Premed 101 Forums

3 year stress?

Hey I know this has been covered before, but can some current U of C students talk a little about what they think about how hard it is as the program is only 3 years, not 4?

I was just talking to a GP friend of mine and she was cautioning me about the 3yr program cause it's especially stressful during clerkship (she did a 4 yr program though, so may be biased...)

I spoke to someone from the class of 2009 there, and they said that stress-wise, a 4-year program is a little easier to handle and they suggested I go to a 4-yar school if I have the option - burnout was a major issue for this person. That's just 1 individual, of course, someone else might feel differently.

I just graduted and 3 years is a challenge. You really start missing your holidays and you are absolutely burned out. But we survived and many matched to competitive specialties. I dont' wish there was an entire 3rd year...just maybe an extra 2 weeks of vacation and an extra month of electives. If you like slow and steady then 4 years might be better for you but 3 years is totally doable. Just have balance in your life and go on lots of vacations. We did trips to Vegas and Mexico, frequent camping trips and of course lots of massages!

If you have a choice, then it might be nice to have the luxury of 4 years but if you dont'...dont' stress about the 3 year thing..you'll never know any different...haha. You'll survive!

I totally agree. I'm a clerk now and 2 weeks would be enough for the summer. More elective time would be helpful too. They should start the program in July instead of mid august and then you could actually get the elcetives in before CaRMs deadlines.

I just graduted and 3 years is a challenge. You really start missing your holidays and you are absolutely burned out. But we survived and many matched to competitive specialties. I dont' wish there was an entire 3rd year...just maybe an extra 2 weeks of vacation and an extra month of electives. If you like slow and steady then 4 years might be better for you but 3 years is totally doable. Just have balance in your life and go on lots of vacations. We did trips to Vegas and Mexico, frequent camping trips and of course lots of massages!

If you have a choice, then it might be nice to have the luxury of 4 years but if you dont'...dont' stress about the 3 year thing..you'll never know any different...haha. You'll survive!

Hi,

I have a question for some of you meds to answer. Someone told me that where you go to medical school isn't as important as where you go for residency. But wouldn't the medical school you attended affect where you got your residency?

Then, where do most U of C graduates complete their residencies?

Thanks

calgary actually has one of the LOWEST %age of people matching to FM/GP in the country. lots of surgical and other competitive specalties. two to plastics this year, one ENT, gen surg, ortho, urology also went matched (check out the carms website for full stats)

For the class of 2009, there were (from memory so I will miss some):

2 plastics

2 ent

4 urology

1 optho

2 rads

4 anesthesia

3 emerg

2 gen sx

4 ortho

1 neuro sx

1 rad onc

1 med gen

4 neuro

2 peds neuro

3 o&g

10 psych

10 peds

23 internal

38 family

1 unmatched

Most people got the specialty they wanted...there were not many surgeons in our class (which is unusual for uofc).

Archived