Premed 101 Forums

UBC Waitlist?

There's not a waitlist at UBC this year? I guess a lot of things have changed at UBC Dentistry, and the selection process is really upsetting! I applied again to UBC this year (it was my 3rd year applying), and I DID NOT get an interview call! I found this really strange because I WAS interviewed last year (though I wasn't in my first year of applying), so I thought I would definately get an interview again this year, especially since I am an IP student, but... nothing! Did this happen to anyone else? Anyways, I'm relieved that I applied to several other schools, so hopefully something will work out for me there. But I feel bad for people who are counting on UBC Dent because their application system really needs some help.

Hi everyone, just joined this site and have been reading all the threads and learning a lot. Wow Sweet tooth, that's really sad to hear how your UBC application went down compared to last year!! How is that possible? This year was my first time applying to UBC dentistry, and I didn't get an interview either, so I'm worried the same thing may happen to me too.

Somebody told me there is an appeal process in case ppl aren't satisfied with the decision of the committee, but it has to be completed within a certain duration of time, so if you feel like something was wrong with your application, you should consider that Sweet tooth. I don't know whether I should file an appeal because this was my first year applying, but since you have your last year's application to compare to, it might be worthwhile for you. Its possible that they could've made a mistake with your application, so you should check it out.

I am truly amazed at how frustrating the admissions for UBC’s dentistry is. I go to SFU, but I've heard from a lot of ppl that there are a lot of politics inside UBC dentistry. Good luck with your other applications, Sweet Tooth!

Thx a lot for that idea Futuredenttobe. I didn't know they had an appeal process, but I think I will look into it. You should probably look into it too if you feel something went wrong with your application. I'm kinda glad to hear I wasn't the only one who felt like I deserved an interview this year but didn't get one. I really don't know how UBC comes about selecting candidates, so I'm waiting for positive news from UWO and UFT, but I will definately consider an appeal now that I know they have it. Good luck to you too Futuredenttobe!

Thx a lot for that idea Futuredenttobe. I didn't know they had an appeal process, but I think I will look into it. You should probably look into it too if you feel something went wrong with your application. I'm kinda glad to hear I wasn't the only one who felt like I deserved an interview this year but didn't get one. I really don't know how UBC comes about selecting candidates, so I'm waiting for positive news from UWO and UFT, but I will definately consider an appeal now that I know they have it. Good luck to you too Futuredenttobe!

I don't understand how you think you can deserve an interview if you don't even know what the minimum GPA/DAT score was....

"wow , I had an 82% average, I think I worked hard so I ddeserver an interview..."

please.. save it. back of the bus.

I don't understand how you think you can deserve an interview if you don't even know what the minimum GPA/DAT score was....

"wow , I had an 82% average, I think I worked hard so I ddeserver an interview..."

Do you act like a jackass in real life too?

Please tell me you act this in your interviews.

Well, if you look at the entrance statistics for 2008, the academic average of those interviewed were 84% and accepted were 85%...that should give you some idea of how competitive. I suspect a similar trend this year in terms of competitiveness. Over the years, you can see that the average of the accepted applicants has gone up from a steady 81-82% to 83% to 85%.

I don't know if it's true that UBC doesn't have a waitlist, but you can sure bet they need to fill all the spots for financial reasons. So for those who don't want their spot should tell the school asap to give others a fair chance at spots that could have been filled.

btw, "back of the bus" is a mean comment and show lack of compassion for others. It is rather sad, but not unusual that these personalities are dentists.

Well, if you look at the entrance statistics for 2008, the academic average of those interviewed were 84% and accepted were 85%...that should give you some idea of how competitive. I suspect a similar trend this year in terms of competitiveness. Over the years, you can see that the average of the accepted applicants has gone up from a steady 81-82% to 83% to 85%.

I think UBC does have waitlist but not publicized.

Also, since UBC changed the rules to 90%IP, i think this should have some effect of lowering down the competitive GPA

Thanks so much for your comments rla_z, CanadaDent, ofx23 and ranchan... I appreciate the support and understanding. ranchan, yes, I am aware of the trend of increasing GPAs with the years, and my GPA and DAT scores are in the competitive range, which is why I don't understand how I didn't get an interview with UBC this year even though I did last (I graduated with my BSc last year, but have been taking a few extra courses to improve my GPA this year, and have brought it up to that range). Has this happened to anyone else too?

