Premed 101 Forums

Preliminary Match Results 2009

No Jocks, I got your bit, but I meant for VanMD (I remember getting your ratio but didn't know it was you who responded to my post).

Alastriss, I don't understand what your problem is exactly. I believe you have been negative about the SGU track for many people.. unless I am mixing you up with someone else, I recall you posting negative things about this. There are many ways to getting to the same destination. Whatever you prefer take that one. It doesn't matter too much where you go, but it matters how hard you work and how smart you are.

#1. The info comes from SGU website (List of Matches). Actually there are 3 more Canadian matches that I heard about. You can go to SGU.edu and look up the link for matches. I don't have the time to find it for you.

i) Winnipeg, FP

ii) NOSM, Community medicine

iii) UWO, Nuclear Medicine

#2. I know a number of people (my close friends, who I still talk to on SKYPE regularly) who went to Irish medical schools. They are happy with that decision and they are learning medicine, exactly like we are here in Grenada. But their match rate in US is poor. Their exposure to US clinical training is low to none.

#3. SGU's match rate and stats are on the website. Please go find it if you want to know details. I personally know Canadians who matched in the US this year. Unfortunately I don't have stats, but Canadians and not-US citizens will logically have a lower match rate than US citizens. But I guarantee you that Canadians that do rotations in the US (ie. Ross, Saba, SGU) have been match rate in the USA than IRISH, BRITISH, SWEDISH, JAPANESE medical schools.. etc..

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alastriss, I don't understand what your problem is exactly. I believe you have been negative about the SGU track for many people.. unless I am mixing you up with someone else, I recall you posting negative things about this. There are many ways to getting to the same destination. Whatever you prefer take that one. It doesn't matter too much where you go, but it matters how hard you work and how smart you are.

#1. The info comes from SGU website (List of Matches). Actually there are 3 more Canadian matches that I heard about. You can go to SGU.edu and look up the link for matches. I don't have the time to find it for you.

i) Winnipeg, FP

ii) NOSM, Community medicine

iii) UWO, Nuclear Medicine

#2. I know a number of people (my close friends, who I still talk to on SKYPE regularly) who went to Irish medical schools. They are happy with that decision and they are learning medicine, exactly like we are here in Grenada. But their match rate in US is poor. Their exposure to US clinical training is low to none.

#3. SGU's match rate and stats are on the website. Please go find it if you want to know details. I personally know Canadians who matched in the US this year. Unfortunately I don't have stats, but Canadians and not-US citizens will logically have a lower match rate than US citizens. But I guarantee you that Canadians that do rotations in the US (ie. Ross, Saba, SGU) have been match rate in the USA than IRISH, BRITISH, SWEDISH, JAPANESE medical schools.. etc..

You are confusing me with someone else. I just feel that match lists generally lack a lot of valuable information and can be misleading in accurate to premeds who may not really know how to read it. I am saying that it wouldn't be useful to hear that 6 people matched without knowing how many ultimately tried. I personally would like to know how many tried and how many succeed. I don't even know that those who did match got their top choice discipline or program, that's all. I just feel that this additional info is pretty useful to know and it is not specific to sgu, it is true to any school. That's why you constantly hear the "elders" say don't use the match list to weigh your decision.

Yeah I know SGU has their match list on their website but I don't know who is an american citizen and who is a canadian citizen and obviously, not needing a visa is a pretty serious advantage, which does to an extent limit the usefulness of the match statistics posted on the website.

It does seem impressive though, I think I counted only 8 transitionals.

You are confusing me with someone else. I just feel that match lists generally lack a lot of valuable information and can be misleading in accurate to premeds who may not really know how to read it. I am saying that it wouldn't be useful to hear that 6 people matched without knowing how many ultimately tried. I personally would like to know how many tried and how many succeed. I don't even know that those who did match got their top choice discipline or program, that's all. I just feel that this additional info is pretty useful to know and it is not specific to sgu, it is true to any school. That's why you constantly hear the "elders" say don't use the match list to weigh your decision.

Yeah I know SGU has their match list on their website but I don't know who is an american citizen and who is a canadian citizen and obviously, not needing a visa is a pretty serious advantage, which does to an extent limit the usefulness of the match statistics posted on the website.

It does seem impressive though, I think I counted only 8 transitionals.

Sorry for the mix up. I try not to spend too much time on here, instead of studying.

It would be nice to know the stats. But to tell you the truth I don't really care about others too much. I just care that its possible and then I will make it happen for ME. It is the same anywhere else in life. If you want something do it.. get it done. And my fav saying that was told to me by my previous prof. "If they don't let you in the front door, go around back and jump the fence" either way get what you want.

I will keep you updated with things as they happen. First step is finish 2nd year and then do well on step 1. Everything else, not that important right now. I don't know if I am applying for CaRMS, but I will see. I am not too happy about the return of service thing.

Good luck with applications.

PS. As I tell anyone TRY TO GET INTO LCME MD medical school in Canada or USA. If all else fails, then try 2nd or 3rd or 4th option.

