Premed 101 Forums

Preliminary Match Results 2009

Hey Everyone,

CIMSA (Canadian Irish Medical Students Association) has compiled a preliminary match results list which I've posted below. Before people start freaking out, a couple of things:

1)This data is PRELIMINARY. It is incomplete, and should NOT be used to base your admissions decisions on.

2)UCD and RCSI have the most matches listed because they have provided the most data. This does NOT mean that Trinity and UCC have fewer/worse matches. In fact, their matches are most likely very similar. They just haven't provided CIMSA with the data yet.

Other than that, enjoy.

RCSI (Current Final Meds Only)

Canadian Match

Family Med X1 (Winnipeg Urban)

Internal Med X1 (Halifax)

General Surg X1 (Toronto)

Total = 3

US Match

Radiology X2 (UMichigan, Miami/Jackson)

Internal Med X3 (UPenn, Leahy Clinic)

Emergency Med X1 (Brown)

Obs Gyn X1 (Baystate)

Neurosurgery X1

Neurology X1 (Tufts)

Surgery Prelim X1 (Lenox Hill)

Psychiatry X1 (SUNY Buffalo)

Pediatrics X1 (SUNY Stony Brook)

Total = 12

UCD

Canadian Match

Family Med X4 (Winnipeg Urban, Winnipeg Rural, Newfoundland X2)

Internal Med X2 (Toronto, McMaster)

Pediatric Neuro X1 (Toronto)

Radiology X1 (Toronto)

Anesthesia X1 (Toronto)

Total = 9

US Match

Pediatrics X2 (NYU, Einstein)

Total = 2

UCC

Canadian Match

Family Med X2 (Winnipeg Rural, Toronto)

Ortho Surg X1 (Ottawa)

Radiology X1 (Ottawa)

Total = 4

TCD

Data not available

No Canadian Grads at NUIG or ULimerick this year.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for posting the match results Jocks.

Any estimate on the number of students who don't match into Canada and US? Now thats the number I'm interested in and scared of. :o

There are always a couple of students who choose not to enter the match in order to do there intern year in Ireland. This allows them to register with the Irish/European medical council.

Besides that, I can tell you that 9/10 UCD applicants matched 1st round Carms. And 3/3 RCSI applicants matched 1st round Carms.

For those few that didn't match 1st round carms, if they entered the US match, they more than likely matched there. Otherwise, they'll probably match in 2nd round carms.

Try not to second guess the numbers here. I put them up to allay the fears of those coming/considering Irish schools, not to give people false hope.

I remember how afraid I was when deciding whether to come here. If I had this information then, I would have saved myself a lot of stress.

Cheers,

Jocks

Hi Jocks,

Thanks very much for the post, it looks like Irish grads do very well compared to other IMG's.

And I really apologize if I came off as trying to second guess you, I just haven't been able to find those numbers anywhere. It seems like every school only likes to sell what they're able to match.

Thanks again for the info.

Hi Jocks,

Thanks very much for the post, it looks like Irish grads do very well compared to other IMG's.

And I really apologize if I came off as trying to second guess you, I just haven't been able to find those numbers anywhere. It seems like every school only likes to sell what they're able to match.

Thanks again for the info.

No need to apologize. These numbers were compiled by CIMSA in order to give current students a better idea of where people end up.

Alastriss, 12/13 canadians from UCD and RCSI who entered the FIRST round of carms matched. The data from Trinity and Cork is less complete.

Alastriss, 12/13 canadians from UCD and RCSI who entered the FIRST round of carms matched.

I had always been under the impression that only graduates of Canadian schools or Canadian citizens graduating from American schools were only eligible for the first round. What criteria does one have to meet in order to enter the first round as an IMG?

I had always been under the impression that only graduates of Canadian schools or Canadian citizens graduating from American schools were only eligible for the first round. What criteria does one have to meet in order to enter the first round as an IMG?

This is a recent change which occurred about 2 years ago. There is a parallel match stream now with designated spots for IMGs. These spots unfortunately are still very limited in number, so it doesn't really solve any problems for immigrant IMGs who are working as cab drivers etc.

Jocks, a few questions:

How many of them ranked the disciplines they matched as their top discipline? how can they be doing as well as even canadian applicants?

1)I can only speak for the people I know personally, but in terms of discipline, they all matched to their first choice.

2)The answer to your second question is: not all IMG's are viewed on the same level...but that's just my opinion.

Guest viscous

the high success rate of Irish Canadians was sort of predicted in the past:

"Banner notes that there was no expansion for the residency match that took place earlier this month. However, she says a few more IMGs are being matched each year, "and the 'Irish Canadians' are more likely to be successful than some others."

Sandy Banner is/was executive director of the Canadian Resident Matching Service.

Source: http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/162/6/868#FU155

pretty old article though, nevertheless explains the past history of the trend.

Here are the Canadian Ontario SGU matches (2009) that I am aware of. I don't know about the other provinces.

University of Western Ontario Program Orthopaedic Surgery London ON

University of Ottawa Program Emergency Medicine Ottawa ON

University of Toronto Program Family Practice Toronto ON

University of Western Ontario Program Internal Medicine London ON

University of Ottawa Family Medicine Program Ottawa ON

McMaster's University Pediatrics Hamilton ON

University of Toronto Program Internal Medicine Toronto ON

Here are the Canadian Ontario SGU matches (2009) that I am aware of. I don't know about the other provinces.

SGU = St. George University? Yeah I think that's what you're referring to, I checked their website. I'm confused though, I thought UT family med was gone first round. So now Caribbean med schools can compete in the first round?

SGU = St. George University? Yeah I think that's what you're referring to, I checked their website. I'm confused though, I thought UT family med was gone first round. So now Caribbean med schools can compete in the first round?

You need to catch up on the changes. As of 2 or 3 years, in ONTARIO, there are parallel matches. With a specific number of residency spots reserved for IMGs only. Then if the Canadian med student spots are available then IMGs can apply for them during the 2nd round. IMG spots all have a return of service agreement.

Yes St. George's University in Grenada.

I feel this is useless unless we know whether or not these first first choice matches and how many didn't match succesfully.

I feel this is useless unless we know whether or not these first first choice matches and how many didn't match succesfully.

I think it's useful, because some of these programs are competitive even for Canadian med students and it shows that these programs/schools are recognizing SGU's program for the very few IMG spots from med students around the world? I know what you're saying, can't just look at "positive" results, but it just shows that it's possible to get into competitive specialties in Canada. (where so far I haven't seen uber competitive stuff like plastics or derm in Canada, not sure if they even leave IMG spots).

I think it's useful, because some of these programs are competitive even for Canadian med students and it shows that these programs/schools are recognizing SGU's program for the very few IMG spots from med students around the world? I know what you're saying, can't just look at "positive" results, but it just shows that it's possible to get into competitive specialties in Canada. (where so far I haven't seen uber competitive stuff like plastics or derm in Canada, not sure if they even leave IMG spots).

IMGs have been infiltrating every specialty since at least 2 years when I last checked their stats (I will pull up the table tomorrow sometime ..too tired now). Its not new that they are matching into these competitive programs. It is definitely not bad news though.

Archived