Premed 101 Forums

how many med schools can you apply for?

Dmitrip

hey guys, I just have a quick question, how many med schools can you apply for? is there a limit? if there isnt I am guessing for each application there is a big fee you have to pay in order to prevent people from applying to every med school in the country.

thanks a lot

Each school outside of ontario is about 100 bucks each, and the ontario schools would cost about 700 to apply to all of them. If you wanted to apply to every school, it'd cost about 1800ish, plus travel but those are all really rough numbers.

I think so, yeah. The OMSAS charges your 285 to apply to 1 school I think (could easily be wrong, it's been a long time since I looked, and I've never applied) and it's like, 100 for each school after that I think. Again, not 100% sure.

EDIT: Yeah, 275 for 1 school and 650 for 6. Here's the link for OMSAS, as well as every other one in Canada: http://www.afmc.ca/pdf/2005AdBk.pdf

You can apply to as many schools as you want as far as I know, the only limits are how much money you have to spend on applications/interview (travel, lodging, etc.), time to spend on the applications, and time to spend on actually doing the interviews (as interviews usually fall around the same time in Canada, most schools doing them between February and early April).

I applied to 13 of the 14 schools in Canada, so it was stressful (I had 7 interviews in 1 month, with 3 of them on the same week, while doing school full time), but it was possibly worth it as I got interviews at schools I thought I had no chance at and didn't get interviews at schools I thought I was more competitive for. Good luck

I don't think the Ontario application prices are too bad considering most professional schools charge a similar fee. The $285 for just one school is a major rip, tho. At that price you may as well pay the extra however much and apply to three or four.

Who misses OUAC's $60 for three undergrad apps?

Atriedes, how are you enjoying Ottawa so far?

Hi,

Ottawa is pretty good, the first term was a bit chaotic with the new curriculum but the set-up for hematology, cardio, and resp have been great. I especially liked the community preceptor program where we shadowed a family doctor, and the physician skills development and other clinical aspects are great and my class is awesome.

Archived