Premed 101 Forums

Is Health Sci a bird program?

It is easier to achieve high grades in Hlth Sci/Kin than in Science/Engineering.  

6 members have voted

1. 1. It is easier to achieve high grades in Hlth Sci/Kin than in Science/Engineering.

• True
    • False

Guest Dalboy

The whole art of medicine spiel is huge these days likely because it received too little attention in the past. You may think it's dumb, that's cool, but that will come back to haunt you. Doctors aren't just sponges for information. I really don't get why no one understands that.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

to the OP who started this thread, why don't you try to collect data on the gpas of students at mac health sci and index them against their mcat score? If you want something as a standard and you want to prove more legitimately that mac health sci is easier that may be a better approach than using a biased survey.

The whole art of medicine spiel is huge these days likely because it received too little attention in the past. You may think it's dumb, that's cool, but that will come back to haunt you. Doctors aren't just sponges for information. I really don't get why no one understands that.

Lol, because not enough people gain the wisdom of a health science degree...

Intentional sarcasm there, but Health Science promotes the art/social science component of the health care system very strongly and I am glad to have received this view during my degree in compliment to the sciences I took.

to the OP who started this thread, why don't you try to collect data on the gpas of students at mac health sci and index them against their mcat score? If you want something as a standard and you want to prove more legitimately that mac health sci is easier that may be a better approach than using a biased survey.

OMG i would LOVE to see this and then all of you can shut the **** up :) because the MAJORITY of us kill our MCATs... hence why you saw so many of us interviewing at places like UWO and Queens with their higher cutoffs...

The difference is significant enough. Are you saying that every program out there has an A- average? Of course not. A B average is very high, let alone an A- average. We aren't talking about the class average, but rather entire program GPA average.

OK but still makes NO SENSE... having program averages just tells u how others in ur program perform - it doesnt say much about YOUR abilities... theres no way you can distinguish if the program is hard or easy by looking at the average becasue you dont know the caliber of the students in that program - they arent all equal - if you think they are that would be ridiculous

also in engineering the majority of them just want to pass and dont care if they get a A or a B or a C... so yea... meanwhile a faculty like helath sci, the MAJORITY are pre-med keeners who work their ass off for that A... thus just by that facotr alone duh the GPA will be higher... plus we took the top ppl from their highschools by having a entrance cuttoff..

things like this happen with other programs... not only helath sci at mac... i.e. the genetics program at mac is a baller program...

they have smaller classes than health scis and since the cutoff after first year (for those of you who dont know you do first year general science then pick a program) was so high they only have really intense kids... so these kids get better marks thus their average as a program is higher... should they be penalized for getting into a sick program because everyone in their program gets higher marks?

Guest Dalboy

and now Cling's rebuttal, followed by Missy or Princess or whoever, and this incredibly pointless argument just keeps going on and on. Why not just study for exams, or better yet, in a couple days you can start to watch my B's absolutely destroy the Habs. 4 game sweep? I think so

and now Cling's rebuttal, followed by Missy or Princess or whoever, and this incredibly pointless argument just keeps going on and on. Why not just study for exams, or better yet, in a couple days you can start to watch my B's absolutely destroy the Habs. 4 game sweep? I think so

Lol, I for some reason hesitate to bet on the Bruins.

All those wins and I'm still not convinced. I didn't take any of them for my playoff pools.

I'm calling San Jose over NJ in 7.

haha that is if New Jersey gets out of the first round.

I don't think we need to argue that Health Sci (or any equivalent program such as Kin) has inflated grades...as Descartes says, it is common knowledge, with both students, professors and adcoms being aware of it.

Now, it is time to think of ways to minimize the advantage caused by unequal grading standards. Some good ideas have been brought up, regarding class averages, z-scores and so on. Keep that going.

As a side note, such changes do not happen overnight, and chances that the right people will follow this discussion are slim. So that is why I am emailing various faculty members and admissions commitee members with a friendly invite to these forums with a brief synopsis of the discussion thus far. You are welcome to the same.... Power to the people!

also in engineering the majority of them just want to pass and dont care if they get a A or a B or a C... so yea... meanwhile a faculty like helath sci, the MAJORITY are pre-med keeners who work their ass off for that A... thus just by that facotr alone duh the GPA will be higher... plus we took the top ppl from their highschools by having a entrance cuttoff..

