Premed 101 Forums

Pet Peeve of the Day

I know a prof who uses his own book in his course, and one section of his final exam is a passage from the book with words missing, and the students have to fill in the correct words...

A prof I had, on the final, put a question saying "is it better to be a vegetarian than meat eater?" with no kind of allusion to environmental damage or anything like that, just a pure up moral question. This was after his final lecture was on the merits of being a vegetarian and how meat eaters are horrible people.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't like it when people breathe loudly when everyone else is being quiet and trying to study. I don't like it because it is really annoying and because I can't go up to them and say 'Don't breathe so loudly!' without coming across as a jerk and a psycho.

Actually, if you ever tried this you'd realize that the silence that ensues after you lay the verbal smackdown on someone more than compensates for the feeling like a jerk thing. It's understandable for rookies to be scared, but practice and you will soon be a pro. People will always hate......

On the other hand, if you want to take the polite route (this is preferable for those who are considerably weaker than the general population) you could always comment on how heavy breathing is a strong indicator of a serious and potentially fatal illness. If you can sell it, then the floor is yours.

Of course I only do it for open-mouth-chewers as that's easily my biggest pet peeve (some jackass and jackass girlfriend ate three jumbo popcorns during the Dark Knight in Imax with their mouths fully open and I will remember them forever....I swear they had to breathe through only their noses the entire time).

Well this is an entertaining thread...keep it up!

PS (I wonder how many people my title sets off?")

Actually, if you ever tried this you'd realize that the silence that ensues after you lay the verbal smackdown on someone more than compensates for the feeling like a jerk thing. It's understandable for rookies to be scared, but practice and you will soon be a pro. People will always hate......

I've been practicing my approach to telling people to stop talking in the silent area of the library.

I mix it up between:

"hey, would you guys mind keeping it down?"

"I can hear you talking an entire floor up and its pretty distracting"

"can you NOT talk?"

and my personal favorite, after being informed there was an entire table of high school girls having a chat on my floor

*Snaps fingers* HEY! Can you shut THE **** UP!?

needless to say, my floor is always quiet. It's noisy on floor 3 and 5, but not 4.

I guess another pet peeve is people who constantly complain of people distracting them but choose to do nothing but sit there and be bothered by it

I've been practicing my approach to telling people to stop talking in the silent area of the library.

I mix it up between:

"hey, would you guys mind keeping it down?"

"I can hear you talking an entire floor up and its pretty distracting"

"can you NOT talk?"

and my personal favorite, after being informed there was an entire table of high school girls having a chat on my floor

*Snaps fingers* HEY! Can you shut THE **** UP!?

needless to say, my floor is always quiet. It's noisy on floor 3 and 5, but not 4.

I guess another pet peeve is people who constantly complain of people distracting them but choose to do nothing but sit there and be bothered by it

Even your bad ass library cop demeanor cannot prevent some from doing what they do best:

Even your bad ass library cop demeanor cannot prevent some from doing what they do best:

hey man I have no problem with people losing all sense of public normality so long as they are not in my line of sight and they're keeping noise to a minimum, haha.

thanks for this though, i silently chuckled so hard my girlfriend had to come see what was so funny, haha

edit: Also i dislike when people are conditionally lazy and will walk by an elevator, press the button, and if it's not there waiting for them, THEN they take the stairs. Meanwhile someone somewhere probably actually wants to use the elevator and its making a waste of a trip

A HUGE pet peeve of mine is when you're in a group project and the rest of the group doesn't pull their weight and you're stuck fixing/finishing the damn thing at 4am!!

absolutely

astudentis, you're class of 2013, you heard back already?

• 2 weeks later...
bringing it back:

Pet Peeve of the Day:

on facebook, when people put stuff they said themselves in for their favorite quotes. It's ok when they started the quote, but its so tacky when it's the punchline...

And the hundreds of questionary they take, created by some random and low-life people, supposed to tell them which flavor of cake they would be.

Then it floods your homepage.

pet peeve of the day:

When you're in the express checkout lane at the grocery store (10 items or less) and the lady in front of you has at least 20 items in her cart. You politely inform her that she's in the express lane, since you don't want to take forever when all you want to buy is a 2L bottle of pop and a pack of gum. In response, she says "Well, all the other lines are SO long and I can't wait because I have an appointment to get my nails done in 15 minutes. I can't understand why all of you high school kids are rude all the time."

Needless to say, I wanted to yell at her right there in front of everyone, but I just smiled at her and she gave my the look of death.

pet peeve of the day:

When you're in the express checkout lane at the grocery store (10 items or less) and the lady in front of you has at least 20 items in her cart. You politely inform her that she's in the express lane, since you don't want to take forever when all you want to buy is a 2L bottle of pop and a pack of gum. In response, she says "Well, all the other lines are SO long and I can't wait because I have an appointment to get my nails done in 15 minutes. I can't understand why all of you high school kids are rude all the time."

Needless to say, I wanted to yell at her right there in front of everyone, but I just smiled at her and she gave my the look of death.

well done. I'm all about calling people out when they do silly things like that.

Not really my pet peeve, but how do you guys feel about when they are boarding plane, and the first call people from row 27 (or higher for a larger planes) and higher to board first... but people who have seats in lowered numbered rows board too...

What I find REALLY annoying is when you are in an airport and you are trying to get an earlier connecting flight (usually happens when you have some sort of delay and need to register for another flight). You sign up for it, you are the first one to do so. Then as they prepare to board the airline staff begin to start calling stand-bys, and a number of names go by and you still haven't been called - wtf? Turns out everyone who is first class/star choice/whatever can just show up at any time and bump us regular folk from the stand-by list. When it happens once, it's no big deal - but when it happens to you over and over again, you begin to feel like a second class citizen (in the airline business, I guess we are unless we fly first class).

Not really my pet peeve, but how do you guys feel about when they are boarding plane, and the first call people from row 27 (or higher for a larger planes) and higher to board first... but people who have seats in lowered numbered rows board too...

it seems to me that the generalized philosophy of most people in our society is that they appreciate that we have systems and rules for doing things, but they in particular must always be the exception. Happens with driving, people cutting lines, parking in handicap places, talking to management, etc.

What I REALLY find annoying (not trying to be ignorant) is fat people who just don't care. I mean, so obesity may be genetically linked.... but that doesn't give you an excuse to eat a supersized meal and my fries on top of it, then just blame it on genetics. Put that cheeseburger down and pick yourself up from in front of your 61" Plasma screen TV.

At least try.... if you fail after trying, well you have my respect. If not, you do not.

yeah I know what you mean. The way the media portrays that kind of stuff really bothers me.

Like I always just feel off when I hear things like "they battled obesity" or "they battled alcoholism" like they are noble heros who were the helpless victim of some infectious disease.

What I find REALLY annoying is when you are in an airport and you are trying to get an earlier connecting flight (usually happens when you have some sort of delay and need to register for another flight). You sign up for it, you are the first one to do so. Then as they prepare to board the airline staff begin to start calling stand-bys, and a number of names go by and you still haven't been called - wtf? Turns out everyone who is first class/star choice/whatever can just show up at any time and bump us regular folk from the stand-by list. When it happens once, it's no big deal - but when it happens to you over and over again, you begin to feel like a second class citizen (in the airline business, I guess we are unless we fly first class).

Yeah, but think of how much it costs to fly first/business class...and how little you really get for having to pay 2x-3x....

pet peeve of the day:

No verbal smackdown on her? :confused: I'd of been all over that one!

Archived