Premed 101 Forums

How Candidates are Ranked?

aclementine

It's the Multiple Mini Interview. At McGill it's 10 stations including a 20 minute traditional (open file) interview and 9 task/role playing stations that last 10 mins each. The MMI is now being used in MD admissions across Canada (though not at all schools.... yet). I've been through it and I think it's a great way to assess candidates.

Yeah, I think a lot of people are going to fail the MMI. In my mind 25-30% probably bombed it either through being too awkward, arrogant or insensitive (or the experience simply freaked them out). The rest of us likely fall into a tighter spectrum.

And my group was definitely in alphabetical order - we all fell within about 4 letters.

Haha, looks like we all have different 'official' versions. I always thought this breakdown made the most sense:

50% MMI

10% 20 Minute Interview

10% MCAT

20% GPA

10% ECs/Letters/Essays

But I don't know what it is. All we know is that the full interview is worth twice the amount as a regular station.

I think given that it's the first year McGill implements the MMI interview, a weighting of 50% is too risky. I think they should start low this year, say 40% to 30% and gradually adjust over the next few years based on the outcomes of this year and the years after.

If you were offered an interview it means your grades, CV, letter are good enough. You would not be interviewed if your chances of getting in were close to none based on their post-interview assessment. Unless you are at either extremities of the distribution in McGill's pre-interview assessment, the difference will be the interview.

I mean that if your GPA is 4.0 and your MCAT is over 36, you probably have to completely flunk your interview to get rejected.

On the other hand if your GPA is low and your MCAT is below 33, you probably have to do VERY well on your interview to get accepted.

Everyone else will likely be differentiated by their performance on the interview.

I agree... why make the MMI's worth less? That makes no sense. All candidates invited for interview are all academically-sound... that's already proven by GPA and MCAT. The other half which has YET to be assessed is character... that's what the MMI is for. So why put less weight on that when academics have already been scored? They're trying to separate those that do well in school and those that do well in school AND have physician-like qualities. IT's not all about the grades.

Archived