Premed 101 Forums

Fast Track 2 year nursing program

SKimmsey

I graduated with a B.Sc from mac last spring, and I applied to a lot of fast track 2 year nursing programs in Ontario. I have been accepted into the York program but am waiting on a reply from UT before I make a final decision.

I have read a lot of info on this forum about nurses that go into medical school, and that it is possible. My question is, if I do go into this 2 year fast track program, is it possible to apply to medical schools in Canada with the marks from this nursing program? I have done all prerequisites since I have a B.Sc and my last two years are about 3.6.

To my knowledge, I know that UWO, Queens, Ottawa, McGill, NOSM all look at best 2 years and Toronto, Mac, UBC, U of C look at all years (or both degrees).

And to any nursing students or nurses out there, is it possible to get a high GPA in the nursing program? It would probably be even tougher in a compressed program, but I am willing to work for it.

I don't know about accelerated nursing programs, but i DO know that NOSM looks at all years instead of the best two.

Nursing is pretty intense when taken over 4 years, so 2 years has gotta be brutal. Of course you can still do well in it, but it's going to be a lot harder. Good luck to you.

• 1 month later...
I graduated with a B.Sc from mac last spring, and I applied to a lot of fast track 2 year nursing programs in Ontario. I have been accepted into the York program but am waiting on a reply from UT before I make a final decision.

I have read a lot of info on this forum about nurses that go into medical school, and that it is possible. My question is, if I do go into this 2 year fast track program, is it possible to apply to medical schools in Canada with the marks from this nursing program? I have done all prerequisites since I have a B.Sc and my last two years are about 3.6.

To my knowledge, I know that UWO, Queens, Ottawa, McGill, NOSM all look at best 2 years and Toronto, Mac, UBC, U of C look at all years (or both degrees).

And to any nursing students or nurses out there, is it possible to get a high GPA in the nursing program? It would probably be even tougher in a compressed program, but I am willing to work for it.

As your questions directly apply to me as well I hope there are lots of good replies :) *bump*

Ooooh! I wanna know too! I just got accepted to U of C's BNAT (2-year accelerated nursing program), thinking that I might apply to med school again afterwards. I have a friend who's finishing up her last year of nursing now and got several med school interviews, so evidently it is possible to get good grades. That's in a regular 4-year program, though, not an accelerated one...

• 2 weeks later...

I would take a careful look at the courses you would be taking in the accelerated program and make sure that you would be taking enough countable courses/year to have each year considered as full-time study. I think there might be issues with the pass/fail courses.

Don't most medical schools look at your most recent coursework whatever that might be?

Most seem to take the cumulative approach but sometimes have some way to dealing with poor grades in the past. Mac, NOSM (although a second degree resets things), Toronto (although there is a drop course policy at Toronto) as cumulative. Ottawa has a three year wga, Queens goes overall, but if you don't cut it will reevaluate you on your last 2 years, and Western is best two years.

Someone might have to correct me but my understanding is most schools out west are cumulative, except I know U of S is best two years.

Bets is absolutely right - make sure you have enough courses/credit hours to be considered full-time - just paying full-time fees doesn't count. I completed the accelerated nursing degree at U of T and even though I was in classes and/or clinical for 40-60 hours a week, because we only actually took 3 courses (6.0 credits) in the final year, this didn't count as one of my full-time years. Really really sucked, because if I had known that at the beginning, I would have added a couple of courses to my schedule.

Hopeful_Med, you're right. Adding two courses would have been extremely difficult for many reasons. In the compressed program you do a lot of clinical rotations and towards the end, you're basically doing three 12-hour shifts a week with a preceptor and you work whatever shifts they're working - including nights and weekends. And since the schedules aren't always known too far in advance, it's likely that whatever course I took I would have to miss several classes due to my changing schedule. And doing three 12-hour shifts, still attending my other nursing classes and trying to study/prep for RN licensing exam, I likely woudn't have received the greatest marks for those courses...and come to think about it, I'm not even sure the faculty would have approved me adding two extra courses to my schedule so it may have been a completely moot point.

• 1 year later...

The American College of Nursing is a premier Bay Area nursing school, CA vocational nursing college focused on providing quality entry level LVN nursing education and training to students from diverse backgrounds and cultures. It has also launched a successful LVN to RN bridge program by partnering with leading universities.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

All courses are graded at U Ottawa, except your clinicals. I did the 2 year program and have more than enough courses/grades. The only way you get in to these programs is by already having required courses so that you can graduate with a full-time completed course load.

Archived