Premed 101 Forums

Acceptance criteria?

I am sorry for not finding a definitive answer to this question in other threads.

Is it correct that only two best undergraduate years are considered in terms of GPA and the full undergraduate performance with all years taken into account is never used to rank the applicants?

So at Western the application is sort of three-stage:

1. Passing GPA and MCAT cut-offs, which is the basis for interview granting;

2. Interview proper;

3. Final selection based solely on the interview performance.

Thanks for your inputs.

I am sorry for not finding a definitive answer to this question in other threads.

Is it correct that only two best undergraduate years are considered in terms of GPA and the full undergraduate performance with all years taken into account is never used to rank the applicants?

So at Western the application is sort of three-stage:

1. Passing GPA and MCAT cut-offs, which is the basis for interview granting;

2. Interview proper;

3. Final selection based solely on the interview performance.

Thanks for your inputs.

1. Meeting the GPA and MCAT does NOT guarantee interview (according to their document); however, yes it has been noted that as long as you meet the MCAT and GPA cut-offs you'll get an interview invitation.

2. yes (HELL YES!)

3. No, the breakdown so far.. (that i have heard of) is 25% GPA, 25% MCAT, 50% interview.

**with that being said: note that extracurriculars and LORS arent mentioned anywhere, this is not to say they are not important . These are the kinda things that you would talk about in your interview. I.e you'll have more to share with the committee and hence, would better project yourself and your interests by giving examples of the things you've done.

Thanks! Is the 25% GPA in the final selection still two-year or cumulative?

General concensus is it is just those two years BUT, and this is a big BUT Western hasn't really posted what they are doing evaluation wise in a number of years. Last time the published it was 25/25/50 but we can't really be sure anymore (I believe). Schools do change all the time, so it is really just a guess.

Not that it really matters, if you have the gpa and mcat cut offs you should apply in any case. The process does have a random element to it, so apply when/if you can :)

The MCAT cutoff is my Achilles foot. I'm contemplating whether it's worthwhile to kill another summer to boost my MCAT. The sacrifice might be very painful if at the end it doesn't even bring an interview. But given determinism with Western and Queen's applications, this still seems a worthwhile exercise.

The MCAT cutoff is my Achilles foot. I'm contemplating whether it's worthwhile to kill another summer to boost my MCAT. The sacrifice might be very painful if at the end it doesn't even bring an interview. But given determinism with Western and Queen's applications, this still seems a worthwhile exercise.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Yes, it is definitely worthwhile, I encourage you to go for it.

I agree with future_doc here, your lower Mcat would likely imped your options at other schools that Queens and Western. If you see an obvious route that gives you more opportunities to apply, I would suggest taking it. The mcat is annoying, but you can beat it.

General concensus is it is just those two years BUT, and this is a big BUT Western hasn't really posted what they are doing evaluation wise in a number of years. Last time the published it was 25/25/50 but we can't really be sure anymore (I believe). Schools do change all the time, so it is really just a guess.

Although I cannot find an officially published source, the admissions office (arguably THE source) and the student admissions representatives at our school will all unflinchingly confirm that the post interview breakdown IS

25% GPA

25% MCAT

50% Interview

Although I cannot find an officially published source, the admissions office (arguably THE source) and the student admissions representatives at our school will all unflinchingly confirm that the post interview breakdown IS

25% GPA

25% MCAT

50% Interview

any word on what sections of the MCAT they look at? I've heard VR and WS in the past...just curious, any truth to those statements?

I'm still really puzzled as to where they insert the EC's. It seems that they don't have any grading slot for them to use in numerical ranking. Pre-interview selection? But the general consensus on the forums that it's pretty much automatic if you meet the gpa and mcat cutoffs. Post-interview? Where? as part of the "interview share" the way they do it at U of M? If they require EC's, then they should use them. And with hundreds of applicants to compare, there must be some way of standardization, i.e some numerical conversion - there we go again. Just confused.

I'm still really puzzled as to where they insert the EC's. It seems that they don't have any grading slot for them to use in numerical ranking. Pre-interview selection? But the general consensus on the forums that it's pretty much automatic if you meet the gpa and mcat cutoffs. Post-interview? Where? as part of the "interview share" the way they do it at U of M? If they require EC's, then they should use them. And with hundreds of applicants to compare, there must be some way of standardization, i.e some numerical conversion - there we go again. Just confused.

It is pretty much automatic to get an interview if you meet the cut offs. Even their materials suggest you should contact them if you don't get an interview but do have the cut offs!

I have heard that EC consideration is just in the interview, they don't use them specifically in any other way. However I think they are pretty important at the interview. Most of my answers revolved around my EC work and it seemed to help a lot!

It is pretty much automatic to get an interview if you meet the cut offs. Even their materials suggest you should contact them if you don't get an interview but do have the cut offs!

I have heard that EC consideration is just in the interview, they don't use them specifically in any other way. However I think they are pretty important at the interview. Most of my answers revolved around my EC work and it seemed to help a lot!

How much time did they dwell on stuff like health care system, medical ethics, etc? Just EC's and life experiences?

How much time did they dwell on stuff like health care system, medical ethics, etc? Just EC's and life experiences?

There are limits to what I can say happened in my interview, but they cover A LOT of ground. clearly they are trying to evaluate ALL of the standard areas of interest. I had a very densely packed interview :)

I'm guessing non-disclosure agreements?

yeah, I did blank out! I am sure I signed something at Western but to be honest after all the stress and zinging back and forth for interviews I could be wrong. I am fairly sure though we couldn't talk about the interview contents, and some one who tried to on the forums had the posts removed by a helpful moderator.

yeah, I did blank out! I am sure I signed something at Western but to be honest after all the stress and zinging back and forth for interviews I could be wrong. I am fairly sure though we couldn't talk about the interview contents, and some one who tried to on the forums had the posts removed by a helpful moderator.

Yeah, I think it's safe to assume all med school interviews are confidential. That being said, and as mentioned earlier, taking some time to search the 'net or on here will give a good, broad overview of what to expect.

:)

Archived