Premed 101 Forums

International and Aboriginal experiences

I am definitely interested in doing some international work as well as working on Aboriginal reserves during medical school. I was wondering if current UWO med students could share their experiences with regards to these two areas. Is is possible/relatively easy to choose to go to an Aboriginal reserve for the rural week? Would I be able to do an international elective (ie. Kenya or Tanzania) during clerkship or get some international medical experience during the summers? Thanks in advance!

speaking from no personal experience:

rural week is meant for you to travel to a SWOMEN location, and your choice is really: small, medium, or large location; Admin does the rest. You can arrange for summer electives in Aboriginal reserves (and I think it's pretty easy regardless of the school you chose).

International electives are up to you to organize, but we have a group of students each year that go to Tanzania for much of the summer: http://www.medoutreach.ca; others go to india or china (those seem to be the big three) but we've got students going all across the globe to start/help with health care initiatives.

Archived