Premed 101 Forums

Less than desirable GPA but pretty good MCAT?

Hello everyone, i'm new here and not very experienced in the med school application process. Could any kind folks out there give me some ideas as to my chances for UBC med or other provinces' med schools (I'm a UBC student who just finished my 3rd year btw)? Would i even get an interview?

Overall GPA: 85.3%

Last 60 credits: 84.4%

Pre-req average: 82.3%

MCAT: 36Q VR-11, BS-12, PS-13

Volunteering at BCCH, VGH and UBCH totalling about 300 hrs so far (not wayfinding etc... activities that actually involves 1-1 patient interactions)

I have about a year of part-time research experience processing viral blood samples. I'm also doing co-op for a year so i'll have other research experience as well and possibly my name on some of the published papers.

I think i'm a bit weak on the EC stuff since i don't have much club activities, leadership experiences and volunteering at remote areas. I'll perhaps try to find some of these opportunities later as i'm not planning to enter this year's application cycle.

I also know my school marks are not that excellent among successful med school applicants. I guess i should've studied more consistently rather than cramming, especially when most of my exams require rote memorization of vast amount of facts and when i've been taking the harder versions of O-chem and biochem. But what's done is done... i can only hate myself for my lack of self-discipline now :'(

Any input would be much much appreciated :) Thank you!

Your GPA will most likely get you an interview. Your average is equal to or slightly greater than the average entering class at UBC. MCAT is high, but I'm not sure how UBC weights it- I don't think very much.

EC's are fine from my perspective. I think you could get an interview and acceptance.

EDIT:

Last years entering class had averages of:

Overall- 83

Pre-req- 81

Last 60- 86

Your grades are pretty much what I have and I was accepted! I did research and hospital work as well but on top of that I was an executive in our College's student council and a student club and I managed and played for our varsity badminton team so I had my leadership areas covered. Other than diversifying your ECs, remember that the NAQ also includes your interview, autobiographical sketch and 3 reference letters. Seeing how you shouldn't have a problem getting an interview, make sure to choose your referees carefully and perfect your sketch!

Hey MSmith19 and djmackj thank you for your reply. It looks like i do need to work on my ECs as my GPA is average at best and it sort of reflects a declining work ethics on my part as my overall GPA is higher than my last 60 cred and pre-reqs. :(

About the reference letters... should they only be from people with prestigious occupations such as doctors/scientists, rather than ex. patients whom i got to know very well during volunteering? Also, many volunteer places offer reference letters after a certain # of hrs of commitment, but the volunteer coordinator may not know me very well personally... so is it a good idea to use these for med school applications?

People say it often, although a balance is needed:

It's better to have a very in-depth and flattering reference letter from someone who knows you very well, than to have a distant, cold letter from some prestigious individual that barely knows you. However, prestige and power of the individual do also play the role. A letter from a family friend and your grandma < letters from your university's dean and the head doctor of Canada.

well one of my letters is written by a professor that has worked with me for over one and a half years, so he knew me very well. These kinds of letters are pretty standard imo and are expected by the adcom. I also worked very closely with a well-respected doctor for 3 years and this type of personal letter from a person of prestige is something you want to aim for but I don't think it'll hurt you if you couldn't get one. The third letter was just a colleague that has also gotten to know me for a few years. I would recommend staying away from those cookie-cutter letters that volunteering places give out. If I remember correctly, UBC requires the referee to fill out a form instead of writing a letter.

Archived