Premed 101 Forums

U of T wait list

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm actually kind of surprised UT's admitted average was only 3.84... That's what, 84%?

Is that a U of T 3.84 or an omsas? If it's a U of T .. I'd say that's a high 80 or maybe low 90

If OMSAS gpa then it'd be slightly higher than i mentioned

I don't know if it will come out on these forums, but FML means, **** my life. google it and check out the website, its kinda funny.

Thank you so much for informing me of that site.

"Today, I had a sauna with some of my friends. From what I'd been told, it would be one of the regular saunas with the guys where we usually don't bother wearing anything. It wasn't. When I walked in, there were women there and I was the only one naked. FML"

Is that a U of T 3.84 or an omsas? If it's a U of T .. I'd say that's a high 80 or maybe low 90

If OMSAS gpa then it'd be slightly higher than i mentioned

I don't know, someone posted (from the UT rejection letter I'm assuming) the 3.84 admitted average. This GPA thing is confusing... I calculated my best year as just under 87% and my UT transcript calls that a 3.91 annual GPA... But I guess 3.91 can mean different things? Would it be different because I took 7 courses that year vs. someone who averaged 87% over just 5 courses? Or is it just the range that brings GPA up/down?

I don't know, someone posted (from the UT rejection letter I'm assuming) the 3.84 admitted average. This GPA thing is confusing... I calculated my best year as just under 87% and my UT transcript calls that a 3.91 annual GPA... But I guess 3.91 can mean different things? Would it be different because I took 7 courses that year vs. someone who averaged 87% over just 5 courses? Or is it just the range that brings GPA up/down?

You probably have never had a mark in the 70s. A 75 is a 3.0, drastically dragging down one's GPA but only slightly hurting one's percentage average. It's a way for OMSAS to reward people who have consistantly high grades I suppose, but it screws other people over. For example I have an average over 85% but a GPA <3.8. FML. lol

I see, thanks Mrs. Weasley. I actually did get a 77 in my last year which UT doesn't drop, which brought my cGPA down to 3.87. Damn that pharmacy management course, all he talked about was how Walmart rules the world. I'm a pharmacy manager now, and he was right... go figure.

Thank you so much for informing me of that site.

"Today, I had a sauna with some of my friends. From what I'd been told, it would be one of the regular saunas with the guys where we usually don't bother wearing anything. It wasn't. When I walked in, there were women there and I was the only one naked. FML"

I just checked out the site too; it's pretty funny.

"Today, a patient came into the pharmacy and wanted to know my professional opinion about a nasty rash he had on his behind. I said I wasn't qualified to diagnose him and recommended he speak with his doctor. He said his family doctor had retired and insisted on showing me anyway. I wish I was a dentist instead. FML"

I just checked out the site too; it's pretty funny.

"Today, a patient came into the pharmacy and wanted to know my professional opinion about a nasty rash he had on his behind. I said I wasn't qualified to diagnose him and recommended he speak with his doctor. He said his family doctor had retired and insisted on showing me anyway. I wish I was a dentist instead. FML"

+1 hilarious.

3.84 avg for cGPA seems WAY too low, since usually the avg is around 3.9. I think 3.84 was the cutoff, since it would make a lot more sense. Also, the interview cutoff was a bit below 3.84 i believe, so if 3.84 was the avg, then most of the ppl that got in would be the ppl who barely made the interview cutoff? Unlikely. So I think 3.84 was the cutoff this yr.

I don't think the waitlist will be moving much if any until second deposits are due (mid-late August). I mean, say if somebody who got accepted into UofT dentistry got into med school... I doubt they'd email UofT dent saying they're rejecting the offer of admission, so they simply won't be paying the second deposit, and get booted automatically.

+1 hilarious.

+2

I don't think the waitlist will be moving much if any until second deposits are due (mid-late August). I mean, say if somebody who got accepted into UofT dentistry got into med school... I doubt they'd email UofT dent saying they're rejecting the offer of admission, so they simply won't be paying the second deposit, and get booted automatically.

Yah sadly I'd hafta agree with that logic. I hate to think that because it makes it so inconvenient to plan for things (ie: student loans, finding a place to live, etc) but that's probably the reality of it since there's no real motivation for people to go and make the effort and tell U of T "hey no thanks"

Maybe there will be some movement when Western gives out its acceptance (even tho the same logic still applies lol)

*crosses fingers*

I think the 3.84 is misleading. I know UofT takes a significant proportion of grad students that are skewing the GPA. Generally it is easier to get a higher mark in grad courses. For example, my undergrad cGPA was around 3.8 maybe even a little below that but my grad GPA was 3.9 and I got accepted.

ad19 that makes sense. On their website it says a 3.7 was required for an interview. I think it would be unfair to give the 3.7+ people and interview which requires time,money and nerves and then say the cutoff is 3.84 anyways...

just my thoughts

Hmm, that does make sense too. So if the average really was 3.84, then we've gone down quite a bit from class of 2011's 3.91 average. Apparently that was a record year where the dents average was even better than the meds average and a third of the class were all masters and phd. I wonder if the Western average will trend down this year after the big jump up by last year's class (to 88% from 85%)

From their admissions pdf :

It should be noted that the 190 domestic applicants invited for an interview had a GPA of at least 3.7 and the 10 international applicants invited for an interview had a GPA of at least 3.5.

On their website it's 3.75 instead of the 3.7 for interviews.

Still doesn't make sense to me... I doubt the interview cutoff was 3.7, that seems way too low, maybe that was for another year, or included international or OOP applicants or something.

You're right it wasn't 3.7, they actually don't have a "cutoff". I called admissions when I didn't get an interview and they told me there is no cutoff they just add up everyone's score out of 70 (GPA/60 and DAT/10) and the 160 ppl with the highest scores get interviews. They said in the pre-interview rejection emails this year that the average GPA of ppl invited for interview was 3.83. So it is quite possible that the average GPA of ppl accepted was 3.84 (which I guess was in another email someone got?). I know this is lower than last year's 3.91, but it does make sense when you think about it this way.

... lol i don't know why I keep posting/checking this forum I'm not even on the U ofT waitlist.

What's even crazier is the 3.91 for the class of 2011 is from a year where the waitlist moved 40 spots... So even the people that didn't make the first round of acceptances had amazing GPAs.

BTW Mrs. Weasley, are you really a Mrs? I wonder if it'll be hard to balance married life and student life, being a wife myself.

... lol i don't know why I keep posting/checking this forum I'm not even on the U of T waitlist.

lol

Does anyone know that if you get off the wait list, if they'll immediately contact u (ie: email, phone) or through snail mail?

T00thFairy, got any idea how much the OOP waitlist moves per year?

i talked to some people at my interview

one girl said that she was #5 last year, but it only went to #4 so she missed it by one spot, which was surprising, since apparently, it usually moves like 7 spots... of course, this is purely through word of mouth. hope that helps :)

Archived