Premed 101 Forums

Question about how 3/5 courses have to corespond to year level

So you will still get an interview if one of your 3 years meets the cut off and if you get accepted then your acceptance is conditional based on whether your fourth year's gpa also meets the cut off??

basically yes :) There are some finer points we are trying to work out right now, but that is the idea.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Before the cycle begins is probably ideal, but it doesn't really matter that much. Makes sense to do it before you pay the application fee, but in my case I got exceptions from 3 or 4 different schools right around or after the deadline for applying. I'm not sure what the criteria are for when they will and won't give exceptions, but it does happen. Good luck! :)

Thanks! That's what I thought.

What kind of exceptions did you get? (Please PM me if you don't want to post this).

Thanks again :)

BTW, I don't know if I found a loophole around that requirement...but in my university they still have "full-year courses" which give full credits not half. I took 1 full year course in my third year which was a second year course, so in one of my semesters I had 3/5 third year courses while in the other semester I had 2/5 third year courses (the rest is second year), but since one of these second year courses is the same for both semesters could be counted once?

That may sound dumb but I am hoping for anything that would put me back on track :(

Just to tie everything together..

So if I'm going into 4th year..3/5 courses in both the first and second terms, need to be 3rd and 4th year courses.

If this is correct, I can take 3 full year 3rd year courses, and the rest can be courses in 2nd or 1st year?

Just to tie everything together..

So if I'm going into 4th year..3/5 courses in both the first and second terms, need to be 3rd and 4th year courses.

If this is correct, I can take 3 full year 3rd year courses, and the rest can be courses in 2nd or 1st year?

yeah thats correct....I have had many headaches with this problem as well, I have switched programs after second year and now I have to take 2.5 2nd year credits in my third year, after running back and forth between the meds admission office and my faculty office I've been told that i need to take an extra 0.5 credits so that I still have my 3.0 3rd year courses along with my 2.5 second year courses.

Signing up for courses tomorrow....I need a second opinion please....will this work for UWO? I'm going into my 5th year, but it's technically only my 3rd full time year at uni b/c I was a college transfer student.

Note: It's not a 'special year' b/c I didn't graduate. I stayed on to complete a 2nd major and a minor.

Fall term

3 x courses at 300-level

2 x courses at 200-level

1 x course at 100–level

Total for term = 6 courses (3 full course equivalent credits)

Winter term

3 x courses at 300- level

1 x courses at 200- level

1 x lab course at 300-level

1 x lab course at 200-level

1 x lab course at 100-level

Total for term = 4 courses + 3 separate lab credits (2.75 full course equivalent credits)

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your input :)

Hmm....I wonder if they would though, b/c I might only have 3 full courses at the senior level?

interesting point :) The rules don't actually say anything about not dropping one if you just have the 3.0 senor courses, just that if you are over 5.0 your lowest course(s) grade(s) would be dropped, ie they take your best 5.0 credits.

interesting point :) The rules don't actually say anything about not dropping one if you just have the 3.0 senor courses, just that if you are over 5.0 your lowest course(s) grade(s) would be dropped, ie they take your best 5.0 credits.

I guess we'll find out if I apply! First, I have to get those MCAT cut-offs.

I'm having to take an odd mix of courses to make sure I qualify for the other programs I might be applying to, while finishing a 2nd major and a minor. FUN!

I know that for UWO they drop 1 course if you take more than 5 in a semester/year.

How does it work if I have three 4th year courses, two 2nd year courses, and a first year course. Technically its only 50% of my course-load in total that is above my year (I'm in 3rd year), but its greater than the necessary course load. And if I get killed in one of the 4th year courses, then it would only be 2/5, as I would drop that course in GPA calculations.

Does anybody who has or had a similar situation know?

I know that for UWO they drop 1 course if you take more than 5 in a semester/year.

How does it work if I have three 4th year courses, two 2nd year courses, and a first year course. Technically its only 50% of my course-load in total that is above my year (I'm in 3rd year), but its greater than the necessary course load. And if I get killed in one of the 4th year courses, then it would only be 2/5, as I would drop that course in GPA calculations.

Are you speaking of full credits or half credits? Remember, they look at courses from Sept-Apr.

According to the admissions office they take your best 5.0 course. If your lowest GPA courses happen to the ones at or above your year then those are ones not considered.

In other words you 3/5 requirement is independent of the policy of taking more than 5.0 courses. They don't elminate the lowest ones and then see if you meet the 3/5 rule etc.

According to the admissions office they take your best 5.0 course. If your lowest GPA courses happen to the ones at or above your year then those are ones not considered.

In other words you 3/5 requirement is independent of the policy of taking more than 5.0 courses. They don't elminate the lowest ones and then see if you meet the 3/5 rule etc.

Thanks for the info!

Figured as much.

I'll just have to figure out what extra senior level courses I can take in the winter term, just in case...:)

Can you clarify, what you mean by not considered? Do you mean to say that it will not be considered for elimination from GPA calculations, or do you mean that it will not be considered (dropped) when calculating GPA?

I only ask because in my previous term, I took 6 courses, of which 3 were third year (my year of study), one was 4th year, one was second year, and the final course was first year. Now dropping that 4th year course, I had a GPA of 3.82. Are you saying that they will not drop that course, because it is in my year of study or above?

Are you speaking of full credits or half credits? Remember, they look at courses from Sept-Apr.

You're right that they consider courses from September to April, but it's a little different for students in co-op. I remember I e-mailed UWO admissions last year and was told that for students in co-op, the GPA calculations are assessed differently. First off, for students in co-op, they don't look at 2 full years. They only look at 1 full year and 1 semester above the GPA cut-offs. I remember asking if a student with 1 semester over the cut-off and meeting the MCAT cut-offs could be accepted conditionally. The response was "yes" as long they meet the GPA cut-off in the following full-year. It's a little more lenient.

You're right that they consider courses from September to April, but it's a little different for students in co-op. I remember I e-mailed UWO admissions last year and was told that for students in co-op, the GPA calculations are assessed differently. First off, for students in co-op, they don't look at 2 full years. They only look at 1 full year and 1 semester above the GPA cut-offs. I remember asking if a student with 1 semester over the cut-off and meeting the MCAT cut-offs could be accepted conditionally. The response was "yes" as long they meet the GPA cut-off in the following full-year. It's a little more lenient.

Oh neat....Sorry, I didn't know you were in co-op ;)

You are a UW student too? There's more UW students on here everyday hehe :)

Archived