Premed 101 Forums

Extracurricular and volanteering only during undergrad years???

Dmitrip

hey guys, I took an extra year off from high school before going into undergrad and since I have some extra time now I decided to volunteer and use my free time to help around my community. I am still deciding whether to go into an engineering direction or go for a medicine direction in terms of my career path and I just read in a different forum somebody mentioning that the only extra curriculars and volanteering experience that med schools consider are the once you do during your undergrad year. Is this correct? because I was planning that If I do decide to go into medicine I will also include all the volanteering experince I did during this year, so if they dont I will still volunteer but that would sux because it will mean I will have to spend more time volunteering during undergrad rather then concentrate on getting high marks.

thanks a lot in advance

hey guys, I took an extra year off from high school before going into undergrad and since I have some extra time now I decided to volunteer and use my free time to help around my community. I am still deciding whether to go into an engineering direction or go for a medicine direction in terms of my career path and I just read in a different forum somebody mentioning that the only extra curriculars and volanteering experience that med schools consider are the once you do during your undergrad year. Is this correct? because I was planning that If I do decide to go into medicine I will also include all the volanteering experince I did during this year, so if they dont I will still volunteer but that would sux because it will mean I will have to spend more time volunteering during undergrad rather then concentrate on getting high marks.

thanks a lot in advance

Depends on the school. ottawa if I recall is particularly concerned just with the activities during your studies specifically.

Regardless you should volunteer anyway. For one this you need exposure to the medical field to make the engineering vs medicine decision you are confronted with.

Archived