Premed 101 Forums

University advice.

I am new to this university stuff, and would like some advice. I'm a paramedic in Sudbury and plan on going to Laurentian University for my degree in the fall, because I live literally 1.5 minutes driving from the place. However, in OAC I didn't take calculus, so I need to do a year of liberal sciences to take an intro calculus course. The other courses I'd take in that year would otherwise, however, be identical to what I'd have taken in biomedical biology (my initial choice).

So, the question is, will doing a year of liberal sciences disallow the courses taken that same year from being calculated as far as GPA is concerned? Or cause any other issues at all?

Also, I don't suppose anyone has experience with the biomedical biology program at LU and would be willing to share?

Taking the Calc course through a liberal science major won't go against you at all, and I wouldn't expect it to affect how your grades are calculated. My understanding is that liberal science is simply a science student who hasn't declared a major yet, and in many school, majors aren't declared until second year anyway. This shouldn't hurt you at all, especially in light of the fact that most (all?) schools don't require a certain type of degree for entry to medicine. In fact, many don't even have prereqs.

How about some good ol' Oscar Tango, that's more what I'm about.:cool::D

I don't get it. Overtime? edit: Oh, right, you're a medic too. Yeah, OT is cool especially on Sunday nightshift at a satellite station when you get paid a lot extra to just sleep.

This shouldn't hurt you at all, especially in light of the fact that most (all?) schools don't require a certain type of degree for entry to medicine. In fact, many don't even have prereqs.

Yeah, I'm not worried about the degree itself, I just know that they look at one degree, and I wasn't certain whether the liberal science stuff would count toward the biomed. Sounds like it should be fine though.

Archived