Premed 101 Forums

Md/mba

Hey all, first time poster, long time lurker!

Has anyone had any experience with the MD/MBA programs in Canada? What are the admissions like - is it competitive? I have done some research at McGill's but I am unaware if there are any other schools which house this program.

Do people think it is a good idea? What are the pros/cons of this?

Cheers

McGill and Western are the only 2 schools in Canada which offer an official program. You can unofficially do it anywhere, though. Most students get their MD and then get an MBA afterwards. As far as I know, once you get into the MD program, you can just choose to do an MBA at those schools (much like an MD/pHD), but I could easily be wrong.

If you like the administrative part of health care, then all the power to you. I'm quite interested in the program but I'm going to wait and see if I get in before I do a lot more research. I just know I asked a Q at the U of A interview and I just passed on the info they gave me.

the US is the place to do joint MBA/MD. they have tailored programs that are about 5 years and integrate the MBA within the MD degree.

the other option is get your MD from any school in Canada then get an MBA from a US school later. If you really want to differentiate yourself for an MBA, then the US is where you should go. The best program in Canada, which is at Queens, still doesnt come close to the top 10 in the US.

A MBA is a great way to achieve an administrative job in public hospitals. For sure it will be also useful for any business related to health.

If these things don't interest you, obviously you don't have to bother with this overloaded program. Just as a PhD. If you won't make any research, why would you join a such program ?

Archived