Premed 101 Forums

Question about how 3/5 courses have to corespond to year level

Oh neat....Sorry, I didn't know you were in co-op ;)

You are a UW student too? There's more UW students on here everyday hehe :)

Yup! going into 3B term in the fall for honours biol (non-spec). I was supposed to have 8 months of co-op after that but I got a sequence change so I could do 8-months straight and use my 3A semester (winter 09) and the full year to apply. That way I have a leftover 4B term in Fall '10, in which I can take a couple of the harder courses that I put off, as they won't affect my application GPA.

Are you going into 4A?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can you clarify, what you mean by not considered? Do you mean to say that it will not be considered for elimination from GPA calculations, or do you mean that it will not be considered (dropped) when calculating GPA?

I only ask because in my previous term, I took 6 courses, of which 3 were third year (my year of study), one was 4th year, one was second year, and the final course was first year. Now dropping that 4th year course, I had a GPA of 3.82. Are you saying that they will not drop that course, because it is in my year of study or above?

No I am saying the opposite :) Guess I am not being clear!

Imagine a computer is doing the analysis to see if you can apply to western. The computer will follow two steps when looking at a year:

1) Determine if the year has at least 3.0 credits at or above the student's year at the school

The year you describe meets this check, so the system continues.

2) Take the best 5.0 credits for that year (NO consideration at this point is given to what year those credits happen to be). Determine the GPA from those courses and if it is equal or higher to the cut off. If so have the student met the GPA requirement for the year.

The year you describe also mets this check (its 3.82 which is higher than 3.75).

Done, assuming you hit the MCAT cut offs and there isn't some other weirdness you would get an interview.

This is what the administration has told me is basically done :)

No I am saying the opposite :) Guess I am not being clear!

Imagine a computer is doing the analysis to see if you can apply to western. The computer will follow two steps when looking at a year:

1) Determine if the year has at least 3.0 credits at or above the student's year at the school

The year you describe meets this check, so the system continues.

2) Take the best 5.0 credits for that year (NO consideration at this point is given to what year those credits happen to be). Determine the GPA from those courses and if it is equal or higher to the cut off. If so have the student met the GPA requirement for the year.

The year you describe also mets this check (its 3.82 which is higher than 3.75).

Done, assuming you hit the MCAT cut offs and there isn't some other weirdness you would get an interview.

This is what the administration has told me is basically done :)

Thanks you so much for clearing this up. I guess I will be taking that bird course as a 6th then, just in case.

Yup! going into 3B term in the fall for honours biol (non-spec). I was supposed to have 8 months of co-op after that but I got a sequence change so I could do 8-months straight and use my 3A semester (winter 09) and the full year to apply. That way I have a leftover 4B term in Fall '10, in which I can take a couple of the harder courses that I put off, as they won't affect my application GPA.

Are you going into 4A?

I'm not sure what term I'm going into...maybe 5A? Originally, I was a college transfer student, so technically this will only be my 3rd year of university full time at UW.

:o

I was just looking at the OMSAS Western selection criteria... is it true that apparently 3/5 classes must be year-equivalent courses in only ONE of the two years being considered for the gpa cutoffs? ie) it would be okay if one of the years had 5/10 fourth year courses, and 5/10 third year (assuming the fourth year is one of the two years being considered)?

Also, why does everyone say that Western ONLY looks at those two years (not just for cutoffs, but throughout the entire process)? Apprently that is just for cutoffs, and they consider all years for admission...

I called the admissions office a week ago and asked whether i have to take 3/5 FCE 400 level course in my 4th year. The lady answered the phone said, as long as its 300 or 400 level, its fine.

Today I called again to ask if its ok if 3/5 FCE are 300 level in my 4th year or does it have to be a mix of 400 as well. The admissions office goes, it HAS to be 3/5 FCE in 400 level.

I'm kind of confused right now...I guess according to the FAQ on their website, the second info is more reliable?

Its kind of hard for me to pick out 3/5 FCE in 400 level course because I switched my major and can only enroll in 1 FCE 400 level course. All the other 400 level course I can think of has pre-reqs that I don't have. I could probably take some of them by asking the prof for special permission but it becomes a hassle to do that for 4 half courses.

Also, I asked what is the case for special (aka 5th) year. The lady i spoke to today said, has to be all 300/400 level courses and can't have 100 lvl, 200 lvl (that doesn't have a 100 level pre-req) or repeat courses in your 5th year. But you don't have to take 3/5 FCE 400 level in that year.

Can you guys try calling the admissions office and or go there in person and ask about this 400 level 3/5 FCE issue during your 4th year (for those that live near UWO). Also, is there anyone here on this forum that got accepted or called for interview and didn't take 3/5 FCE 400 level course in your fourth year (assuming you only had one previous year that counted for gpa and not two).

I would really appreciate any help on this. Thanks

I called the admissions office a week ago and asked whether i have to take 3/5 FCE 400 level course in my 4th year. The lady answered the phone said, as long as its 300 or 400 level, its fine.

Today I called again to ask if its ok if 3/5 FCE are 300 level in my 4th year or does it have to be a mix of 400 as well. The admissions office goes, it HAS to be 3/5 FCE in 400 level.

I'm kind of confused right now...I guess according to the FAQ on their website, the second info is more reliable?

