Premed 101 Forums

what exactly happens in o-week?? is it mandatory to be there for the entire week? i see it starts on aug. 24th, does anyone know what time people arrive? i have a wedding on the 23rd and am concerned about whether or not i need to be there early monday morning

what exactly happens in o-week?? is it mandatory to be there for the entire week? i see it starts on aug. 24th, does anyone know what time people arrive? i have a wedding on the 23rd and am concerned about whether or not i need to be there early monday morning

Firstly, congrats on your acceptance! Woot 1T3s!!!!!

O-Week changes year to year. But I can tell you about mine.

I showed up and went to a presentation. There I was welcomed to medical school by faculty and executive members of the Medical Society who gave some speeches and advice.

Then we had some small group tours around Toronto designed to help introduce the city to those that might not be from here. These tours are led by second year students.

In the evening we had a casual dinner downtown with my class and went to check out Maddys.

The next day we had a swanky breakfast on the dean. Then we swore the Hippocratic Oath. After this we were whisked away for an academic orientation which introduced the many resources available and the details of the first year curriculum.

After this we took off to the hospitals where we got tours and were welcomed into our academies. We also got administrative stuff taken care of at this time (eg id tags etc.).

That evening there were social events planned. We had an infamous Karaoke night that has become a ledged.

The day after this I think we had a presentation from the CMA and OMA. They welcomed us to the profession etc. Then we received our CMA/MD Financial backpacks. After this we had a presentation from our Alumni Association and we got tips on how to get moola to fund our four year adventure. This ended with a wine and cheese dinner event hosted by Alumni.

Then we packed up and went out to a farm owned by UT (Hart House Farm). There we slept over and lots of debauchery occurred... :D

After giving us a day to recoup we began full tilt into anatomy and our lives became owned by the anatomy lab for the next few months.

It went by fast. But I really really recommend trying to attend as much of it as you can. Generally there is a lot of information that needs to be disseminated to you. Also the social events are pretty important to. It makes working with people easier if you know them a bit out of class first. And you will be working with people, anatomy labs, clinical skills at the hospital, pbl groups etc.

With that said, if you miss a bit, no one will hold it against you. But I would try to prioritize the week if you can do it.

If you miss a day or two, you're not gonna get kicked out of med school, nor will you have no friends in your class. The first days of O-week have some info on the school and the city and offer opportunities to meet new people, but there's also the latter half of O-week to party for that.

Keep in mind, you'll have the rest of your medical career to miss your friends and family's important events.

thanks rogerroger! if the week is anything like yours, it sounds like it will be awesome! i heard there was an event that takes place up the CN tower, any truth to this? also, when do we rank our academies etc.? is there another package that gets sent to us after we have been confirmed as accepting the offer?

i heard there was an event that takes place up the CN tower, any truth to this? also, when do we rank our academies etc.?

Yes, the last night of o-week had a party at the CN tower... not sure if they're doing it again this year or not.

The academy ranking happens later in the summer... don't worry about it now!

Archived