Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Although some students to receive a seat after one application cycle only, all serious applicants need to understand they will likely need to apply for more than one cycle and those who take this longterm view with persistence will be successful at the end.

I needed that inspiration f_d. Although this is my first cycle, it's been really discouraging. With my less-than-stellar stats I applied with no expectations just to give it a shot, but going 0/3 pre-interview has been a huge blow to my confidence :( I wish I could travel back in time to my first UG and do things right the first time. Unfortunately time travel isn't possible...yet...;)

I'm seriously hoping that this 2nd UG pays off. I absolutely rocked last semester, but I'm not sure whether it'll be enough next cycle. Either way, I'm definitely in this for the long haul and I'm going to do whatever it takes to become a doctor. Even if I'm still on these forums at age 50 :rolleyes:

I needed that inspiration f_d. Although this is my first cycle, it's been really discouraging. With my less-than-stellar stats I applied with no expectations just to give it a shot, but going 0/3 pre-interview has been a huge blow to my confidence :( I wish I could travel back in time to my first UG and do things right the first time. Unfortunately time travel isn't possible...yet...;)

I'm seriously hoping that this 2nd UG pays off. I absolutely rocked last semester, but I'm not sure whether it'll be enough next cycle. Either way, I'm definitely in this for the long haul and I'm going to do whatever it takes to become a doctor. Even if I'm still on these forums at age 50 :rolleyes:

We may be here together, scratching ourselves such as old geezers do :D

I'm about to have a heart attack. My reference letters for grad school are due tomorrow, and one of my referees still hasn't submitted hers. I emailed her a reminder last week, resent the UBC link on Sunday, and spoke to her yesterday before class when I asked whether she had received the email from UBC for the submission and whether there had been any problems, and said yes she had received the email, cutting it a little fine, and she could give me back my USB key with all the necessary documents on it now with a smile. I thought maybe there had been an administrative back up, but my third reference sent his in this afternoon and it updated on my application checklist instantly!

She had no office hours today so I sent her ANOTHER email a few hours ago asking about it again while profusely apologizing for all the harassing emails, but explained that the reference was still showing up as "Not received" so I was very concerned.

No response as of yet.

I'm tearing my hair out, but I know there isn't anything I can do until tomorrow at this point. :eek::confused::(

I needed that inspiration f_d. Although this is my first cycle, it's been really discouraging. With my less-than-stellar stats I applied with no expectations just to give it a shot, but going 0/3 pre-interview has been a huge blow to my confidence :( I wish I could travel back in time to my first UG and do things right the first time. Unfortunately time travel isn't possible...yet...

I'm seriously hoping that this 2nd UG pays off. I absolutely rocked last semester, but I'm not sure whether it'll be enough next cycle. Either way, I'm definitely in this for the long haul and I'm going to do whatever it takes to become a doctor. Even if I'm still on these forums at age 50

You will spring back soon enough, I know. ;) This is not the time or about lack of confidence. Rejection is built into the system and the average med student tries for about 3 cycles before success occurs. Some do it in one cycle, some take seven cycles. Those who are persistent generally succeed despite the odds stacked against them.

To repeat, this is not about lack of confidence. It is about learning truly what humility means. When success is achieved, it is soo, soo sweet and appreciated.

It is important to hang in there, regroup, see if there is anything to learn from this cycle, how to make yourself a better candidate; although I fervently believe that lady luck plays her role. In my case, luck was crucial and it just happened that lady luck favoured me, although I could still be applying today - and would until I got in.

So, lick your wounds and move forward and upward. :P This journey is not for the fainted hearted.

The road is rarely a straight line. ;) Congrats! :)

Leon!! I am so happy to hear this!

Yay! Congrats!!!!!

Thanks guys. This cycle has been very humbling so far and I feel incredibly privileged to have gotten an invite. It's funny because I was *****ing about CASPer ever since they introduced it and yet CASPer was my lifeline this cycle! Ah, the trolls of fate

Thanks guys. This cycle has been very humbling so far and I feel incredibly privileged to have gotten an invite. It's funny because I was *****ing about CASPer ever since they introduced it and yet CASPer was my lifeline this cycle! Ah, the trolls of fate
lol. CASPer is always an interesting thing. People either like it or hate it and you never really know how you did after writing it.

Thanks to all of you who PMd me tonight. It means a lot. Rejected again, but the changes for next year will improve my GPA by over 0.4 (from 3.43 to about 3.85GPA).

I am still hopeful and optimistic, don't you worry. I feel like I put a down payment on a car and the factory has just told me that they're really sorry, but it won't be ready for another year. :D

Thanks to all of you who PMd me tonight. It means a lot. Rejected again, but the changes for next year will improve my GPA by over 0.4 (from 3.43 to about 3.85GPA).

I am still hopeful and optimistic, don't you worry. I feel like I put a down payment on a car and the factory has just told me that they're really sorry, but it won't be ready for another year. :D

Aw sorry :(

We're adding a new course today (psych), because clearly having 7 + the second half of volunteering hours wasn't enough! :/ Sucks because I took that class in my 1 semester of physio, but it was too long ago to consider..

That's a massive bump that qualifies you for pretty much all of Ontario! A huge increase in chances- might I ask how you brought about such a change?

http://www.newswise.com/articles/massage-is-promising-for-muscle-recovery-reduces-inflammation?ret=/articles/list&category=medicine&page=2&search[status]=3&search[sort]=date+desc&search[section]=10&search[has_multimedia]=

Massage Is Promising for Muscle Recovery: Reduces Inflammation

McMaster researchers find just 10 minutes of massage reduces inflammation.

Archived