everyone clearly understood this important point...

Evidence 1: Individuals were already put on a waitlist. Why would they be put on a waitlist if all the interview spots were already taken? An applicant must have an interview before being accepted, this points to the fact that interview spots may open up. Fact: All the interview spots aren't already taken, they are only occupied, until someone transfers their scores or withdraws their application from UWO.

Evidence 2: http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26343&page=12&highlight=Western+Interview

Fact: Last year, this issue got so out of hand that people who were initially rejected from interview were being called to interview at Western!!! There are many examples of people receiving interview invitations in that link after initially being rejected: what does that mean? More applicants.

Evidence 3:

I'm not concerned with the bearing it has on my chances of collecting an acceptance, but in principle, I don't agree with UWO's methodology.

I emailed Trish: If you remove your name from the interview roster (whether it be a complete drop out or request for transfer interview scores to be used) , a slot will open and anther applicant name will be added, swelling the ranks of those to be considered post-interview.

I agree with what's in bold. Transfer scores should be used as substitute to being physically present, and additional applicants should not be added to the roster. It just makes cut-offs obsolete (which are useless to begin with) and minimizes the chances of those who made it past that hurdle.

No conflict of interest here. I'll most likely be spotted next fall at UofT.

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showpost.php?p=243590&postcount=127

I'm glad that I made this clear for those of you who didn't know.. It will make you think twice about transferring your scores from another school...

well..if we can rightly assume that most people on the waitlist have a lower average GPA and DAT score than those put on interviewed list, then those additional persons would actually bring the average down as observed last year. The lower average should increase the chances of people with higher GPAs being accepted...IMO it balances out

Wow Contach...way to exaggerate the situation...What Contach says is the information gathered from this forum..I can tell you for sure that UWO has not confirmed this

Arnie is a respected member of these boards. In Evidence 3, it says he e-mailed her and that is exactly what she said. Hence UWO has confirmed this.

Yeah I think it's horrid, but it is in the best interests of the school.. and with so many applicants, they should be able to do what they want.

It's much like how UBC interviews and admits students well before any other Canadian school. Then they try to poach the strongest candidates before any other school by securing a $10 000 deposit from each of them.

**** happens.

well..if we can rightly assume that most people on the waitlist have a lower average GPA and DAT score than those put on interviewed list, then those additional persons would actually bring the average down as observed last year. The lower average should increase the chances of people with higher GPAs being accepted...IMO it balances out

No, actually it lowers the chance of being accepted because there are more people in the applicant pool. It may increase your relative chance, depending on how well you do on your interview, but just as easily (that interview is worth 25%), someone with lower stats who does well can overcome his relatively lower odds...'

The easiest way to get through this is for noone to transfer their scores. You never know how you did on the CDA interview, and I feel that the more you do, the better you will get anyways.

Good, I didn't think everyone clearly understood this important point...

Evidence 2: http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26343&page=12&highlight=Western+Interview

Fact: Last year, this issue got so out of hand that people who were initially rejected from interview were being called to interview at Western!!! There are many examples of people receiving interview invitations in that link after initially being rejected: what does that mean? More applicants.

I'm glad that I made this clear for those of you who didn't know.. It will make you think twice about transferring your scores from another school...

Wow, interesting....if they went so far as to accept people who initially got rejected and went beyond the wait list, that means this has the potential to become ridiculous in terms of competition...depending how many people transfer scores of course. Hmm, looks like our chances might get even slimmer then.

Wow, interesting....if they went so far as to accept people who initially got rejected and went beyond the wait list, that means this has the potential to become ridiculous in terms of competition...depending how many people transfer scores of course. Hmm, looks like our chances might get even slimmer then.

Yes, that is exactly right!!! So, if you have any friends who are thinking about transferring, do everything you can to get them to go to the UWO interview:

- offer to carpool with them to western to interview

- offer to share a hotel with them in Western and you can foot the bill

- promise to buy them a nice meal in London

- tell them that they should visit the campus to see if they like the school, even if they are already set on another...

- offer them sex candy and chocolate... which may or may not all come with a hooker

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be mean to those on the waitlist, I sincerely hope everyone who wants to become a dentist eventually does get in somewhere. But you have to look at it from our perspective, where we must collaborate to conserve the number of interviewers.

Yes, that is exactly right!!! So, if you have any friends who are thinking about transferring, do everything you can to get them to go to the UWO interview:

- tell them that they should visit the campus to see if they like the school, even if they are already set on another...

- offer them sex candy and chocolate... which may or may not all come with a hooker

LOL! I will do my best.

Just to add to this discussion..if you have had an interview this year and felt good about it than it may be worth it to transfer those scores if getting to the actual interview is a problem/too expensive. I know a few people at UWO dentistry who have gained admission after transferring their scores.

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be mean to those on the waitlist, I sincerely hope everyone who wants to become a dentist eventually does get in somewhere. But you have to look at it from our perspective, where we must collaborate to conserve the number of interviewers.

I think that if you got invited for an interview, you should try and make it to the interview because it gives you more information about the school, etc, and also gives the interviewers more info about you.

On the other hand, if you're coming from far away, say quebec, or much further, like from BC, it may just be too much trouble to fly all the way out there just for one interview. It may just be easier to transfer your scores. And of course, it would do those people on the waitlist (like me) a favour by giving them a chance at an interview. we are the underdogs here, but at least having an interview this year gives us a bit more practice for the future (clearly our marks up till now are not good enough to compete with everyone else anyways).

Archived