Premed 101 Forums

Internet at Home

Guest Chieka

Guest Chieka

To current U of T meds: did any of you not have access to the internet at home? Did you find access provided in the school computer labs to be enough? Or do you think at home access would be more convenient?

Thanks,

C.

Guest cheech10

I wouldn't suggest school access only. The computers in the lab can be a pain at times (frequent crashes), but it is generally fast, and there's always a computer open if you need one.

Guest bluesky125

Hi Chieka,

I find having internet access at home very useful. It is so much easier to look up things for PBL the night before :)

That being said, all the medical students have 24 hrs access to the computer lab in MSB (Medical Sciences Building). However, you may need to switch between 2-5 computers before you find one that is reliable.

I am so excited to meet you in Sept!

Cheers,

bluesky125

Guest Chieka

Thanks for the input, cheech and bluesky. And now, another question. :) : What internet providers are you familiar with? Does U of T have its own at home provider?

Thanks,

C.

Guest bluesky125

I am using Rogers. Dial-up (Sympatico) also seems to be a pretty popular choice.

I am not too sure if U of T has its own Internet provider. Perhaps cheech10 will know more about it.

Guest bkim20

Yes, U of T provides internet access. Although I didn't use it myself, it's a satisfactory and cheap alternative from what I have heard. If you don't mind dial-up speed, all you need to do is buy 'tokens' or 'hours' at Robart's Library once you are registered as a student.

Take care,

Guest UTMed07

I used to use U of T's internet service. I think it is called 'UTORDial.' If it is still the way it used to be, you get a (free) tolken every term (one tolken = 20 hours). What I liked about it is you paided by usage--as opposed to a flat rate per month. I'm with sympatico... don't think I could live without high speed. :P

Guest Namgalsip

Hey guys,

I'm still on vacation but finally managed to find a computer with Internet access. It looks like I have a lot of catching up to do on the forums when I get back.

Not to deviate to much from the original post, I though I'd mention "istop" which provides high speed access for only 28$/mo if you buy your own modem. It's much cheaper then sympatico and works much better (for me...I always had problems with sympatico).

Anyway, can't wait to meet you all soon (and read all your posts when I get back next week). That O-week schedule sounds like a blast...well, except for that anatomy lecture they decided to squeeze in.

Nams

ps, we should all wear name tags with our nicks on them so we can find each other :rollin

Archived