Premed 101 Forums

Does first year of undergrad count?

Some schools count 1st year and some schools don't depending on their weighting formula. You should read the OMSAS guide to get a better understanding of the formulas for the different med schools.

Also, getting under an 85 and then changing schools may not necessarily help you get over 85 in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year. The more important thing would be to figure out why you didn't get above and 85 in the first place (as in you didn't study enough, didn't understand the concepts, etc) and try to improve upon those areas. I only mention this because although people say York is easier than UofT, it all depends on how much work you're willing to put in to get the GPA you want.

Does the first year of undergraduate count for med school, because I plan to attend uoft for a year and if my average is under 85 transfer to york?

The simple answer is "yes" first year UG does count, with exceptions. U/T has a special weighted formula that applies after 3 years of UG, wshereby you can drop a certain no. of courses, another med school looks at your 2 most recent years, but as thatonekid said, look at the OMSAS Booklet.

Archived