I would appreciate any more feedback or suggestions as I am considering whether I should file an appeal to UBC or not. Would like to hear what you all think, and whether anyone else is facing a similar situation as me. Thx. :)

oh, and I really didn't appreciate your comment, Contach, but I decided to ignore it. Like ranchan said, unfortunately, people who make smirky comments like that may become dentists, but that won't mean that they'll be liked by their patients.. and that's more important.

but, thx to the rest of you for your encouragement! Wishing you all the best in your admissions! :)

hey sweet tooth

this is unbelivable

seriously, what was your ranking? (if you don't mind sharing)

I have a feeling UBC made a mistake somehow

I am IP (UBC), 80% average, 83% on last 2 years, DAT 18 AA, 23 Carving, 20 PAT

and I was only 2% away from getting an interview (the ranking they gave to me)

I have some good extracurriculums

South American Dental Mission

Shadow Local Dentist (100 hours)

Hospital volunteers (400 hours)

Sports (over 100 hours)

My references letters were writting from

2 of my biol professors, quite close to me (i known them for over 3 years)

and the dentist I shadowed

From what I have heard,

UBC doesn't really count extra curriculum that much (maybe 10%?)

30% for GPA, 30 % DAT (that's what ppl tell me)

This was my 1st time applying

However, i am sure your stat is probably way more competitve than mine

considering you got an interview last year..

This is really really strange...

In terms of "Contach"

Just ignore him

He will taste his own medicine one day

He is also a member on the american dental forum

I know this guy quite well..

Despite of his "super great" DAT and GPA

He is only accepted to one school.."Buffalo"

and got rejected by most of the schools (post-interview)

That included Harvard..

Yes, and Yes he does act that way in real life and during interview :)

lol curiousking, just wondering how you seem to know all about Contach. (not trying to bash or anything, I'm not standing up for him, but not too nice to make sarcastic remarks about someone, though an ******* he may be).

Back on topic:

Yeah according to people who got into UBC dentistry, extra curriculars are negligible. It's nearly all about the GPA, and only when 2 applicants have very similar GPAs do they look at your DAT marks (or in the case that your DAT is a major fail). Reference letters are not really looked at I heard, just a "checklist" thing.

UBC Medical is completely different though, they take extra curriculars into high account, so even a 4.33GPA will not necessarily net you an interview if you're faced off with another student with a 3.7GPA and good extra-currics

Kinda stupid actually, UBC IP students usually get the shaft. Dalhousie Dental has an admission average of like 90%, ditto with UofT and UofSaskat

Yeah, sorry about the sarcastic comment :P

I just don't like his attitude of bashing other people

you should go view his postings

he does that on american forum too

yes back to topic

I know my DAT sucked big time :rolleyes:

I retook it, and still waiting for it to come back

That's the thing

I don't understand how someone can get an interview last year and not this year

Last year "should" be more competitve than this year (without the 90% IP)

I consider my ranking to be really low..with not so great GPA and crap DAT

That just makes me wonder if UBC has changed their way of evaluating applicants?

Maybe they weighed the ECs more this year?? or they adjusted the DAT??

Last November DAT was hell, AA of 20= 95%...

maybe because of that, I got higher mark on DAT than I supposed to??

I don't know..I have too many questions..

I am just scared even I do better on the Feb DAT (ie 20 above), I will still not get an interview..because UBC "scales" the exam

lol curiousking, just wondering how you seem to know all about Contach. (not trying to bash or anything, I'm not standing up for him, but not too nice to make sarcastic remarks about someone, though an ******* he may be).

Back on topic:

Yeah according to people who got into UBC dentistry, extra curriculars are negligible. It's nearly all about the GPA, and only when 2 applicants have very similar GPAs do they look at your DAT marks (or in the case that your DAT is a major fail). Reference letters are not really looked at I heard, just a "checklist" thing.

UBC Medical is completely different though, they take extra curriculars into high account, so even a 4.33GPA will not necessarily net you an interview if you're faced off with another student with a 3.7GPA and good extra-currics

Kinda stupid actually, UBC IP students usually get the shaft. Dalhousie Dental has an admission average of like 90%, ditto with UofT and UofSaskat

That really sucks. I actually want to do an honours science degree at UBC and fill up elective space with interesting upper level science courses but I just take the easier way out and take easy but boring classes because GPA is so important.

I wish they'd consider workload and courses taken when looking at GPA but oh well...

Also, looking at Curiousking's stats and the fact he didn't even get an interview seems like that 90% IP rule won't have much of an effect after all in bringing down the averages. :(

I know this sux

Just don't give up though :)

it's competitive as hell

Sometimes I feel that medical/dental schools have not chosen the best candidates (not saying I am a good candidate; however, I am pretty sure there are many people with lower stat than me could be very good doctors)

Coming from a family with many doctor members; I certainly understand that low grade does not mean you are not going to be a good doctor

What matters is inside..your motivation, why you want to be a doctor, and who you are

Just don't give up.

