Premed 101 Forums

New spots funded for September

Hey Waitlisters,

The Minister of Health, our local MP(P?) and the Dean of Schulich Medicine & Dentistry announced new spots for medical students starting September 2009. There will be 6 in London, 6 in Windsor this year, 4 in London, 8 in Windsor next. That's a total of 24 spots over the next 2 years.

http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/news/index.php?article=000729

Just noticed a bunch of you saw this already, but it's such a big deal it shouldn't be hidden under "declining admission" :)

As someone on the waitlist, I'm curious as to whether this was decided before or after the initial round of offers went out...

The admin had an inkling that this was going to happen but were waiting for the confirmation/initial announcement. I'd be surprised if they gave invites to the extra 12 spots too, though they've surprised me before.

re. cutoffs - no idea. It's such a gamble to begin with and depends almost entirely on the group applying.

The admin had an inkling that this was going to happen but were waiting for the confirmation/initial announcement. I'd be surprised if they gave invites to the extra 12 spots too, though they've surprised me before.

Thanks Darla. That's very reassuring.

thank you darla.

do you think the cutoffs will go down for next year?

I'd only say this news could affect the cutoffs IF the school decided to interview more students for the increased number of spots. The cutoffs are based more upon the number interviewed, and not on the number ultimately accepted. Needing to accept more may mean needing to interview more, but the 475 or so that they have been interviewing are more than enough to pick 147 (well now 159-172) students from.

It's interesting to note that the number of students interviewed have gone up (a bit) over the past few years, yet so too have the cutoffs, so it is really dependent on who is applying.

Is there a policy that the SWOMEN GPA cutoff must be the same as that of the regular applicant pool? Is there a chance the cutoff will be lower for SWOMEN students?

Don't know if it is policy but they have been the same recently, and the same this year. The SWOMEN advantage appears in other ways.

If I had to guess I would say it probably will have little effect on the stated cutoffs beyond the normal fluctuations that happen depending on the pool.

To me this means those on the waitlist over the coming years can sleep like 10% easier ;) .

In any case this increase is happening all over Ontario (~100 spots total), many people get accepted to several schools, so I mean you could say an entire medical school will have been added to Ontario by 2011.

In any case this increase is happening all over Ontario (~100 spots total), many people get accepted to several schools, so I mean you could say an entire medical school will have been added to Ontario by 2011.

Haha, yes, the equivalent of a second Queen's has been added. ;)

Of those 100 spots, does anyone have any info on how many will be in place for this year? 12 at Western...and ? at other schools. I am just neurotically trying to get a sense of how much additional movement there will be across all Ontario waitlists this year.

Officially official:

Increased medical spaces address doctor shortages

Twelve more medical school hopefuls will soon receive acceptance letters from the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry at The University of Western Ontario, reinforcing a commitment made earlier this year by the provincial government.

This year, six new spaces will be created at the London campus and four new spaces will be added in 2010-11. At Schulich’s satellite campus in Windsor, six spaces have opened up for 2009-10 and eight in 2010-11.

Although the majority of acceptance letters were mailed last week, a new set of letters will be sent to the top 12 students on the waiting list to make up the 2009-10 complement.

Okay guys and gals with a high rank on the waitlist, you may be next!

Archived