The reason the majority of people in engineering are happy to pass is partially because the failure rate is so high. Just passing engineering is an accomplishment in itself.

For example: I started engineering with a class of roughly 300. There were mostly kids who did well in high school and first year university and managed to get into engineering (I know lots of people who didn't). By the time it was over there were roughly 125 of us left. We graduated about 160 (125 originals, the rest were people who had to repeat at least one year). Also, to add to the whole happy to pass thing, at my school if you failed one course in the semester (5-6 courses) you had to repeat ALL of them, even if you got 99% in all the other courses.

Guest viscous

well my friend at UT whose twin brother goes to Mac health sci clearly told me that his brother is "spoon-fed" and that he has a higher probability of getting 90s than my friend. Comparing the high school stats (including the mcat), my friend was doing better than his brother and he chose to stick in the town.

and I think missy is trying to prove something since shes in the health sci program?

Perhaps the best survey would be to ask Health Sci transfer students which program they feel is harder...the one they were in first year or the health sci program they've transferred into. That way you get a perspective of someone who's seen and done both. At the moment, the general result is going to be Health Sci students feel they have a tough program and their marks are reflective of their capabilities, and everyone else believes that health sci students have their marks inflated and as such belong to a bird program.

As a side note, health Sci students do the worst on the MCATs according to AAMC, but this accounts for all health sci programs continent wide and humanities students perform the best. (http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2008/mcatgpabymaj08.htm)

Perhaps the best survey would be to ask Health Sci transfer students which program they feel is harder...the one they were in first year or the health sci program they've transferred into. That way you get a perspective of someone who's seen and done both.

First off, apologies if this is only for UWO health sci/kin! I didn't do my undergrad at UWO (grad student here now though). I transferred from Health Sci to Kin in my undergrad (not a big switcharoo, i know!) and I found Kin to be a LOT harder for myself personally. My degree required calculus, physics, and biomechanics...along with biochem, g. chem, and orgo. These were not courses specially modified for KIN, they were your standard sciences courses taken outside of the KIN department. I found most of the KIN specific courses to be pretty easy...ie: History of Sport = cake (but very interesting!)

Health Sci didn't require me to do any 'hard' courses IMO. But I know plenty of health sci people who find their program difficult and kin people who find their program easy...to each their own!

As a side note, health Sci students do the worst on the MCATs according to AAMC, but this accounts for all health sci programs continent wide and humanities students perform the best. (http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2008/mcatgpabymaj08.htm)

I am personal proof of this! hahaha! I found my undergrad degree involved more memorization than application whereas someone with an engineering/math stats degree would have a lot more experience applying their knowledge. I think the MCAT has a memorization component to it but it really is about applying what you know and making connections. Thoughts?

this has gotta be one of the dumbest things ive ever read on this forum

I don't think you get it at all. I think that any doctor you talk to will acknowledge that medicine is more of an art than a science.

If you approach med school with the attitude you have displayed on this forum, you are going to be in for some difficult/frustrating times.

A lot of people consider 2nd year organic chemistry to be one of the hardest courses they will ever take. As a chemist (though I totally accept there's probably not a single other chemist on this forum), I've taken 2 3rd year organic chemistry courses, and 2 4th year organic chemistry courses and I just want to say they don't get any easier. So I'm just trying to say all undergraduate programs are not made equal.

A lot of people consider 2nd year organic chemistry to be one of the hardest courses they will ever take. As a chemist (though I totally accept there's probably not a single other chemist on this forum), I've taken 2 3rd year organic chemistry courses, and 2 4th year organic chemistry courses and I just want to say they don't get any easier. So I'm just trying to say all undergraduate programs are not made equal.

I, too, am a chemist, and I have found orgo to be the funnest, easiest course in all of uni. I have taken every orgo course my school has to offer and gotten 90+ with too much stress, and now I TA orgo courses.

That said, I cannot for the life of me do well in, for example, microbiology. So, to each their own I suppose.

P.S. if you are in the K-W area this summer and need orgo help (for MCAT or a summer course), PM me, I shall be offering tutoring.

Archived