Premed 101 Forums

Expired passport, valid visa?

kalia

Hi,

My Canadian passport expires in 2011, but I'm probably getting my visa this July 2009, which means that I will have a valid visa in an expired passport come 2011. Has anybody tried traveling with an expired passport (containing a valid visa) along with their new passport in hand? Is this possible/allowed?

Thanks

no just get it renewed

I can't get it renewed, you're not allowed to get it renewed if you have more than 12 months left.

K, did a bit of research:

I have a valid U.S. visa in my expired passport. How can I use it or do I need an appointment to transfer it to my new passport?

You may travel to the U.S. with both your new and expired passport, that contains your valid U.S. visa, if:

* both passports are in your hands when you travel;

* your name and nationality in your old and new passports, and your visa, are an exact match;

* your visa is unmutilated and unmarked.

U.S. law has no provision to “transfer” visas. If your old passport is no longer in your hands or your U.S. visa was mutilated, marked, whole punched or removed from your old passport, then you must apply for a new visa in the normal manner by appointment, paying any visa fees and qualifying anew. Do not physically remove your visa from your old passport and attempt to travel with it. Removing a visa from a passport renders it invalid.

Guest copacetic
Hi,

My Canadian passport expires in 2011, but I'm probably getting my visa this July 2009, which means that I will have a valid visa in an expired passport come 2011. Has anybody tried traveling with an expired passport (containing a valid visa) along with their new passport in hand? Is this possible/allowed?

Thanks

just get them both renewed when they expire. no biggie. its a very quick process.

I can't get it renewed, you're not allowed to get it renewed if you have more than 12 months left.

K, did a bit of research:

I have a valid U.S. visa in my expired passport. How can I use it or do I need an appointment to transfer it to my new passport?

You may travel to the U.S. with both your new and expired passport, that contains your valid U.S. visa, if:

* both passports are in your hands when you travel;

* your name and nationality in your old and new passports, and your visa, are an exact match;

* your visa is unmutilated and unmarked.

U.S. law has no provision to “transfer” visas. If your old passport is no longer in your hands or your U.S. visa was mutilated, marked, whole punched or removed from your old passport, then you must apply for a new visa in the normal manner by appointment, paying any visa fees and qualifying anew. Do not physically remove your visa from your old passport and attempt to travel with it. Removing a visa from a passport renders it invalid.

Yup, that's what I had to do when I had that problem - carry both passports.

Archived