Premed 101 Forums

Is entering medical school at 24 too old?

yeah...gosh at 25 I practically felt like a grandma... :P

seriously, though, you are only as old as you feel! Age is just a number. If you are hung up on age, this might not be the field to be gunning for, as entry into it can take a while...not to mention the length of post graduate training (depending on the specialty).

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sure as hell hope not, cause I am 33 and have interviews in a few weeks. I have read many posts on this forum regarding age being a factor. I actually think it may be of benefit to be older and have some life experience under your belt. Of course I am like soooo old ya know.........

I sure as hell hope not, cause I am 33 and have interviews in a few weeks. I have read many posts on this forum regarding age being a factor. I actually think it may be of benefit to be older and have some life experience under your belt. Of course I am like soooo old ya know.........

lol 33 here to! Lets hear it for the seasoned vets ;)

According to BBC World News:

'Brain decline' begins at age 27

Mental powers start to dwindle at 27 after peaking at 22, marking the start of old age, US research suggests.

Professor Timothy Salthouse of the University of Virginia found reasoning, spatial visualisation and speed of thought all decline in our late 20s.

Therapies designed to stall or reverse the ageing process may need to start much earlier, he said.

His seven-year study of 2,000 healthy people aged 18-60 is published in the journal Neurobiology of Aging.

To test mental agility, the study participants had to solve puzzles, recall words and story details and spot patterns in letters and symbols.

The same tests are already used by doctors to spot signs of dementia.

In nine out of 12 tests the average age at which the top performance was achieved was 22.

The first age at which there was any marked decline was at 27 in tests of brain speed, reasoning and visual puzzle-solving ability.

Things like memory stayed intact until the age of 37, on average, while abilities based on accumulated knowledge, such as performance on tests of vocabulary or general information, increased until the age of 60.

Professor Salthouse said his findings suggested "some aspects of age-related cognitive decline begin in healthy, educated adults when they are in their 20s and 30s."

Rebecca Wood of the Alzheimer's Research Trust agreed, saying: "This research suggests that the natural decline of some of our mental abilities as we age starts much earlier than some of us might expect - in our 20s and 30s.

"Understanding more about how healthy brains decline could help us understand what goes wrong in serious diseases like Alzheimer's.

"Alzheimer's is not a natural part of getting old; it is a physical disease that kills brain cells, affecting tens of thousands of under 65s too.

"Much more research is urgently needed if we are to offer hope to the 700,000 people in the UK who live with dementia, a currently incurable condition."

• 7 years later...

ha either way - it is common to have medical students that are over 25 now :)

Yup. Nearly thirty of my classmates were at least 26 at the time of application, so were at least 27 when they started. Coming to med later or as a second career is not that atypical.

I didn't realize this forum was that old already.

:~$ whois premed101.com

Whois Server Version 2.0

Domain Name: PREMED101.COM

Registrar: GODADDY.COM, LLC

Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 146

Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com

Referral URL: http://www.godaddy.com

Name Server: NS71.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

Name Server: NS72.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

Updated Date: 13-jul-2015

Creation Date: 15-jan-2000

Expiration Date: 15-jan-2019