Premed 101 Forums

summer courses

Hey guys,

I have a question about taking summer courses. I've tried to find information through looking at the med school's websites (both canadian and american) and searching the forum, but could not find anything satisfactory.

I am planning to take a few prerequisites during summer. I heard some schools do not accept summer school courses as prerequisites. Could you guys tell me which schools don't accept summer school courses, please?

Also, I asked Mac (health sci office) about taking summer courses. They said that if I take them at Mac, those courses will be in my mac transcript, counting towards gpa. But, from what I know, summer courses usually are not included in the calculation of gpa. Could anyone clarify this?

Thanks a lot!

Hey guys,

I have a question about taking summer courses. I've tried to find information through looking at the med school's websites (both canadian and american) and searching the forum, but could not find anything satisfactory.

I am planning to take a few prerequisites during summer. I heard some schools do not accept summer school courses as prerequisites. Could you guys tell me which schools don't accept summer school courses, please?

Also, I asked Mac (health sci office) about taking summer courses. They said that if I take them at Mac, those courses will be in my mac transcript, counting towards gpa. But, from what I know, summer courses usually are not included in the calculation of gpa. Could anyone clarify this?

Thanks a lot!

I can try - some schools coun't them towards your gpa, and others do not. The OMSAS handbook is probably the best source of information for applying and things like this for the Ontario schools.

http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/pdf/b_omsas_e.pdf

Guess it will be updated soon for next years cycle :) More reading!

If I recall Toronto, Western and Ottawa do not count towards your gpa, and Queens (in the cGPA route), NOSM, and Mac will. However all of these schools do count courses in the summer towards your prereqs (although not all schools even have prereqs).

Just wanted to note that it's not that certain schools won't accept summer courses as prereqs, it's that they sometimes won't include them in your GPA. Which can actually be a good thing if you take a notoriously difficult prereq (e.g., organic chem) during the summer--not as much pressure to get the A+. You can definitely always use summer courses toward your prereqs for med school, though.

But, mac health sci office said that summer courses would be included in the transcript and counted towards my gpa. I assume med schools calculate gpa differently, as in not including summer courses? (I know every med school has its own gpa calculation)

But, mac health sci office said that summer courses would be included in the transcript and counted towards my gpa. I assume med schools calculate gpa differently, as in not including summer courses? (I know every med school has its own gpa calculation)

thats why I pointed out the ones that did and didn't (in Ontario at least) :)

Archived