Its kind of hard for me to pick out 3/5 FCE in 400 level course because I switched my major and can only enroll in 1 FCE 400 level course. All the other 400 level course I can think of has pre-reqs that I don't have. I could probably take some of them by asking the prof for special permission but it becomes a hassle to do that for 4 half courses.

Also, I asked what is the case for special (aka 5th) year. The lady i spoke to today said, has to be all 300/400 level courses and can't have 100 lvl, 200 lvl (that doesn't have a 100 level pre-req) or repeat courses in your 5th year. But you don't have to take 3/5 FCE 400 level in that year.

Can you guys try calling the admissions office and or go there in person and ask about this 400 level 3/5 FCE issue during your 4th year (for those that live near UWO). Also, is there anyone here on this forum that got accepted or called for interview and didn't take 3/5 FCE 400 level course in your fourth year (assuming you only had one previous year that counted for gpa and not two).

I would really appreciate any help on this. Thanks

"For a student in their 4th year of study, a mix of 3000 and 4000 level courses is acceptable for the 3/5 year level requirement"

That's the exact quote the woman on the phone told me when I phoned and told her that I can only take 1/5 of my classes at the 4000 level due to pre-reqs and course offering. I go to Carleton (in Ottawa), but I assume that it would be the same for your school as well.

"For a student in their 4th year of study, a mix of 3000 and 4000 level courses is acceptable for the 3/5 year level requirement"

That's the exact quote the woman on the phone told me when I phoned and told her that I can only take 1/5 of my classes at the 4000 level due to pre-reqs and course offering. I go to Carleton (in Ottawa), but I assume that it would be the same for your school as well.

When did you call? and you mean calling Westerns Medical School admissions office right? I got mixed info from them (two different lady) within a span of one week...so not sure what exactly is the case.

i really hope they can go easy on this rule, since very few people can manage to take that many 4th year course and actually do well on them.

When did you call? and you mean calling Westerns Medical School admissions office right? I got mixed info from them (two different lady) within a span of one week...so not sure what exactly is the case.

i really hope they can go easy on this rule, since very few people can manage to take that many 4th year course and actually do well on them.

I called near the end of April (the last week I think). Maybe you should send an email to them, so you have it in writing. Or, call again and see what they say a 3rd time, so you'd have the right info.

E-mailed and asked about the 3/5, this was the reply:

"There are a few things for you to keep in mind. The requirement concerning course level only applies to the years being used for the GPA requirement. If you do not wish to use your fourth year for the GPA, then the course levels don't matter to us.

In the fourth year, we will accept a combination of third- and fourth-year level courses. We look at the course load for the entire year, not just one semester, so if you have 3 full or equivalent courses over the year, that will be fine."

So a mix of 3rd and 4th is ok!

• 2 years later...

Im kinda of confused & worried about the 3/5 thing for UWO. In my 2nd year 3/5 courses are 2nd + 3rd year courses, and 2/5 courses are 1st year, will i be able to use this year for my gpa? Also in year 4 i plan on taking 3/5 courses in 3rd+ 4th year courses and the remaining 2/5 courses in either 1st or 2nd year courses to fulfill my degree requirement, would this be acceptable for UWO? Please someone help me, I'm worried and dont want to mess up already at the beginning.

Also why is this found on the UWO website :" It says on your website that the level of courses taken must correspond to the “year” of the program. Is this a requirement for all four years or is it only for those years considered for the GPA?

This requirement only applies to the 2 years used for the GPA requirement. See Question 1 of the Admission Requirments FAQ for further clarification of the course load and level requirements"

Even though when you check the question 1 in the FAQ it says a completely different thing

http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/admissions/medicine/index.php?page=interviewFAQ#FAQ_4

Im kinda of confused & worried about the 3/5 thing for UWO. In my 2nd year 3/5 courses are 2nd + 3rd year courses, and 2/5 courses are 1st year, will i be able to use this year for my gpa? Also in year 4 i plan on taking 3/5 courses in 3rd+ 4th year courses and the remaining 2/5 courses in either 1st or 2nd year courses to fulfill my degree requirement, would this be acceptable for UWO? Please someone help me, I'm worried and dont want to mess up already at the beginning.

Also why is this found on the UWO website :" It says on your website that the level of courses taken must correspond to the “year” of the program. Is this a requirement for all four years or is it only for those years considered for the GPA?

This requirement only applies to the 2 years used for the GPA requirement. See Question 1 of the Admission Requirments FAQ for further clarification of the course load and level requirements"

Even though when you check the question 1 in the FAQ it says a completely different thing

http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/admissions/medicine/index.php?page=interviewFAQ#FAQ_4

Looks like you are fine so fa (Yes your second year would appear to count if you have at least 5.0 credits etc)! In what way do you feel the question1 on the FAQ is contradicting so I can help further clarify? :)

Looks like you are fine so fa (Yes your second year would appear to count if you have at least 5.0 credits etc)! In what way do you feel the question1 on the FAQ is contradicting so I can help further clarify? :)

Its just because on the link I provided for question 7 it states.... "It says on your website that the level of courses taken must correspond to the “year” of the program", and on the FAQ question # 1 it states something else, which i guess is more clear. I was just worried because i thought i would have to change my courses for this year. Also, this might seem like a dumb question but would it be okay if i had half year courses and full year courses mixed? Because in my 2nd year right now I'm taking 7 half year courses in the 2nd and 3rd level, 1 full course in the 1st level, and 1 half course in the 1st level. SO in the end would that be equivalent to 3.5/5 course load?

Archived