Premed 101 Forums

Bannatyne Immune Status Program

...Anyone know what this is all about? The letter I received said the information would be posted online by the 21st, but it hasn't come up yet (at least not that I can find). Please tell me it doesn't involve med1's drawing blood from each other lol

Nah, you do that in Block 3. Med II's stab you guys with immunizations ;)

...Anyone know what this is all about? The letter I received said the information would be posted online by the 21st, but it hasn't come up yet (at least not that I can find). Please tell me it doesn't involve med1's drawing blood from each other lol

So you need some immunizations for med school. U of M has a program where the med2s administer immunizations to med1s (and students from other faculties) at NO additional cost to the student. You fill out that survey, then you are scheduled in for your required shots.

The immunization is throughout the year (since some shots require multiple dosages) with the first ones starting sometime in October. Dr. Libich will leave something in your school mailbox informing you where and when to go.

TST, Influenza, Hep, MMR, etc.

I personally got everything done through this program other than Hep.

Nah, you do that in Block 3. Med II's stab you guys with immunizations ;)

Just to clarify. Sharps is in Block 3 where med1s take out blood from each other. :P

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm sheepishly going to opt out of the Bannatyne Immune program. This means I require Package B of the immune status forms. The letter said it would be online by May 21, but I can't find it anywhere. Before I start pestering the Faculty of Medicine staff (who are busy enough already this time of year), I thought I'd check here to see if anyone knows anything about it. So...anyone know where I can get Package B? Is it maybe available in hard copy somewhere on campus?

Just wait for the one that will come with your orientation package?

There is still a few things left to do in the mean time like the “Health Care Provider Level C” certification, registering with college, criminal record checks, etc.

Done, done, and done. It's been rainy and cold outside, so I've had nothing to do but get all this med school stuff together. All that's left is immunizations. But if there is going to be a copy of Package B in my orientation stuff as you say, I'll just hang out until it comes, hoping the weather smartens up so I have something else to do besides being an uber-keener.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've had 3 shots of HBV all about 10 years ago (1 in 1998 and 2 in 1999). Should I also get a full series of Hep B shots through the Bannatyne Program? The lady I called told me that I should just check off I am not certain at this point and she said something about them checking my MIMS. Do I have to do anything at this point other than handing in the form?

I've had 3 shots of HBV all about 10 years ago (1 in 1998 and 2 in 1999). Should I also get a full series of Hep B shots through the Bannatyne Program? The lady I called told me that I should just check off I am not certain at this point and she said something about them checking my MIMS. Do I have to do anything at this point other than handing in the form?

Yeah, check off whatever you're sure of. You can always withdraw later on. I think you've covered all your bases with that form.

Fire off an e-mail to Dr.Libich your concerns and he'll tell you what you should do.

I think you should still be covered for at least another 10 years though.

I also saw this when I googled around.

"CDC also does not recommend a routine booster or a new Hep B series when low titers are detected; vaccine-induced antibodies to HBV fall over time, with the majority losing detectable Ab over 12 years. A booster is unnecessary because research in adults has shown that, despite declining levels of detectable antibody, vaccine-induced immunity continues to prevent clinical disease or detectable viremic HBV infection. Periodic monitoring of antibody concentrations after completion of the three-dose series is likewise not recommended."

They might check your serology and go from there. The program will let you know if they'll draw blood for that or just go ahead and give you a booster. Just hand in the form.

They might check your serology and go from there. The program will let you know if they'll draw blood for that or just go ahead and give you a booster. Just hand in the form.

Aww ****. Do we have to check serology for something?

Aww ****. Do we have to check serology for something?

I think you would've already had it done if you needed it done. I had mine checked in October (or so) of med 1 to check if I would need the hepatitis series of vaccines.

Archived