Premed 101 Forums

Preliminary Match Results 2009

IMGs have been infiltrating every specialty since at least 2 years when I last checked their stats (I will pull up the table tomorrow sometime ..too tired now). Its not new that they are matching into these competitive programs. It is definitely not bad news though.

Not IMG status specifically but which school the IMG is from. That's what most people are interested in because they want to predict their own future CARMs matches 4 years down the road when they apply or decide to go to these international schools. Not very accurate because it often depends a lot on the applicant themselves, but gives people an idea. Some Caribbean (and UK schools) have people who will NEVER match (or the rare one) and people learn to stay away from those because they accept anyone who is willing to pay.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not IMG status specifically but which school the IMG is from. That's what most people are interested in because they want to predict their own future CARMs matches 4 years down the road when they apply or decide to go to these international schools. Not very accurate because it often depends a lot on the applicant themselves, but gives people an idea. Some Caribbean (and UK schools) have people who will NEVER match (or the rare one) and people learn to stay away from those because they accept anyone who is willing to pay.

That is correct. You match on your own merits. It helps if they have previously had grads from your program, and if those people did well during residency. It reassures the PD that they are at par with Canadian school grads.

I for one will not apply for CaRMs. That is what I say now. Let see next year if I will change my mind or not.

I have many close friends who decided to go to Irish medical schools. They seem to be okay with going there. Hower, some would of rather have chosen a school that does more rotations in the USA. That makes a huge difference to when we apply to US residencies.

The OP can prob comment more about some of the hurdles Irish students are having to go through to get electives in the US. At least I know RCSI students have to do electives on their own time and it won't count towards their clincal rotation requirments at their school.

Is SABA one of the good Carribean schools? (if you want to match in Canada)

Saba has the most graduates who match into Canadian residencies compared to the rest of the Caribbean schools Their students generally have a really good reputation in the Maritimes, and the same is somewhat true in Ontario.

Guest viscous
CMG spots.

So Cdn citizens with US MD degrees have as much chance of getting matched into Canada as those with Canadian MDs if they compete for the same CMG stream?

• 4 weeks later...
So Cdn citizens with US MD degrees have as much chance of getting matched into Canada as those with Canadian MDs if they compete for the same CMG stream?

No....they're generally going to give a spot to Canadian grads who they're familiar with over someone trained in the US system.

I seems a little weird to me that only 3 RCSI decided to apply for Canada considering how many canadians are enrolled at that school. Anyone wnat to shed some light?

Most went U.S. instead, and matched extremely well.

Does Canada really give "priority" to IMGs coming from Irish/UK/Aus/Car medical schools? So even good Cdn students at top medical schools in other countries technically do not stand a chance?

I posted the match results in order for people to draw their own conclusions. These are how people matched this year...no more no less. If you were wondering how Irish grads matched, now you know!

I don't think anyone can say for sure if Canada gives "priority" to some schools/Countries. Common sense would suggest that not all places are on equal footing...but that's just my opinion.

...except for Trinity...nobody likes them...kidding! :P

what i'm really curious about is how people can afford the 55K euro expense per year (tuition + low-end living)! That's almost $100K Cdn after interest!

Yeesh... much much worse than the states, let alone aus or the carrib.

maybe the match rates speak for themselves? but is that amount of debt really worth it?

i guess some people just have particularly rich mommy's and daddy's... or won the lottery and invested well... or are very good coke dealers

maybe i need to get in on that

easier to match back in the US than in canada?

especially if you want a decent residency without an ROS contract (canada match for IMG seems to typically entail GP with ROS for min 5 years).

i thought imgs have a dedicated stream now, they have to do ros contracts?

i thought imgs have a dedicated stream now, they have to do ros contracts?

they do, but it's still very limited

i have a family friend that just went through the IMG process

she has to do a 5 year ROS contract in an underserviced area. She used to be a certified ob/gyn in India and the middle east, but she had to do GP here and redo her residency. It seems like the ROS is flexible though because she was able to open her clinic in an underserviced area that is still relatively urban. I guess underserviced could be pretty much anywhere in canada nowadays.

regardless, it was a tough go for her. Took her about 5 years after arriving in canada before she could practice. 2 years applying (3 exams), 1 year unpaid 'observation' year and 2 years residency.

ouch.

regarding these 3 posts... where did you guys find this info? could you give us the links? thanks

RCSI (Current Final Meds Only)

Canadian Match

Family Med X1 (Winnipeg Urban)

Internal Med X1 (Halifax)

General Surg X1 (Toronto)

Total = 3

US Match

Radiology X2 (UMichigan, Miami/Jackson)

Internal Med X3 (UPenn, Leahy Clinic)

Emergency Med X1 (Brown)

Obs Gyn X1 (Baystate)

Neurosurgery X1

Neurology X1 (Tufts)

Surgery Prelim X1 (Lenox Hill)

Psychiatry X1 (SUNY Buffalo)

Pediatrics X1 (SUNY Stony Brook)

Total = 12

UCD

Canadian Match

Family Med X4 (Winnipeg Urban, Winnipeg Rural, Newfoundland X2)

Internal Med X2 (Toronto, McMaster)

Pediatric Neuro X1 (Toronto)

Radiology X1 (Toronto)

Anesthesia X1 (Toronto)

Total = 9

US Match

Pediatrics X2 (NYU, Einstein)

Total = 2

UCC

Canadian Match

Family Med X2 (Winnipeg Rural, Toronto)

Ortho Surg X1 (Ottawa)

Radiology X1 (Ottawa)

Total = 4

TCD

Data not available

No Canadian Grads at NUIG or ULimerick this year.

Here are the Canadian Ontario SGU matches (2009) that I am aware of. I don't know about the other provinces.

University of Western Ontario Program Orthopaedic Surgery London ON

University of Ottawa Program Emergency Medicine Ottawa ON

University of Toronto Program Family Practice Toronto ON

University of Western Ontario Program Internal Medicine London ON

University of Ottawa Family Medicine Program Ottawa ON

McMaster's University Pediatrics Hamilton ON

University of Toronto Program Internal Medicine Toronto ON

Originally Posted by ED527

I am still a little confused - Cdn. citizens who attend a US med school (LCME accredited) - do they compete for the CMG spots or IMG spots?

CMG spots.

regarding these 3 posts... where did you guys find this info? could you give us the links? thanks

For the Ireland stats CIMSA surveyed the final year medicine students directly. That's why some of the schools are incomplete, they didn't get back to us. The results have been posted on the cimsa website as well:

http://www.cimsa.ie/wwwroot/index.php/currentstudents/academics/recent-presentations

Ok so you guys post all this stuff and its great and all, but how many of your class tried and DIDN'T match even though they tried?

so 12/13 Irish grads that did enter carms matched?

Alastriss, 12/13 canadians from UCD and RCSI who entered the FIRST round of carms matched. The data from Trinity and Cork is less complete.

Did you forget?

Archived