Premed 101 Forums

A few questions.

Hi all! I just have a few questions. If anyone can help answer them, that would be awesome. The first question is a bit odd. I heard that in your first year of med school at Ottawa, you are able to take some undergrad electives on top of your regular med school course load...free of charge. Is this true? Because I would love to be able to take some French or philosophy courses (My hardcore science program was pretty restrictive and I missed out a some pretty interesting courses).

I also heard that first years can get involved with the Refugee Health Initiative. I was wondering if someone could tell me a bit more about that.

Thanks in advance!

French courses are free as noted by OP.

For UofO undergrads, if you are full time, you pay the same price regardless of the # of courses you take. I have a friend who took 130% to 150% full course load the first 2 years. Then did 3rd year as a part-time to save $$$.

So, perhaps it is similar for meds? Also, do you truly need the undergrad credit? Otherwise, why not sneak into a class?

French courses are free as noted by OP.

For UofO undergrads, if you are full time, you pay the same price regardless of the # of courses you take. I have a friend who took 130% to 150% full course load the first 2 years. Then did 3rd year as a part-time to save $$$.

A bunch of us do that - you can save some money that way and more importantly squeeze in everything you want to take :)

I suppose med school is technically an undergrad program right? If so you probably can take any unrestricted undergrad course, just like any other program?

I doubt you will really want to use your free time taking more school. It would also be hard to go to a regularly scheduled class since your med school schedule will vary by week.

Like someone suggested you could just sit in on a class that interests you...it isn`t like you will need to actual credit. Note also that RGN is not on the main campus...which means you will have to find a way to get to the main campus...either with the shuttle or car (and you would then need to buy parking passes for both places).

You can probably find way more fun things to do in your free time than take a class (enjoy the free time before 3rd year happens!). And if you really want to do school stuff...arrange clinical observerships in as many areas as might interest you.

I suppose med school is technically an undergrad program right? If so you probably can take any unrestricted undergrad course, just like any other program?

Yes, med school is considered undergrad, so if that's an undergrad rules, I would guess that it would apply.

I also heard that first years can get involved with the Refugee Health Initiative. I was wondering if someone could tell me a bit more about that.

I haven't been involved with it, but many of my friends have. I think you basically take the history, not sure if you do an exam or not, of someone who recently arrived in Canada. You're in groups of two med students for each patient, from what I remember. You do get a special training beforehand.

I don't really know more than that though... sorry.

I doubt you will really want to use your free time taking more school. It would also be hard to go to a regularly scheduled class since your med school schedule will vary by week.

Oh I agree - i wasn't recommending it :) Still perhaps in the narrow case of learning a language that will help you practice medicine better it would make sense.

I'm definitely not looking to take more courses...the medical program is going to be intense enough haha. Learning French is a personal interest for me (I wish my parents had forced me to take French throughout high school haha), so free French lessons in the evenings sounds pretty sweet. From what I understand there's some sort of shuttle service between the main campus and the medical school, so I think I could manage a trip out there one evening a week.

Thanks for sharing what you know about the Refugee Health Initiative Julie. I attended an info session yesterday and it seems that Ottawa encourages international medical experience too and that's definitely something I would be interested in.

With a bit of luck, I hope I will be seeing some of you around in September. Thanks for the feedback!

Archived