• 4 weeks later...

An updated list of SGU Matches 2009

https://baysgu35.sgu.edu/ERD/2009/ResidPost.nsf/BYPGY?OpenView&RestrictToCategory=PGY1&Count=-1

1. University of Western Ontario Program Orthopaedic Surgery London ON

2. University of Ottawa Program Emergency Medicine Ottawa ON

3. University of Toronto Program Family Practice Toronto ON

4. University of Western Ontario Program Internal Medicine London ON

5. University of Ottawa Family Medicine Program Ottawa ON

6. McMaster's University Pediatrics Hamilton ON

7. University of Toronto Program Internal Medicine Toronto ON

8. University of British Columbia Program Internal Medicine Vancouver BC

9. University of Manitoba Aboriginal Northern-Remote Prog Family Practice Winnipeg FP

10. University of Western Ontario Program Nuclear Medicine London ON

11. Northern Ontario School of Medicine Program Community Medicine Subury ON

Only 11 matches in Canada? What % of students at SGU are Canadian? I only say that because SGU is quite a lot larger than Saba, but Saba had at least 15 people match into Canadian residencies this year.

Saba has performed better than SGU on matching in Canada for the past 3 years. Saba has an advantage in that they can do some of their rotations in Canada. I believe they are unaffiliated. That makes a huge difference when it comes to matching in Canada. SGU has been talking about getting affiliated rotations in Canada but still nothing. SGU has a great record in matching in the US.

We have about 15-20% of each class that is Canadian. So anywhere from 50-60 Canadians in each term and we have 2 terms a year. 100-120/year. I don't think it was that big for the 2009 graduating class. BUT WE HAVE NO DATA on that. The school prob does but we don't know it.

For the carrib matches at SGU/SABA...do you think most of them IMG stream spots or the second round?

It seems like SABA caters more to Canadians for sure...they do a lot more recruiting here as well.

More are primary, some are secondary. I will outline which is which for you. At least I think they are.

First

1. University of Western Ontario Program Orthopaedic Surgery London ON

2. University of Ottawa Program Emergency Medicine Ottawa ON

3. University of Toronto Program Family Practice Toronto ON

4. University of Western Ontario Program Internal Medicine London ON

5. University of Ottawa Family Medicine Program Ottawa ON

6. McMaster's University Pediatrics Hamilton ON

7. University of Toronto Program Internal Medicine Toronto ON

9. University of Manitoba Aboriginal Northern-Remote Prog Family Practice Winnipeg FP

Second

8. University of British Columbia Program Internal Medicine Vancouver BC

10. University of Western Ontario Program Nuclear Medicine London ON

11. Northern Ontario School of Medicine Program Community Medicine Subury ON

Just a quick question... for info purposes... not putting anyone down or anything like that...

Are SABA and SGU the same in terms of accreditations?

Saba and SGU are both licensed in all 50 US states. That is equal.

I don't think SABA can get US student loans "Staford Loans" or something like that, but that doesn't make any difference to Canadians.

SGU has ~8000 alumni working in the USA and around the world (especially east cost USA). That makes a difference for future grads.

hey VanMD, 2 questions.

1) what is a transitional year? I have been seeing this everywhere, both on SGU and on US med school match lists

2) my friend said that it looks like sgu students will be able to do rotations in canada, can you confirm this?

1) Transition year for IM or Surgery is for people who are applying for PGY2 residencies (ie. Rad Oncology, Dermatology, plastic surgery, Anasth, etc...). They have to do one year (PGY1 in another specialty before they can start their intended specialty.

In the past (I think it was the case) MD that do transitional year can be licensed as General physicians. This is no longer an option so it doesn't matter anymore.

Now transitional year residency are being used for those who did not match in the categorical residency (complete residency). This gives them the chance to do something while they are waiting for next match cycle and to get experience, make connection, etc... Also rarely there are PGY2 spots open that they can apply to.

2a) SGU students can do up to 3 months elective rotations in Canada. They are called out of network rotations. The problem is we have to pay for them and some places like BC will not allow up to rotate there. South western Ontario and east coast are the most open to visiting IMG students.

2b) We are trying to make a big rumble to get SGU to sign collaborations with Canadian Universities to allow us to rotate in Canada (in network rotations, AKA affiliated with SGU). They say they are working on it, but still no results. There are rumors that a small group of student will be doing Psych in Canada this coming year (we will see about this). Also rumors that Family med may be done in Canada in the coming year, but I believe that rumor died.

2a) SGU students can do up to 3 months elective rotations in Canada. They are called out of network rotations. The problem is we have to pay for them and some places like BC will not allow up to rotate there. South western Ontario and east coast are the most open to visiting IMG students.

I believe SABA students can do more than 3 months in Canada, but I don't know the details. The reason SGU limits us to 3 months in Canada is to make sure we can still be licensed in the US. Some US states require that students do the majority of their rotations within university affiliated hospitals otherwise they won't license them.

Archived