If you don't get accepted in canada, try the States

if you don't get in the States, try UK or Poland

Or do a master, take more courses to pull up GPA

Do whatever you can, and You WILL GET IN!!

Curioustaking, thanks so, so much for your kind reply and encouragement. I really appreciate that you've come forward, like me, to discuss the possibilities of our applications. From your rankings, I think you are a very good and competitive applicant, and I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get an interview either. My GPA is 82.4%... I know that isn't very competitive compared to the GPA of people who were admitted last year, but I'm just confused why I didn't get an interview this year when I did last year (especially since we have the 90% IP criteria this year, like you said).

And I think you're a very good candidate as well! Have you spoken to anyone at UBC Dentistry to see why you didn't get an interview this year? I'm thinking of calling them tomorrow (or sometime this week), and I think you should too. Your stats are very competitive! I know people who got into their program this year who had lower stats than you, which is what is bugging me! That's why I am considering to file an appeal, and I think you should consider filing one too.

You've also done a lot of extra curricular activities, and I'm sure UBC Dentistry considers that an asset of the application. I've done a lot of extracurriculars over the years too and I think that's one of the reasons I got an interview last year because my GPA wasn't as strong last year (I pulled it up this year which was my 5th year of undergrad). Like you said though, never give up because I'm sure you'll be an outstanding dentist soon. It's obvious that you enjoy volunteering and helping others, so your dedication will soon pay off. Let me know what you decide to do, Curioustaking, and good luck with other applications! :)

I am sorry to hear that both of you, curious and sweet tooth, didn't get interviews - it will only be a matter of time by the sounds of how much you want it.

I have been in the position of applying to a professional program before and one year applying, improving your application (logically) and in the end it coming out worse the next year. This is very frustrating, and turned me off of the whole process of how they figure out who gets in. And I truly don't understand how they do it. I was lucky that I got in, I don't understand exactly how, but I guess you don't question nearly as much when you are on the good side of the decision.

What I can say is that both years I applied and didn't get into UBC DMD I went and met with the admissions people after and went over in detail what my rankings were for every area of my application. I had a list of questions for them that I thought of before the meeting, some they could answer and others they could not, but there were some that were helpful as they would not have given me those answers if I had not of asked. This was because I wanted to understand how best I could improve myself and what areas I can improve the most. If you guys have not contacted them to do this I strongly suggest it. They do it happily and it really helps know where you stood with respect to the pool with all the various areas of your application. This then focuses your work for next year.

If you have done that before, then compare and see if you have made progress. If you have gotten better then I guess it was a big change in how they select their class. Because of the 90% in province, the grades might not have been so spread out and they might of had to resort to other areas to figure it all out.

I am not too sure about the whole appeal thing. I guess I would not do that unless it was my second time interviewing (kinda last chance as you can only have 2 interviews) and also felt that I really should have gotten in. But even then, as people say that there are probably politics involved, will they want someone in the class that got in through an appeal? They leave areas open for their interpretation so that in the end it is their decision, and going back and saying "well your wrong" does not sound to be the 100% the right thing to do if your goal is to get in vs. bringing people to account for it. If someone appeals, and it doesn't look good, it might just tarnish their next application. This is my opinion of course, you need to figure that out.

If you have not seen my stats you can look them up in previous posts I have made - as well as my story - as this should help you and see that my stats are not phenomenal, and I got in without having to be on waitlist. Sounds like you guys are on the right track but there might be something you can tweak in your application so that they can see you better for who you are.

Thanks for your suggestions Dr.Bunsen.Honeydew, and congratulations on being accepted this year! It seems like you had a difficult time too, so I applaud you for not giving up and persevering with your dream!

I am still considering whether I should appeal right now; this was my 3rd year of applying, and since I got an interview last year, I thought I had a pretty good shot this year. I understand what you mean about not wanted to point fingers at the admission process at UBC, but I think I deserve a review of my application (they get ~350-400 applications each year, so there's always a possibility that something could've gone wrong in processing my application, and I don't want to waste another year if I don't have to).

I'm a bit hesitant if I would be the only person submitting an appeal though... I would feel much more comfortable doing it if anyone else, who also felt their application may've not been properly look at, also was thinking of going through the appeal process. After all, they have the process there for a reason, so I think that's one step in the right direction. Nobody's perfect, so human error may've interfered with our possibilities of getting into dental school this year, so I think there's no harm in filing an appeal to get everything checked, and if necessary, all cleared up.

I've been reading the documents of how to file an appeal at UBC, so if anyone else is considering an appeal please let me know and we can discuss the process together.

Archived